Mesh first timer tried paper trick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaitymacsdad

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Is this mesh okay or ti tight
20230418_153131.jpg

It's kind hard to tell from this angle but I think it looks alright. I like to set my mesh by ear. Just rock the spur gear back and forth with the pinion fixed in place and I'm listening for a nice consistent ticking sound without having to move the gear too much. At some point when you get in too tight, the ticking will get quieter as the gap from tooth to tooth becomes so small that it just start bumping from side to side instead of ticking. When you go too far apart, the sound becomes more of a clacking and that's when you're too far out. I tried the paper method at first but I found the results too inconsistent for my liking. Going by sound was way more reliable. But that's just me. YMMV :)

Too tight generally causes some resistance when rolling the spur by hand. Should be a very slight clicking when you move the spur gear back and forth.

How's this
20230418_154904.jpg

It's kind hard to tell from this angle but I think it looks alright. I like to set my mesh by ear. Just rock the spur gear back and forth with the pinion fixed in place and I'm listening for a nice consistent ticking sound without having to move the gear too much. At some point when you get in too tight, the ticking will get quieter as the gap from tooth to tooth becomes so small that it just start bumping from side to side instead of ticking. When you go too far apart, the sound becomes more of a clacking and that's when you're too far out. I tried the paper method at first but I found the results too inconsistent for my liking. Going by sound was way more reliable. But that's just me. YMMV :)
20230418_154904.jpg

20230418_154904.jpg

Again, from this angle it looks alright to me. The tips of the teeth don't look like they're about to bottom out and what looks like about a 0.25-0.3mm gap between the surfaces (not being able to see the teeth from a 90° side on view, I'm just shooting from the hip) it looks fine. If there's a tiny bit of play so that you can rock one of the gears back and forth a little bit before it engages would be a good way to test it.

Take a piece of paper an stick it between gears and try to roll the gears,if it binds its to tight.

I like to use this method, just make sure you take off your tires and place the car on something sturdy. With metal to metal gears the noise will be louder.

Listen bro.. it's click-clack 😡

View attachment 293832
Make sure to set it to a click-clack, but then turn it 1/4 turn, and make sure it still click-clacks, then another 1/4 turn etc… I have had them sound ok at one orientation and then bind at 180 degrees.

I gave up on the paper trick, it worked less than 50% of the time IME. Also, I would never say your mesh is OK by looking at a pic, I need to see it move and hear it touch each end/other tooth of the other gear before I decide a mesh is set.

three times i've used the paper trick i've had no problems....maybe i should actually inspect the gears sometime hahhaha

three times i've used the paper trick i've had no problems....maybe i should actually inspect the gears sometime hahhaha
That is easier than said than done in some cases... I have transition bifocals and a flashlight, and I still have a hard time setting it by eye/feel...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back