Looking for extra long rod-ends

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obessedwithrc

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Talion EXB
  5. Typhon 6s
  6. Typhon TLR
  7. Vorteks
  8. Infraction 4x4
I am looking to increase the length of the shock, ear-to-ear, by 10mm to get more droop. I do not want to purchase new/ different shocks. I was thinking longer shock-rod ends might work. Any ideas on longer shock-rod ends?

If you’re not monster jumping just add a stand-off and a 10.9/12.9 stud with thread length at least as long as the factory male end.

You’re going to need to confirm and limit over compression however.

I'm working on a custom Lasernut. I built it from the ground up—full Vitavon (chassis, cvds, steering rack, hubs, etc.). I've tried to find shocks that give the Lasernut a little extra droop, but I have not been successful at finding different shocks that offer a longer length while also fitting the Lasernut shock standoffs on the shock towers. The Techo SCT/ MT410, Arrma, etc., 1/8th scale shocks don't work because the shock cap interferes with the shock tower. Obviously, I can use different shock standoffs that extend out more, but this changes the angle of the shock dramatically, and the shock rod end then will bind where it's fastened to the a-arm.
So, I'm essentially looking for a 1/10th scale shock that measures 94mm front and 107mm rear—a shock that's beefy enough to handle the Lasernut. While the Lasernut is essentially a stretched Losi Tenacity and is technically 1/10th scale, the weight (especially with aluminum parts) is that of a 1/8th scale rig. For reference, the Lasernut has a similar wheelbase to that of the Talion 6s.
I'm trying to see if I can get Traxxas GTR shocks to work, which are just slightly shorter than what I'm looking for. So, I'm seeing if I can lengthen the shock rod ends to give them an extra 10mm or so. The shock rods themselves are 3.5mm, so the 4mm shock rod ends found on the 1/8th scales won't work. I might just try to find longer shock shafts that are 3.5mm—it looks like a lot of brands use 3.5mm shock shafts. If I found a longer shock shaft, I would just need to limit the upstroke by using a bump stop on the shaft and then making sure the rig can still bottom out completely.
That's what I'm working on!

TBH, why would you want to add more droop?
I found dialing out much droop keeps it more durable. Stays lower and planted more.
I see you are modding there. I get it.

I'm trying to add more travel because it seems like there really isn't all that much down travel with the Lasernut. It's supposed to be a rock racer, which in theory, on bumpy, demanding desert tracks, would require much more travel than a short-course truck. That said, the shocks that come with the Lasernut are the exact same shocks that come on the Losi Tenacity TT Pro. Losi essentially took a Tenacity TT Pro, stretched it, and then added a different body style. So, both the Lasernut and the Tenacity TT Pro have the same travel, suspension, and a-arms. There is, however, additional room for more down travel, without binding the driveshafts and destroying the diff outdrives. The place where I run the truck is primarily loose sand with 1/2-inch to 1-foot high dunes. If I can get a little more down travel I'm thinking that might help with the terrain. My Mojave 6s EXB does great on the terrain.

Not familiar with the platform, but can you move the upper mount position down the tower or is it plastic?

Great question. The stock Lasernut comes with T-6061 aluminum shock towers. I upgraded to Basherqueen carbon 5mm carbon fiber shock towers. Unfortunately, there are only two positions to choose from.

s-l1600.jpeg

I am looking to increase the length of the shock, ear-to-ear, by 10mm to get more droop. I do not want to purchase new/ different shocks. I was thinking longer shock-rod ends might work. Any ideas on longer shock-rod ends?

My co-worker purchased me a Lasernut in Portland and shipped it to me, LN-U4. After going all over it and getting it ready, I found that the owner put stiffer springs all around. It looks like the stock I accidentally found out when I had my DB Pro out servicing it and grabbed the wrong shock for the DB. With the thicker spring, you can feel it is night and day. I have no idea of the part number.

Point for my LN U4, I like how the stiffer springs hold better than the stock springs, which are the same as the DB Pro. Why not do this from the factory for the heavier LNI do not know. It allows the LN shock to do its job with better spring tension to hold the rig and shock perfectly.

Interesting! I have a ton of SCT shock springs of varying stiffness. I'll have to try that out. Thanks for the tip!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back