Kraton Is this Overkill??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EOTR

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Because winter has had it's grip on us for so long, and I have yet to get my rig out for it's first bashing session, I have been staying busy on the workbench coming up with some homemade 'upgrades'. Here is just one example. I ordered and installed an M2C chassis brace for my Kraton 4s V2.5. Now, the stock machine screws holding the front and rear diff covers down are M4x40. The ones that M2C sends in their kit are M4x50, to accommodate for the extra depth of the bar. I, however, wanted to extend even those so that I could get them up and above the surface of the diff holders in order to get an M4 locking nut on them. So, I ordered some M4x60's and replaced the ones I rec'd from M2C. The result is in the photo's below.

20240318_133042[1].jpg

20240317_220239[1].jpg

20240317_220152[1].jpg

I've never heard of someone ripping those m4 bolts out on the 3s/4s trucks. I think generally speaking, you're only going to get 1 or 2 full diameter depth thread engagements when threading in. Anything past that supposedly doesn't make a difference.

But hey, nothing wrong with some extra protection. And I'm always for securing things with a locknut. Did the same on the rear center brace for my KEXB 6s.

I've never heard of someone ripping those m4 bolts out on the 3s/4s trucks. I think generally speaking, you're only going to get 1 or 2 full diameter depth thread engagements when threading in. Anything past that supposedly doesn't make a difference.

But hey, nothing wrong with some extra protection. And I'm always for securing things with a locknut. Did the same on the rear center brace for my KEXB 6s.
A steel screw when threaded into metal .. but not plastic. Sadly in plastic the "Plastic" will always have the lower yield to fracture strength, so backing them up with a Nut preventing Pull out is a good mod if such an issue is a possibility. :unsure:

A steel screw when threaded into metal .. but not plastic. Sadly in plastic the "Plastic" will always have the lower yield to fracture strength, so backing them up with a Nut preventing Pull out is a good mod if such an issue is a possibility. :unsure:
The flipside of this is that now instead of the load being spread amongst all the plastic where the internal threads are, the force is likely concentrated as more of a point load on the external surface. Not to say that is worse or better, but it changes the way the the forces are distributed through the rest of the pieces. Something to consider.

I think I was just trying to say that pull out of those m4 screws is very unlikely. Breaking plastics all around it is much more likely at that point, imo.

I’d say that’s definitely stronger. It’s a cheap un laborious mod so why not?

I’d say it’s especially better seen as you have braced the chassis which could in turn transfer more impact to the bulk heads.

My experience with small diameter stainless steel screws/ bolts is they bend easily… again, could be a plus?

Back