Limitless Spur and pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarimus

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all
i purchased a Limitless V2 and a HobbyWing max 6 combo and fitted it all up. The 4985 motor has a 5 mm shaft and the limitless has the standard 39T spur.
I’m in Australia and cannot purchase a Mod 1 pinion any bigger than 30teeth and of course it will not mesh with the 39 spur and I can’t cut any of the motor mount to let it slide in further as the adjustment screws wouldn’t go in. 32teeth is the smallest that will work.
does anyone know if a bigger spur gear say 42 teeth will fit in the limitless or can I use another sort of pinion like 32 pitch or something else.
for now I have an expensive ornament.

any help appreciated

a 42t spur gear will work if it's 8mm. You might need some extra spool spacers if it's not an arrma spur gear though.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/spool-spacer-set/ARA714000.html

I have a 46t spur gear from surpass hobbies on my limitless v2 spool. Mine no longer lines up with the bottom slot on the chassis but if you use extra spool spacers you can avoid that problem. Works just fine regardless.

a 42t spur gear will work if it's 8mm. You might need some extra spool spacers if it's not an arrma spur gear though.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/spool-spacer-set/ARA714000.html

I have a 46t spur gear from surpass hobbies on my limitless v2 spool. Mine no longer lines up with the bottom slot on the chassis but if you use extra spool spacers you can avoid that problem. Works just fine regardless.
Thanks heaps, just ordered a 42 tooth Arrma spur.

i was about to start pulling my hair out.
i bought the limitless V2 about 3 weeks ago, and having the same problem. did fitting a 46T spur fix the problem, for you?

on that note, i don't know much about gearing as such, but what pinion should be paired with a 46T (if this solved the problem, that is) to keep the same gear ratio as with the stock 39T.
since this is going to be a "speed" build, i was thinking about using a 27T pinion for the time being, and later on maybe replace it. i also have a 25 and a 22 ready for use.

on a side note: am i wrong in thinking this is kind of an error made by arrma for using that mount and spur gear? as the OP and me are having the same problem.

FWIW, Arrma makes 46T and 50T gears for their center diffs. Robinson Racing makes a 40T gear which, if I'm not mistaken, is as small as you can go without installing a spool.
i was about to start pulling my hair out.
i bought the limitless V2 about 3 weeks ago, and having the same problem. did fitting a 46T spur fix the problem, for you?

on that note, i don't know much about gearing as such, but what pinion should be paired with a 46T (if this solved the problem, that is) to keep the same gear ratio as with the stock 39T.
since this is going to be a "speed" build, i was thinking about using a 27T pinion for the time being, and later on maybe replace it. i also have a 25 and a 22 ready for use.

on a side note: am i wrong in thinking this is kind of an error made by arrma for using that mount and spur gear? as the OP and me are having the same problem.
Just divide the spur gear by the pinion gear and you'll have your gear ratio. Adjust the pinion tooth count until you get as close to the gear ratio as you can (you probably won't get it exact as there aren't THAT many areas of perfect overlap except for round numbers like 1:1 or 2:1, etc.).

FWIW, Arrma makes 46T and 50T gears for their center diffs. Robinson Racing makes a 40T gear which, if I'm not mistaken, is as small as you can go without installing a spool.

Just divide the spur gear by the pinion gear and you'll have your gear ratio. Adjust the pinion tooth count until you get as close to the gear ratio as you can (you probably won't get it exact as there aren't THAT many areas of perfect overlap except for round numbers like 1:1 or 2:1, etc.).
+1

Hi all
i purchased a Limitless V2 and a HobbyWing max 6 combo and fitted it all up. The 4985 motor has a 5 mm shaft and the limitless has the standard 39T spur.
I’m in Australia and cannot purchase a Mod 1 pinion any bigger than 30teeth and of course it will not mesh with the 39 spur and I can’t cut any of the motor mount to let it slide in further as the adjustment screws wouldn’t go in. 32teeth is the smallest that will work.
does anyone know if a bigger spur gear say 42 teeth will fit in the limitless or can I use another sort of pinion like 32 pitch or something else.

any help appreciated
I'm glad someone brought this up, when I got mine I had the same questions. First...You will need a spool gear not an Arrma spur gear. The spur gear will not git in the spool without some engineering. I purchased a 34 tooth spool gear but it did not really fit well on the V2 spool shaft there are alignment issues, you would need to make a flat spot on the shaft to fit the non OEM spool gear. I wonder why Arrma did not make any factory spool gears that would fit right in to the new spool gear in the V2. The new design also has the long set screws that go through the shaft.

Moirae are you saying you can just replace the spool gear on the V2 with an old spur gear and make it fit by using the spacers?, excuse my slowness.

I'm wondering if anyone is gonna make OEM spool gears for the V2. I'm kinda mentally stuck on 6s, I don't wanna go to 8s unless I can use more conservative gearing. I am not one of these Sharif guys I don't have tools and a shop and I like to keep it OEM as much as possible. I think Arrma did a terrible job on the spool options and these stupid tiny battery trays with humongous freeking straps lol.

I'm glad someone brought this up, when I got mine I had the same questions. First...You will need a spool gear not an Arrma spur gear. The spur gear will not git in the spool without some engineering. I purchased a 34 tooth spool gear but it did not really fit well on the V2 spool shaft there are alignment issues, you would need to make a flat spot on the shaft to fit the non OEM spool gear. I wonder why Arrma did not make any factory spool gears that would fit right in to the new spool gear in the V2. The new design also has the long set screws that go through the shaft.

Moirae are you saying you can just replace the spool gear on the V2 with an old spur gear and make it fit by using the spacers?, excuse my slowness.

I'm wondering if anyone is gonna make OEM spool gears for the V2. I'm kinda mentally stuck on 6s, I don't wanna go to 8s unless I can use more conservative gearing. I am not one of these Sharif guys I don't have tools and a shop and I like to keep it OEM as much as possible. I think Arrma did a terrible job on the spool options and these stupid tiny battery trays with humongous freeking straps lol.
Yep, I messed around with rebuilding the spool like 10 times I also had to move the pinion on my motor shaft since they didn't line up anymore but that was simple. I'm pretty sure I'm not using flat spot either but tbh I don't remember. I know I've had zero problems though and I didn't do much but tinker with putting the spool together.

I suck at this stuff tbh so if I could do it literally anyone can 🤣

Yep, I messed around with rebuilding the spool like 10 times I also had to move the pinion on my motor shaft since they didn't line up anymore but that was simple. I'm pretty sure I'm not using flat spot either but tbh I don't remember. I know I've had zero problems though and I didn't do much but tinker with putting the spool together.

I suck at this stuff tbh so if I could do it literally anyone can 🤣
Thanks Bro, I'll try again lol. I had decided to wait for Arrma to produce OEM large spools lol. Also one more dumb question, does anyone know if the old V1 motor mount fits the new V2 chassis that would be awesome.

Thanks Bro, I'll try again lol. I had decided to wait for Arrma to produce OEM large spools lol. Also one more dumb question, does anyone know if the old V1 motor mount fits the new V2 chassis that would be awesome.
It fits. I even have the v2 mount installed in my felony so I can use coke can motor. I have pps in the v2. I should stop being Lazy and take a pic of my limitless spool. I was also planning on making another one.

It fits. I even have the v2 mount installed in my felony so I can use coke can motor. I have pps in the v2. I should stop being Lazy and take a pic of my limitless spool. I was also planning on making another one.
Thank, and I second the notion, on being lazy and taking the pic lol. So why don't Sarimus, I and everyone else just use the old mount on the V2 till we are ready to gear up. I should have tried it or at least stopped being lazy and taken some measurements lol. Bro... and I should have asked you I knew you would know. I heard you either have all the answers or make it up lmao. JK.

And thanks

Thank, and I second the notion, on being lazy and taking the pic lol. So why don't Sarimus, I and everyone else just use the old mount on the V2 till we are ready to gear up. I should have tried it or at least stopped being lazy and taken some measurements lol. Bro... and I should have asked you I knew you would know. I heard you either have all the answers or make it up lmao. JK.

And thanks
Well the stock v1 mount will fit but it doesn't make a diff useable as the hole location for the motor mount is in a slightly different position because of the shorter trays and xlx2 support.

It just means you can use the stock v1 mount with the stock v2 spool, but you still must use the v2 spool haha. I definitely don't know a lot; I just spend a lot of time on the forums clicking refresh because I don't have poop else to do. :ROFLMAO:

Honestly bro, installing a different spur gear onto the spool is really simple and easy. The only reason it took me so long to do it was because I didn't understand that I needed more spool spacers and I spent a lot of time building it and rebuilding it trying to get the gear to line up with the slot in the chassis. Eventually I gave up and said, "why do I need it to line up if it's not touching the bottom of chassis?". I even bought spacers for it and never even installed them because it's been working fine without them.

I actually bought #ARA311069 which is the new longer spool outdrive cup so I can turn a v1 limitless spool into the v2 as I had a spare one sitting around.

Hi all

any help appreciated
Based on what Moire is saying would you consider swapping out the V1 motor mount and use lets say a 27/39 gearing until you are ready to gear up?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back