Just blew out my front tires. Lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhonfun

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
My son and I have had our Typhon 6s for a while now and we absolutely love it. Would run it sometimes on 6S at 100% on the controller and noticed my front tires started getting bald. So today, they blew out and a huge chunk of foam came out of a 1” slice in the tire. Need replacements.

I really wanted to see if there is a nice all terrain version but from what I’m reading there really isn’t one. That said I’m thinking of buying 2 sets of wheels/tires; one for street and one for off road bashing.

What are your thoughts on the DBoots Hoons 42/100 2.9 Belted tires (white trim version) for the street and DBoots 2-HO tires for offroad? I kind of liked the stock Katar B tires and wondered if the 2 sets I’m looking at would be much better for all conditions driving.

Thoughts? FYI, I still have not put my 100k diff fluid in the center diff. It’s just sitting there in my drawer. Everywhere I read says it would make it drive much better. If someone can give me an example of how that would be great! Not gonna lie, I’m a bit intimidated in taking this thing apart. I’m mechanically inclined but I don’t like working on drivetrains. Lol

If you're mechanically inclined, you'll realize how simple the drivetrain stuff is once you start diggin it out, trust me!

I've never worked on a diff in a 1:1 car, now that's intimidating! haha

As for the tires, you should check out the Badlands for offroad shreddin!

The Hoons work great for street on the Typhon 6S. Can't help with offroad as mine hasn't been there yet.

For road, check out GRP 1/8, go with S5 compound or hire , cheaper and last longer than Hoons as long as you do not go above 100mph.

Offroad Katar is good, maybe Backflip LP will fit (I don't have a Typhon).
There is no all around tire, the Katars will wear down quick on the road (3-4 packs).

For what I have gathered in the last month owning a Arrma Typhon S6 V5, the dboots hoons (gold, silver, white) are great street tires (I have the white version, no complains, great street tires), I also have a set of GRP GTX01-S7 (https://www.amainhobbies.com/grp-gt...tires-black-2-s7-grpgtx01-s7/p944887?v=944890) which I have not used yet but highly recommended (made in softer compounds "S5" etc.)

For off road, the general consensus has been from what I have gathered is the
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires...all-terrain-1-8-buggy-tires-mounted-black.asp
I have a set of this tires but have not used them yet, waiting on the stock tires to wear out first
You can also get these tire with different wheels that look better but may allow more water/debris towards your wheel bearings
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires...l-terrain-1-8-buggy-tires-mounted-mach-10.asp

As far as an all terrain, you can't have your cake and eat it too :(

If you're mechanically inclined, you'll realize how simple the drivetrain stuff is once you start diggin it out, trust me!

I've never worked on a diff in a 1:1 car, now that's intimidating! haha

As for the tires, you should check out the Badlands for offroad shreddin!
Thanks! Will definitely look into doing my diff soon. I heard 100k in the center diff works well. I also bought 50k fluid that I’m thinking of putting in the front.

Do you think this setup will result in a better balance of AWD power sent equally to front and rear? Any downfalls with using these weight diff oils?
The Hoons work great for street on the Typhon 6S. Can't help with offroad as mine hasn't been there yet.
I just started to look into those. Thx man
For road, check out GRP 1/8, go with S5 compound or hire , cheaper and last longer than Hoons as long as you do not go above 100mph.

Offroad Katar is good, maybe Backflip LP will fit (I don't have a Typhon).
There is no all around tire, the Katars will wear down quick on the road (3-4 packs).
Those look awesome too. Thank you
For what I have gathered in the last month owning a Arrma Typhon S6 V5, the dboots hoons (gold, silver, white) are great street tires (I have the white version, no complains, great street tires), I also have a set of GRP GTX01-S7 (https://www.amainhobbies.com/grp-gt...tires-black-2-s7-grpgtx01-s7/p944887?v=944890) which I have not used yet but highly recommended (made in softer compounds "S5" etc.)

For off road, the general consensus has been from what I have gathered is the
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires...all-terrain-1-8-buggy-tires-mounted-black.asp
I have a set of this tires but have not used them yet, waiting on the stock tires to wear out first
You can also get these tire with different wheels that look better but may allow more water/debris towards your wheel bearings
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires...l-terrain-1-8-buggy-tires-mounted-mach-10.asp

As far as an all terrain, you can't have your cake and eat it too :(
Thanks Willl for the info. The badlands definitely look nice.

Last edited:
Thx all for your input!

All this leaves me with another thought...is there any larger diameter street (belted) tire thats similar diameter to the stock wheel/tire setup?

The thing is, the Hoons and GRPs are around 100mm vs the stock 117mm. I have to believe you won’t be able to stretch to 70mph all stock with the high speed 20t pinion due to the smaller tires. So, you either bald and ruin the stock tires on the road and hit those speeds (potentially) or you go with road tires and don’t hit those speeds without modifying the power/drivetrain more. Is this correct?

I have read that people buy 1/5 scale road tires (118mm) but the hubs are different which again would result in a need to modify the car. At least then, given the same diameter wheel setup the car will have a tire setup meant for street and hit the 70+ mph published stock speed.

Just get a bigger pinion, lot cheaper and simpler.
How large of a pinion can you go? And at what point will it overheat the motor and ECU. I read in the instructions that the supplied larger speed pinion gear is not meant for off-road as it will heat everything up. Is this true or not really? Thanks

I believe 24T is the largest that will fit with the stock spur.
you can go to 46 Spur as well or get a spool. Keep in mind that the Hoons' diameter is significantly less and gives less speed as a result. Same with overheating i.e. less until you get back to the same speed range.
By all means, get motor fans or it will burn up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back