Outcast MAX6 with Castle 2200kv motor gearing. TEMPS!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sykobabble

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I been trying to find a sweet spot for temps with the MAX6 paired with a 2200kv motor from Castle. I started with a 14t and got the motor to 190 with the MAX6 sitting at less than 100f. I went ahead and bumped up to a 17t and I was able to get the motor up to about 170 kinda blasting around in grass with the MAX6 at 120f TOPS. Im wondering if i can get some input from you guys about bumping up or what i should be looking for in terms of temps. Im thinking of going to a 19t to see if i can load up the ESC some more since it seems like i have some head room. Any tips on which direction i should be going? Is the motor still spinning too fast?

i wouldn't want to push that motor past 170-180 temps very long. Either Add cooling fans or gear down.. I don't know if the Hobbywing has where you can lower the timing. that may help

rotor demagnetizes at 200F but at 200F coil insulation will have already melted.Try to keep temps under 160F.
Also,remember the 2-3sec rule.If you can't touch the motor for 2-3sec,then it's very hot.

i wouldn't want to push that motor past 170-180 temps very long. Either Add cooling fans or gear down.. I don't know if the Hobbywing has where you can lower the timing. that may help

rotor demagnetizes at 200F but at 200F coil insulation will have already melted.Try to keep temps under 160F.
Also,remember the 2-3sec rule.If you can't touch the motor for 2-3sec,then it's very hot.
I had a 14t and i got to to 190 after some blasting speed runs. in the field i got it to 170s or so. i could have kept going. ESC was at 100f no matter what. after i got the 17t on it seems to have cooled down just a bit. ESC was 120f no matter what. im wondering if i can go up a few and help with temps in the motor due to rotation.

You will see higher motor temps with a larger pinion. I had nothing but temp issues with that motor in my Notorious.

Not a bashing 6S motor, sporadic bursts with ample cooldown will be its only chance at survival long term.

4S, light plastic rigs, or speed runs only

Unfortunately the Castle 2200kv motor is already at it's limits with stock gearing and the only way you are going to get more speed is a larger motor. If you are on a budget and do not mind waiting on the slow boat something like this will be much better paired with a 18T-20T pinion pick the 4092 1650kv option. I would also suggest to put some gorilla tape or duct tape over the whole on the backside of the motor plate where the bearing is exposed as it will help keep dirt out of the bearing https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801780462353.html?spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.4.1e64CVZyCVZy0F&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US$ 67.99!US$ 47.59!!!!!@2103010b16813342943286611ed6ae!12000018258591316!btf&_t=pvid:10d2a747-2bd3-48ce-9f17-d8068678628e&afTraceInfo=1005001966777105__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1681334294&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

The same motor from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Surpass-Rocket-Brushless-Sensorless-Traxxas/dp/B093737MRK

Unfortunately the Castle 2200kv motor is already at it's limits with stock gearing and the only way you are going to get more speed is a larger motor. If you are on a budget and do not mind waiting on the slow boat something like this will be much better paired with a 18T-20T pinion pick the 4092 1650kv option. I would also suggest to put some gorilla tape or duct tape over the whole on the backside of the motor plate where the bearing is exposed as it will help keep dirt out of the bearing https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801780462353.html?spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.4.1e64CVZyCVZy0F&pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US$ 67.99!US$ 47.59!!!!!@2103010b16813342943286611ed6ae!12000018258591316!btf&_t=pvid:10d2a747-2bd3-48ce-9f17-d8068678628e&afTraceInfo=1005001966777105__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1681334294&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

The same motor from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Surpass-Rocket-Brushless-Sensorless-Traxxas/dp/B093737MRK
Im planning on a 1730kv motor. the hobbystar 4092.

Im planning on a 1730kv motor. the hobbystar 4092.
Hobbystar motors are made by the same OEM as the Surpass Rocket motors for what it is worth.

If that’s your choice I’d pick the 1600kv motor, buy some fans for it, and go have some fun. I think the HW 1650 is just about perfect, but it’s a 49mm can and with fans it never gets hot, even in my heavy Mojave.

If that’s your choice I’d pick the 1600kv motor, buy some fans for it, and go have some fun. I think the HW 1650 is just about perfect, but it’s a 49mm can and with fans it never gets hot, even in my heavy Mojave.
Its just that ive seen the 1650kv inside of a pretty heavy Outcast type build and my Outcast seems to be pretty light. 11lbs 6oz to be exact with no battery. I saw it as being pretty tqy so i was looking at the 1730kv cause i suppose that was a good balance with a 18t or so. What do you think?

Its just that ive seen the 1650kv inside of a pretty heavy Outcast type build and my Outcast seems to be pretty light. 11lbs 6oz to be exact with no battery. I saw it as being pretty tqy so i was looking at the 1730kv cause i suppose that was a good balance with a 18t or so. What do you think?
I don’t know, but I’ve never run that high of an aftermarket KV motor in any of my 6s rigs. Of course the Spektrum ones (RTR’s) are 2050. I would guess it would be fine, just watch your temps and gear accordingly, but as @slick2500 said I also have no experience with that motor. I can’t stress enough how much even a cheap double motor fan setup helps though. I wouldn’t run any of my bashers without motor fans.

Last edited:
I don’t know, but I’ve never run that high of an aftermarket KV motor in any of my 6s rigs. Of course the Spektrum ones (RTR’s) are 2050. I would guess it would be fine, just watch your temps and gear accordingly, but as @slick2500 said I also have no experience with that motor. I can stress enough how much even a cheap double motor fan setup helps though. I wouldn’t run any of my bashers without motor fans.
I was running two fans, yeah racing with a heat sink, and when i turned my BEC up for the servo i kinda noticed the ESC getting hot. This was with no load and just spinning the car up. I did not check temps, but is this common?
Thanks to all. Im just trying to get my build right. Appreciate all the replies.

I was running two fans, yeah racing with a heat sink, and when i turned my BEC up for the servo i kinda noticed the ESC getting hot. This was with no load and just spinning the car up. I did not check temps, but is this common?
Thanks to all. Im just trying to get my build right. Appreciate all the replies.
Under no load at all I wouldn’t think the ESC would/should run any hotter by turning up BEC voltage. There is no amp draw at all at that point with two extra fans (maybe 2 or 3 amps) and generally speaking the higher voltage you run through the BEC the better all components, especially the servo, perform. I’ve never had an issue running the highest BEC voltage that everything can support without toasting. (For example, if you have a servo/lights/fans that has max 6v input, then obviously don’t put 8v into your BEC.)

Under no load at all I wouldn’t think the ESC would/should run any hotter by turning up BEC voltage. There is no amp draw at all at that point with two extra fans (maybe 2 or 3 amps) and generally speaking the higher voltage you run through the BEC the better all components, especially the servo, perform. I’ve never had an issue running the highest BEC voltage that everything can support without toasting. (For example, if you have a servo/lights/fans that has max 6v input, then obviously don’t put 8v into your BEC)
Interesting and thanks for the knowledge. I would like to state that this was before i swapped out a faulty receiver and maybe that had something to do with it. I did just plug the fans back in because i do want to run them, and after running the car for a few minutes with no load, i didn't notice the temp issue from before. Maybe the faulty receiver was causing the problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back