Minnesota Typhon speed build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is castle still being strict on warranty claims for the xlx? I heard a while ago they were because of speed runners using them and running too many amps and frying them. Max amps I ever drew was 326.

I don’t know; my fedex was delivered to castle today. My typhon GT8LE with tp 4050cm 3200kv was just sitting still after 5 minutes into an awful parking lot jont with no real power - it burst into ? It was run only twice prior to this event and never really made It wide open throttle ?

I don’t know; my fedex was delivered to castle today. My typhon GT8LE with tp 4050cm 3200kv was just sitting still after 5 minutes into an awful parking lot jont with no real power - it burst into ? It was run only twice prior to this event and never really made It wide open throttle ?
That's terrible. I think I got maybe a dozen runs. I'm gonna call castle tomorrow. Their website says they will sell a new esc at a discounted rate if they feel the esc was abused, over powered or over geared etc.

Not overgeared, overweight, overpowered, or abused. Too much time, effort and fabrication went into the build. Not chasing speed ?

Not overgeared, overweight, overpowered, or abused. Too much time, effort and fabrication went into the build. Not chasing speed ?
Your case sounds like a manufacturer's defect. They should replace it for free. Website says 3 to 6 weeks for repairs and possibly longer for replacements, depending on if they have any in stock.

Update on the esc situation. Called castle today and it's probably not gonna be covered under warranty and they are willing to sell me a new one for 143.00 dollars including shipping. They said they are currently out and will have more next month sometime. I asked him what amperage these esc's are rated for and he said 160 Amps. I told him I was hitting 326 at full throttle. Rep replied it "should" be able to handle that amperage but for maybe four seconds max. I guess the typhon is getting the xlx had had saved for the limitless.

Update on the esc situation. Called castle today and it's probably not gonna be covered under warranty and they are willing to sell me a new one for 143.00 dollars including shipping. They said they are currently out and will have more next month sometime. I asked him what amperage these esc's are rated for and he said 160 Amps. I told him I was hitting 326 at full throttle. Rep replied it "should" be able to handle that amperage but for maybe four seconds max. I guess the typhon is getting the xlx had had saved for the limitless.

What was their reasoning behind not covering?
Were you able to pull logs from it after the fire or was that from before?

Those sort of amps are pretty normal readings on the XL-X logs. I have conspiracy theory that it is actually outputting more like 180 amps and the data logs are bogus when it comes to amps and watts.

-Liberty

Back in business. Forgot to add, the castle tech also mentioned the high ripple voltage will kill an esc. Your ripple voltage shouldn't be more than 10% of the nominal voltage you are running. For example, I'm running 6s. So the nominal voltage for 6s is 22.2v. So you wouldn't want your ripple voltage more than 2.2v. Looking at past logs my ripple voltage at times 4v to 5v. Way too high. The one log I got with the killmode cap pack installed the max ripple was 1.82v. Way better. Should have used a cap pack from the beginning. I am going to try and squeeze in a quick run in tomorrow. Wish me luck. Lol

Attachments

• 20190822_180612.jpg
    20190822_180612.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 41
Got my first run in today with the new ESC. only picked up 3 mph over my old pb of 112. Was expecting to break 120 mph with the new motor. On 6s I should be hitting around 50k rpm and im only hitting 38k rpm. Either I'm not hitting full throttle long enough or gearing is too high is my guess. I'm running 27/38 gearing. After two runs motor temp was 110F and data log showed esc temp about 163. using temp gun on esc showed about 120F. I think i can safely jump up two or three teeth on the pinion but may be limited to one run instead of two. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2019-09-01 (2).png
    2019-09-01 (2).png
    420.2 KB · Views: 46
Many speed runners utilize 2 packs in parallel to battle against voltage drop. I see it went down to 18.5 volts during one run. That is big hit to the total power.
With that said brushless motors drop in torque after 38k rpm. Maybe @phildogg
Could help about rpms. He has seen far more data logs than I have.
Mine seem to always peak peak speed around 37k rpm
This graphic might help:

Many speed runners utilize 2 packs in parallel to battle against voltage drop. I see it went down to 18.5 volts during one run. That is big hit to the total power.
With that said brushless motors drop in torque after 38k rpm. Maybe @phildogg
Could help about rpms. He has seen far more data logs than I have.
Mine seem to always peak peak speed around 37k rpm
This graphic might help:
View attachment 47213
I have thought about running two batteries in series but with my current setup it's just not possible. With getting the limitless I'm just not interested in doing anymore major changes to the typhon. And I thought I heard a 1v per cell drop is about normal when running one battery for speed runs? Am I wrong? I would like to find another 6s pack to try but it will have to wait till funds come available.

You are correct (1v per cell on 5000mAh) is very normal. On 6000mAh I had seen 0.8v per cell and 10,00 mAh was closer to 0.5v.

A few more volts at 300+ amps will net some additional speed.

115mph is still great either way...
Are you still on the same gearing from the 1950kv motor? (On the new 2900kv)

Aerodynamics provide the biggest penalties. Modifying airflow on the car will yield improvements for little to no cost if you are creative. But I understand the perspective. The Limitless should have your attention for a good while :love:

You are correct (1v per cell on 5000mAh) is very normal. On 6000mAh I had seen 0.8v per cell and 10,00 mAh was closer to 0.5v.

A few more volts at 300+ amps will net some additional speed.

115mph is still great either way...
Are you still on the same gearing from the 1950kv motor? (On the new 2900kv)

Aerodynamics provide the biggest penalties. Modifying airflow on the car will yield improvements for little to no cost if you are creative. But I understand the perspective. The Limitless should have your attention for a good while :love:
The 1950kv I believe was running 34/34 gearing. With the 2900kv I dropped down the gearing to 27/38. I'm thinking about bumping up to 30/38. And I have been trying to figure out something to help aero but haven't come up with anything yet.

The 1950kv I believe was running 34/34 gearing. With the 2900kv I dropped down the gearing to 27/38. I'm thinking about bumping up to 30/38. And I have been trying to figure out something to help aero but haven't come up with anything yet.
Sounds like a good plan. I'd go 29 or 30 as the next attempt also.
The front aero is the biggest thing. Any way you can smoothly divert the air over/around the wheels and suspension.

Installing a GT body is one of the best methods. If you get to that point Delta Plastics is the goto source. They have special speed run series bodies (thicker plastic). Mounting and trimming the body takes some significant work, but can be done.

Otherwise you are making some sheetmetal device or fiberglass work. (I like fiberglass myself)

Went to change out my pinion tonight and found out I had a 25t in, not a 27t like I thought. Forgot I went a little conservative on the gearing for initial setup of the new motor. ?‍♂️So I will try a 28t before going to the 30t.
That sounds more in-line with my expectations for that high kv motor.
My estimation is that with a 28t you will crack 120mph. Somewhere in the 119-126mph range. Anxious to see your results to confirm how accurate my calculations are :ROFLMAO:

That sounds more in-line with my expectations for that high kv motor.
My estimation is that with a 28t you will crack 120mph. Somewhere in the 119-126mph range. Anxious to see your results to confirm how accurate my calculations are :ROFLMAO:
I'm anxious too but I'm on vacation this week. Wont be able to do another run till about saturday or sunday. And I am a little upset I didnt put a cap pack on right away. I'm pretty sure that's what cause my first esc to burn up. I know its early but I like the difference the killmode cap pack is making in reducing ripple voltage. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back