Kraton Kraton diff concern

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpark_12

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
I have a V5 Kraton that I’m going through diff gear like crazy. It’s not completely eating them up, but I can run it for 3 packs or so and suddenly I hear a clicking noise on acceleration. I open the diff up and notice 2-4 teeth in a row are lower than the others. I’ve gone through 3 rears and now a front. I’ve been shimming them and I’m not landing on throttle when I jump. Anyone have any ideas, or the same problem that they’ve fixed? I don’t mind replacing them, I’m just trying to make sure if I’m doing something wrong, I can fix it. Thanks!

0A4DC38F-C93F-4EDD-9435-20DDDE55FD88.jpeg

2F14DC72-ED92-43F8-81A9-ECAA31213FCB.jpeg

I would closely inspect your diff case for small cracks. If the case has a small crack it can flex and "expand" under hard acceleration.
I meant, the bulkhead.

So in what time span have you burnt up 4 diffs.. also, have all 4 displayed the same symptoms.. also have you shimmed them the same everytime!?
I’d say 2 months time roughly. All the same symptoms, some have taken one shim, some two.

Housing flex/Input bearings/irregular teeth pattern causing it to not stay concentric and ultimately lose tangency from the spiral=slip under shock load

you need to shim them tighter or something else is going on like said above

Is there play in and out on your pinion when it's in the case? i've had to shim it in or out before to help take up some of the slop.

Is there play in and out on your pinion when it's in the case? i've had to shim it in or out before to help take up some of the slop.
There is a little, but not much at all
I added another shim to the ring side and it quieted down, so that may be the issue. I have a whole new diff for it, so I’m going to keep the clicking one in just to see if it gets worse, or status the same.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back