Lipo having sweet smell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
One of my lipo hardcase has a sweet smell to it... he is not puffy or hot he has been in storage mode for quite a while now. I can just smell it when i put my nose next to the exit of the wires

giphy.gif

I need to know ?

Seriously though, I don’t think scratch n’ sniff batteries are a thing; or are they ?

If ? smell then it’s probably bad. The more stinky the ? the better it usually is ??

Really though; strange smelling battery does not seem right. Wonder if there is a leak.

Well if there was any sort of leak the battery would instantly puff up and shortly combust into a ball of smoke/fire... the second part may take a little long (minute or so) if the leak is microscopic, but the puffing will happen instantly. Did it always smell this way? Are you sure nothing near it has put the smell on it (engraved the smell)? Chargers typically release a bit of gas, I forget what it is, but it's a small amount. We're told (automotive shops) to have properly vented battery charging and maintaining stations for this reason. Now yes, lead acid batteries have different compounds, but lipo chargers still release some sort of gas. Really I wouldn't worry about it. Buy some lipo safe bags if it makes you feel safer (it is much safer to use lipo safe bags) and don't worry about it

Well if there was any sort of leak the battery would instantly puff up and shortly combust into a ball of smoke/fire... the second part may take a little long (minute or so) if the leak is microscopic, but the puffing will happen instantly. Did it always smell this way? Are you sure nothing near it has put the smell on it (engraved the smell)? Chargers typically release a bit of gas, I forget what it is, but it's a small amount. We're told (automotive shops) to have properly vented battery charging and maintaining stations for this reason. Now yes, lead acid batteries have different compounds, but lipo chargers still release some sort of gas. Really I wouldn't worry about it. Buy some lipo safe bags if it makes you feel safer (it is much safer to use lipo safe bags) and don't worry about it
I think i will discharge it

Imo it's more of a sweet smell with a chemical aftertaste. Cells going bad, it's what mine do before discharging one or more cells below 3.00v
Put granny in hospice, there's a few more charges left but she's in her way out from my experiences with with lipos

I had received a brand new 6s pack. KcrTek.Some bs China lipo. 5000mah from Amz. Prime. Priced cheap. I believe it was like $38. shipped. Think I was the very first sale. The item was just posted. The seller wasn't even ranked yet. I didn't even need a new pack. But I like to try and evaluate some amz stuff here and there. And give amz reviews. I opened the box , the lipo was hermetically sealed once I tore it open, omg what sweet smelling stink. It stunk out the whole house for hours. No puffing. Looked like a nice new lipo. I tested it. All cells balanced at storage voltage no prob.
I left it outside on my glass patio table overnight, brought inside, same sweet smell, just as strong as the night before. I called amz and emailed the seller. Seller said never heard of that smell before. Said refund was in order and I got a refund. They told me to dispose of the battery. I left it outside in my shed for a few months and one day I decided to charge and play with it outside on my charger. It charged fine, decent resistance values etc. Discharged it. No puffing etc. Recharged it and ran it. It was a fine lipo. But it still had a faint sweet smell. Still smells to this day. But a decent pack.It just needed to air out. But I always keep an eye on that pack.
Probably that sweet smell of "cheap" everyone talks about.:LOL: Never had any other lipo smell like that one.

Last edited:
It is very likely that it is leaked. For safety, best not to use it again, or contact and confirm with the battery manufacturer .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back