Kraton Kraton gears and drivetrain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradley fletch

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me if the kraton 6s V5 has any differential or spur/pinion gear problems. I want to know before i get a kraton 6s if there going to break all the time or if the don't really break often. I don't hard bash my cars at all just light bashing on grass really i also don't really floor the throttle from stationary. Will i have alot of issues with any of the gearing or diffs? Any replys will be appreciated :)

No issues to write home about.
As with most any RTR brand and model. Absolutely take out all 3 diffs, top them off with slicone oil and reinstall them with proper shims as required. They are usually very low on oil and the oil is too thin out the box.
Then you should be good for a while. Abuse any rig and the drivetrain will fail sooner than later.
IMHO, not going over a RTR out the box is basically abuse/ user error right there. Because these all are assembled rather fast, and NOT really Ready to Run, without failures quickly. I can easily get 15-20 runs before I do diff maintenance. I don't wait for them to fail and explode. Also make sure the Pinion Mesh is not too tight or loose. Common to find with most any RTR out the box. Don't assume it is good. Also set Steering endpoints and Throttle endpoints right out the box. Calibrate the ESC. Don't assume it is all set up properly. Or you will get caught out there. Promise. Been there.

Last edited:
No issues to write home about.
As with most any RTR brand and model. Absolutely take out all 3 diffs, top them off with slicone oil and reinstall them with proper shims as required. They are usually very low on oil and the oil is too thin out the box.
Then you should be good for a while. Abuse any rig and the drivetrain will fail sooner than later.
IMHO, not going over a RTR out the box is basically abuse/ user error right there. Because these all are assembled rather fast, and NOT really Ready to Run, without failures quickly. I can easily get 15-20 runs before I do diff maintenance. I don't wait for them to fail and explode.
thanks for the advice what silicone oil do you recommend i have seen people running 500k centre?

Depends if you have the EXB LSD diffs or the Standard RTR line diffs. Depends on the chosen model.
I prefer standard "Open diffs" and run 60k Fr/500k/20-30k Rr. (best place to start) For most of mine shown under my Avatar. My FT I am running closer to 800k in the center diff . My TLRT Typhon I run thinner, closer to the stock setup on 4s only. My Kraton RTR on 6s runs what I stated above, and many others here also use these CST oils. Trial and error wil help dial them in better to your liking after you are very familiar with driving it. Just need to have all the oils on hand.
EXB Limited Slip Diffs can more tempermental, and usually run thinner oils closer to stock. They are dialed in by adjusting the LSD Plates. Too thick oils with them makes it lock up sooner and is harder to hook up and drive. Especially with the rear diff.
IMHO, the main advantage of EXB diffs are the stronger Main and Input gears. Which may matter more if running 8s lipo packs/ESC's. EXB diffs and its parts cost more when replacing them. Food for thought.
No matter the diff type, incorrectly shimming them, will wreck them much sooner than later.

Last edited:
ok i will have to buy some diff oil when i go to buy the kraton as i am out of it at the moment. Thank you for all the advice

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back