Kraton Kraton 4s v2.5 spur cracked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndamico

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Is this a thing? Teeth broken and gear cracked. Is there a better alternative? Pinion missing a tooth too. Happened on a flat landing and I wasn't on the gas or brakes when I hit. Stock motor on 4s.

Thanks

20240314_183450.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm no mechanical engineer, but here's my theory. It would appear that the missing tooth in the pinion gear (as you claim) has wreaked havoc with the ring gear by not only breaking off several teeth but also cracking it. If you notice, the damage appears to be equidistant from missing tooth to cracked ring, to missing tooth again. Perhaps the centre diff was misaligned/offset sufficiently in allowing the tooth in the pinion to break which in turn would cause the damage you see here. The pinion from the motor, rotating at such an incredible speed would not mesh properly with the ring gear because of the missing tooth, and therefore striking it (with this misalignment) and causing the demise of the ring gear.

Disclaimer: I am a mechanical engineer, but no wizard and I would approach it like this: replace what is broken and happy bashing.
I something happens once I would not worry about it too much, does it happens 3 times in a 'row' then something is going on.

Considering the pinion is missing a tooth, you can imagine what going of havoc was going on inside of the gearbox housing for a short moment.

Chinaium metal, it happens. 🤷‍♂️
No need to loose any sleep over..

How does the rest of the vehicle look?
Chassis still intact??

Contact HH and file a claim.
See if they will warranty it.

Chinaium metal, it happens. 🤷‍♂️
No need to loose any sleep over..

How does the rest of the vehicle look?
Chassis still intact??

Contact HH and file a claim.
See if they will warranty it.
Yeah chassis is fine. I did open a warranty claim. Spur gears seem to be hard to get. Does anyone make a stronger one, even go away from mod8?

If one was to 'upgrade' the centre diff ring gear (ARA311167) and the motor pinion gear (ARA310996) in order to get something stronger than the stock steel, where would you suggest.

If one was to 'upgrade' the centre diff ring gear (ARA311167) and the motor pinion gear (ARA310996) in order to get something stronger than the stock steel, where would you suggest.
gpm ring tekno pinion

There are others that have cracked the sintered gears as well. Maybe a defect? Drive style? Sintered metal?

Might be a good time for a hardened steel upgrade 🤔.

I searched the intraweb and found the gpm ring, but cannot find a D5 13T pinion gear from Teckno. They do make one with 14 teeth, but not in the D bore...
Hmm, that’s interesting. Can use Robinson racing instead- but could a circle bore pinion work on a D motor shaft?

Back