Limitless Limitless Gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverPoweredRC

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Hey I am new to the forum and fairly new to speed runs. Been in the hobby 15 years.

Does anyone know roughly what pinion is needed for a 6s 2700kv TP 4070cm to run in the 140s on a limitless using the stock spur gear (39t).

Also have a 8s 2200kv TP 4070cm I’m just curious on the gearing and with the voltage sag on a run it’s harder to calculate using gearing calculators.

I am not attempting to set any records just like to have fun :)

Verify that the spur has 39 teeth and not 34

The limitless comes with a 34t spur and the 39t and 29t spurs are options for gearing up or down that can be purchased separately.

For gearing you’ll have to start on the lower side and work your way up to 140mph territory. Almost all speed runners keep gearing secret past about 130mph so you’ll be hard pressed to get a straight (real world and tested) answer.

As someone who’s built a dedicated speed runner and am working my way up to a similar goal I highly recommend starting off with a goal much lower than 140 and slowly work your way up so that you gain the experience needed to drive, maintain and tune the combination. Data logs are invaluable as an aid in the tuning and gearing requirements for this type of setup.

Verify that the spur has 39 teeth and not 34

The limitless comes with a 34t spur and the 39t and 29t spurs are options for gearing up or down that can be purchased separately.

For gearing you’ll have to start on the lower side and work your way up to 140mph territory. Almost all speed runners keep gearing secret past about 130mph so you’ll be hard pressed to get a straight (real world and tested) answer.

As someone who’s built a dedicated speed runner and am working my way up to a similar goal I highly recommend starting off with a goal much lower than 140 and slowly work your way up so that you gain the experience needed to drive, maintain and tune the combination. Data logs are invaluable as an aid in the tuning and gearing requirements for this type of setup.
Thanks for the info and I am an idiot. It is the stock 34t pinion. I know the "pros" are very tight lipped about their combos. I just didn't know how many teeth I could skip as I start buying 18 dollar a piece pinions 1 tooth at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and I am an idiot. It is the stock 34t pinion. I know they "pros" are very tight lipped about their combos. I just didn't know how many teeth I could skip as I start buying 18 dollar a piece pinions 1 tooth at a time.
Speed running is expensive compared to bashing and all the specialty items needed can add up in a hurry. Batteries, connectors, cap packs, range extenders, gps unit, pinions/spurs & tires along with repairs if things go south, and they do.

I started out in the 80’s (mph) and am now tickling 120mph as I move up in gearing/experience and have almost $2k in the build. One wrong move at 100+ and it could all be in pieces in the blink of an eye so don’t move to quickly and overrun your ability/experience.

Speed running is expensive compared to bashing and all the specialty items needed can add up in a hurry. Batteries, connectors, cap packs, range extenders, gps unit, pinions/spurs & tires along with repairs if things go south, and they do.

I started out in the 80’s (mph) and am now tickling 120mph as I move up in gearing/experience and have almost $2k in the build. One wrong move at 100+ and it could all be in pieces in the blink of an eye so don’t move to quickly and overrun your ability/experience.
Sure thing. I have already crashed one of my speed runners. I am well up into the 130s with a slash. (Is that a cuss word here? LOL) I get it 400 dollar set of batteries plus a 1200 car. I have a complete set of SAGA 5mm pinions I just was trying to cut a bit of a corner since I now have to buy 8mm.
132AE781-83BA-4549-BE05-B624BF01715D.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice Rig that‘s gone be fast for sure.
Maybe a stupid question, but where you need the purple power pack for?
I know the one to the right and left is probably the power to the esc 2x 4s correct me if I’m wrong.

If the motor truly outputs 2700 rpms per volt and you get different batteries that don't voltage sag so badly.
Factory Limitless gearing of 34 spur and 27 pinion says you would be near 140mph on 6s (this does not account for aero drag and efficiency issues)

That 2700 can over heat and over amp the ESC quickly, id gear it down in the low or mid 20t range initially till you get the car driving straight etc.

Speed runners move up 1 tooth at a time because they review the data logs of RPMs and Amps. As long as you are in the Mid to low 300 amps range you can likely gear up more.

Example of why MaxAmps are junk:
LiPo ONE YEAR TESTING SUMMARY.jpg

If you had some Turnigy Graphene Panther or CNHL G+ packs you would gain some speed. What ESC are you running?

I know the one to the right and left is probably the power to the esc 2x 4s correct me if I’m wrong.
That’s is a ripple killer cap pack.
If you had some Turnigy Graphene Panther or CNHL G+ packs you would gain some speed. What ESC are you running?
I have several SMC batteries too. The extreme v2 graphene. I have 3s packs as well as the monster 6s pack which is what I run on the limitless.
The little 3s battery under the cap pack is for fans that are ordered but haven’t arrived yet. Power them on their own Lipo so that it doesn’t draw on the batteries feeding the motor.

Sure thing. I have already crashed one of my speed runners. I am well up into the 130s with a slash. (Is that a cuss word here? LOL) I get it 400 dollar set of batteries plus a 1200 car. I have a complete set of SAGA 5mm pinions I just was trying to cut a bit of a corner since I now have to buy 8mm.
View attachment 86259
Ok you’re much further along in the learning curve than I initially assumed. I read your 1st post and thought, hang tight, let’s take smaller steps”.
I didn’t want to see you dive straight into deep waters and have it result in disaster and disappointment without some knowledge of what you were about to get yourself into. You’re past that stage I see ?

That’s is a ripple killer cap pack.

I have several SMC batteries too. The extreme v2 graphene. I have 3s packs as well as the monster 6s pack which is what I run on the limitless.

The little 3s battery under the cap pack is for fans that are ordered but haven’t arrived yet. Power them on their own Lipo so that it doesn’t draw on the batteries feeding the motor.

Ok clearly.
here also problems with order stuff nothing is in stock, there is almost no Arrma left to buy anymore :[

The guy you need to talk to is @phildogg but not sure he’s gonna spill the beans ??????✌?
He’s a pro man he’s not gonna talk about his gearing lol. He has helped me personally a lot with how to set up a car. How to make suspension adjustments, how to cut the rear wing etc. I will take all the help I can get! He also is one of the fastest out there and he’s earned that so I respect his position. The locals in our drag group are very helpful but you aren’t going to get an exact answer not to mention every car is different.
Ok you’re much further along in the learning curve than I initially assumed. I read your 1st post and thought, hang tight, let’s take smaller steps”.
I didn’t want to see you dive straight into deep waters and have it result in disaster and disappointment without some knowledge of what you were about to get yourself into. You’re past that stage I see ?
Oh yeah there was mucho learning curve I have already had some expensive mistakes. I do appreciate your willingness to be helpful very much! I should have joined 6 months earlier! :)

Im already in the Mariana trench! Lol two slashes fully converted a MGT7E and the limitless. If the infraction was in stock I’d have one too! I know the only difference is the GT bumper and the spool vs center diff etc. I still want to try a 7th scale closed wheel. I want to keep the limitless open wheel because it’s cool:cool:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back