Kraton Kraton 4S V2.5 Upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 6s
I very excited to get my first 4S V2.5 Kraton. Should be here in a few days. Could the group recommended any immediate changes to strengthen either performance or durability? Or is it pretty good the way it is bone stock?

Also, I have whole bunch of spare parts for my Big Rock, but zero spare parts for the incoming Kraton. Is there like a table or something that shows what parts are interchangeable between different Arrma models? Maybe some of the Big Rock parts could fit on Kraton? They’re both 1:10. Just trying to prepare and get spare parts for Kraton. Ideally, I won’t break anything for awhile, but I’m still learning to drive so….would like to be prepared. Any advice much appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you Bruce. That looks pretty awesome. I feel kindof stupid on this forum. I should probably ask Google before I ask you guys.

If you’d allow me, maybe I could ask one more dumb question. I’m buying quite a few rigs lately and don’t know much about them. I like working on stuff and I have basic tools.

When I buy a used rig (all I’ve gotten so far) what are the things I should tear apart and check/inspect…lubricate…etc to make sure I’m not hurting parts of my car? Maybe a general checklist when I first get an unknown rig?

I have the new 4S Kraton. I haven't needed to do anything to it, apart from replacing the stock servo saver with the Kimbrough one.

ChrisWithAC RC youtube channel has a video on how to do this. It's a simple modification and will address the Kraton's slow and weak steering out of the box.

I send my Kraton harder and higher than any of my other RCs. I do single and double backflips with it regularly. It's held up great. Unless you drive it like an idiot, I don't think it needs any major upgrades out of the box. If you crash it regularly, it will of course eventually need replacement parts, just like any RC.

Longer-term, I'd look at getting the M2C hinge pin braces. This is apparently a weak point on the truck (I haven't encountered any issues with it yet).

Other than that, you should be fine.

I have the new 4S Kraton. I haven't needed to do anything to it, apart from replacing the stock servo saver with the Kimbrough one.

ChrisWithAC RC youtube channel has a video on how to do this. It's a simple modification and will address the Kraton's slow and weak steering out of the box.

I send my Kraton harder and higher than any of my other RCs. I do single and double backflips with it regularly. It's held up great. Unless you drive it like an idiot, I don't think it needs any major upgrades out of the box. If you crash it regularly, it will of course eventually need replacement parts, just like any RC.

Longer-term, I'd look at getting the M2C hinge pin braces. This is apparently a weak point on the truck (I haven't encountered any issues with it yet).

Thank you very much! I was kind of second guessing my purchase given a lot of folks on this forum said they would pick the 6S EXB all day long over the 4S. Hoping I didn’t buy a sub par rig. I haven’t got a good place (track or jumps) to drive it really yet. As of now…all my rigs get driven on small trails in the woods or on the black top. Hoping to change that soon though. Thx again!

Thank you very much! I was kind of second guessing my purchase given a lot of folks on this forum said they would pick the 6S EXB all day long over the 4S. Hoping I didn’t buy a sub par rig. I haven’t got a good place (track or jumps) to drive it really yet. As of now…all my rigs get driven on small trails in the woods or on the black top. Hoping to change that soon though. Thx again!

There's a lot of dislike towards the 3S and 4S rigs on this forum that I think is unjustified. The 4S Kraton can do probably 80-90% of what a 6S Kraton can do, for 40% less cost up-front and significantly less cost longer-term. The 4S is much lighter weight, much cheaper to repair, and feels much more nimble to me personally, having driven both.

You bought a good rig.

Only other thing I would recommend: buy the Dusty Motors chassis cover. The 4S tub chassis tends to accumulate rocks and dirt and other debris. This cover does a good job keeping that stuff out.

There's a lot of dislike towards the 3S and 4S rigs on this forum that I think is unjustified. The 4S Kraton can do probably 80-90% of what a 6S Kraton can do, for 40% less cost up-front and significantly less cost longer-term. The 4S is much lighter weight, much cheaper to repair, and feels much more nimble to me personally, having driven both.

You bought a good rig.

Only other thing I would recommend: buy the Dusty Motors chassis cover. The 4S tub chassis tends to accumulate rocks and dirt and other debris. This cover does a good job keeping that stuff out.
That’s so good to hear. Thank you again. I’m still very new and have only driven a 6S Typhon and 3S Big Rock. The 6S is way heavier. I like the 3S Big Rock better actually. It’s plenty fast. Wheelies all day long. The 6S Typhon won’t wheelie at all.(6800/100C battery). I was surprised. Although it is still very fast.

That’s so good to hear. Thank you again. I’m still very new and have only driven a 6S Typhon and 3S Big Rock. The 6S is way heavier. I like the 3S Big Rock better actually. It’s plenty fast. Wheelies all day long. The 6S Typhon won’t wheelie at all.(6800/100C battery). I was surprised. Although it is still very fast.
And I’ll definitely get the dust cover thing. Thank you again!

And I’ll definitely get the dust cover thing. Thank you again!

I can’t thank you enough Mighty Atom!

Last edited:
I’d run it first and see how you get on but common things to change first would be the servo and servo saver. You should top up your diff fluids, stock is 200k/500k/200k. I like to turn the punch setting up, timing down and give it some more brake strength.

All in all I think there a pretty well balanced truck straight out the box.

Thank you Danny 1202! I’ll google how to top off diff fluid.

No probs, there are a few YouTube videos out there. I was a bit worried first time doing mine but it’s not a complicated as it seems. Just remember which way round the diff goes in the bulk head other wise the car might go backwards 😂

IMG_7671.jpeg

IMG_7665.jpeg

[...] Just remember which way round the diff goes in the bulk head other wise the car might go backwards 😂

Or worse yet: get one right, and one wrong, and the 2 wheeltrains will fight one another!
Achieved exactly that upon fixing my Axial Yeti Jr Can-Am (a while ago). Not my proudest moment.

Last edited:
Back