Kraton Keaton 4s run time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmegs

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little help.
I just bought a kraton 4s with a spektrum 3s 5k mah. Love the truck so far, but very disappointed in the run time. I only get about 10 minutes or so. Not concerned about speed right now just want more run time?? Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks

I just bought a kraton 4s with a spektrum 3s 5k mah. Love the truck so far, but very disappointed in the run time. I only get about 10 minutes or so. Not concerned about speed right now just want more run time?? Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks
Get better batteries

Get better batteries
Not a very helpful reply.

Are you sure the lipo is balancing properly when on the charger?

Have you checked the esc settings?

Is the motor or esc hot to the touch after those 10 minute run times?

Does the drivetrain roll smoothly?

Do you have another battery you can try?

Thanks
Where are you driving it...grass, tall grass, dirty, etc....? Where are you bashing also has a play if its high traction.

At the end of your 10mins what is the voltage of the pack? Just reduce the LVC on the ESC. It's in the manual. I would drop it to level 2 and run it to see where you end up.
Captureesc.JPG

Where are you driving it...grass, tall grass, dirty, etc....? Where are you bashing also has a play if its high traction.
I was running in the grass only, probably cuts down on the run time. Battery is brand new and has only been charged twice. Battery is 5kmah 3s spektrum Smart.
I did read that 10min in the grass is about right for a 5k 3s????
What would be a better battery setup???

When you get to the end of a run check the voltage. Simple battery checker. I recently ran my 4s and it stopped at 3.85. Batteries will sag under load and hit lvc early reducing runtime. Even new packs will sag a bit. If you reduce the LVC it will give you longer runtime. I like to run my packs to 3.2 - 3.4. Probably will give you another 4-5 mins.

I was running in the grass only, probably cuts down on the run time. Battery is brand new and has only been charged twice. Battery is 5kmah 3s spektrum Smart.
I did read that 10min in the grass is about right for a 5k 3s????
What would be a better battery setup???
When I started the hobby, I bought those Spektrum 5000mah batteries and the charger. I will agree they do seem to run down faster. I now use the China Hobby and get a "little" better time, but it depends on where I am bashing. I bash very hard so I'm on the throttle. Yes, the battery could be more here.

Like the China Hobby batteries, they have a nice punch and a high-end power curve before they drop far better than Spektrum.

When I started the hobby, I bought those Spektrum 5000mah batteries and the charger. I will agree they do seem to run down faster. I now use the China Hobby and get a "little" better time, but it depends on where I am bashing. I bash very hard so I'm on the throttle. Yes, the battery could be more here.

Like the China Hobby batteries, they have a nice punch and a high-end power curve before they drop far better than Spektrum.
Unfortunately space is a big deal with the higher mah battery. Good news, looks like China Hobby has a 6800 pack that is 5 1/2. I will give that a shot.
Any idea on a good charger???
Looking at a gensacearespammers IMARS D300?

Unfortunately space is a big deal with the higher mah battery. Good news, looks like China Hobby has a 6800 pack that is 5 1/2. I will give that a shot.
Any idea on a good charger???
Looking at a gensacearespammers IMARS D300?

I am still using the Spektrum 2100 charger with other batteries. There are a few good posts that talk about chargers; just do a search.

I agree with the 3S rigs, so I have some 5500, 5600, and, I think, 5200Mah. I found those were good enough for those rigs to not cross the 6000+ size

6800 should give you 13-14 mins instead of 10 if running under the same conditions and settings.

Yes, it will be better on 4s and if it's too fast just reduce the throttle percentage. Single pack is normally better but if you have 2 2s packs that are the same go for it.

Yes, it will be better on 4s and if it's too fast just reduce the throttle percentage. Single pack is normally better but if you have 2 2s packs that are the same go for it.
Ok last dumb question, for now at least lol
Looks like a Smart 4s 5k is the biggest battery that will fit ( from spektrum that is). 2 smart 2s 6800 will fit also. Would I get more run time out of the 2, 2s or the one 4s??

Larger mah will give you the longer runtime. Assuming the two 2s packs are the same. The cheapest way to get more runtime is to lower the LVC on your esc. You can do it with a spektrum program card or use the on board menu. Refer to the manual. The LVC is too high out of the box in my opinion. Take it down to level 3 or 2 and see what the runtime looks like. Very safe to run the pack down to 3.3 or 3.4.

Sounds about right.
I get around 12min of runtime w/ 5200 4s packs in my Outcast.

Thanks for the help guys, Very new to Lipo world, this was a big help.
Cheers

Back