Talion Talion XL motor temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulthraxis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Some back round here.
I'm running a talion XL EXB with 3.8 trencher HP no binding in drive train.
Max 5 g2 5690 1250KV on 6S 6200 mAh 90c CNHL racing series.
22T pinion 50T spur Stock 43/10 diffs.

I'm still seeing motor temps in the 150F with 60F ambient.

Knowing that this is a 1/5 scale motor ESC combo I'm feel like I should have better temps then this for a 1/7 scale car. When next summer comes I feel I will be over temp.
ESC is supper chill all most ambient. Motor pushing 150F. I feel like if I was over geared/load I would have more heat in the ESC or the Lipo. Lipo is less then 6 months old and have had 0 problems with it.
Am I under geared? Is that my problem. Some outside input would be nice.

153F I stopped to test run with check for binding in drive train and now I'm here just off to me.

Last edited:
This with fans? I definitely think you're undergeared. You should try something like 25/46 or 26/46. To put it into perspective, people with 1650kv gear around 19/50 and you're BARELY higher than that with a kv that is much much much lower. You probably are spending a lot of time on the extreme end of the throttle because of it.

Gonna be a nice speed increase too. something like 12-15 mph.

This with fans? I definitely think you're undergeared. You should try something like 25/46 or 26/46. To put it into perspective, people with 1650kv gear around 19/50 and you're BARELY higher than that with a kv that is much much much lower. You probably are spending a lot of time on the extreme end of the throttle because of it.

Gonna be a nice speed increase too. something like 12-15 mph.
+1. You need to gear up. You’re only geared for mid 50s which will cause excessive heat build up on that motor.

I run a Castle 1721 1260kv in my Kraton. Geared 24/44 for ~70mph on 6S. Temps stay under 130F no matter what I do. No fans.

P.S. Those heavy tires with that big motor might start killing diffs. I’d keep your punch setting down.

160F is normal if you’re severely under geared and full throttle often.

I run 20/46 in one of my 3 Mojave with a Max 8 v3 and 3.8 Badlands for reference, 1730kV motor likes to be 160-180F for efficiency.

IMG_0478.jpeg

Thanks for this feed back I will try going up a few pinion teeth Punch is at level 1 because I know the 3.8 trenchers want to eat diffs. Looking a few sets of smaller road tires but there traction on wet grass is just so good.

Thanks for this feed back I will try going up a few pinion teeth Punch is at level 1 because I know the 3.8 trenchers want to eat diffs. Looking a few sets of smaller road tires but there traction on wet grass is just so good.
You will need a new spur, max pinion size with stock spur while still using 2 screws on the top is 23 iirc, You could use 1 screw and get 1 or 2 teeth bigger but that won't even be enough to fix your problem. You definitely need to go at least 46t spur :cool: (y)

If you wanted to go 40T spur, 22T is the smallest pinion that will mesh properly with the latest Arrma motor mount.

You will need a new spur, max pinion size with stock spur while still using 2 screws on the top is 23 iirc, You could use 1 screw and get 1 or 2 teeth bigger but that won't even be enough to fix your problem. You definitely need to go at least 46t spur :cool: (y)
Have a scorched roto-lock mount so for now the 50T spur can stay went to a 26T pinion I have from 22T putting me just over 1.9-1 from all most 2.3-1
Will end up getting a 44T spur just to get more space battier side any ways if this works out.
Might need to go more but I need to order parts spurs pinions for that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back