Mobile Tool Organization

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Husky Connect system:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-22-in-Connect-Rolling-System-Tool-Box-230381/207138757

Not as beefy as the heavy duty modular tool box systems (Milwaukee Packout, etc), but good enough for lugging around RC stuff. And the price is much easier on the wallet. I use it for both racing and bashing (race buggy actually fits inside, which is nice). The add-on drawers and/or cantilever parts organizers are nice as well, but the base 3-piece system is a pretty good starting point.

I've only just started buying some Milwaukee packout and have been impressed with them. However, I still don't have the ability to make them all that mobile easily since I don't have the wheeled base box because I don't have any use for a big empty box on wheels.

ToughBuilt Stacktech looks very promising and they plan on coming out with a wheel drawer base later this summer. If that happens I'll probably be dropping my packout and switching over to them.

I've only just started buying some Milwaukee packout and have been impressed with them. However, I still don't have the ability to make them all that mobile easily since I don't have the wheeled base box because I don't have any use for a big empty box on wheels.

ToughBuilt Stacktech looks very promising and they plan on coming out with a wheel drawer base later this summer. If that happens I'll probably be dropping my packout and switching over to them.
I thought Milwaukee made a two wheel dolly type base..? Just the big box with wheels eh?

I thought Milwaukee made a two wheel dolly type base..? Just the big box with wheels eh?
Yes, Milwaukee also has a dolly type base as well, but I have yet to find a single person who speaks positively about it. Reviews I've seen is its poorly built and not worth the money. It's also much wider than most dolly/ hand trucks which can be an issue in some cases.

I currently have a couple of the packout drawer boxes and several organizers, both full and half sizes. I really do like them but looking for a wheeled base system with either a drawer or may make my own using a dolly from Harbor Freight and making my own packout base for it.

That is, unless the ToughBuilt base comes out this summer like they say it will.
StackTech_Catalog_Thumbnails_V2SU23_RollingDrawerBox.jpg

Then I'll sell all the packout stuff and go full ToughBuilt. The boxes that are currently out are very nice, and they have a massive selection incoming, supposedly very soon.

A drawer base makes far more sense and usability, at least for me, than a big empty box like Packout offers.

1709668363742.png

If you're not looking to haul the kitchen sink around, a tool roll works good and is compact.

Otherwise if you need more room, the pack-out boxes being mentioned are a good option.

Yes, Milwaukee also has a dolly type base as well, but I have yet to find a single person who speaks positively about it. Reviews I've seen is its poorly built and not worth the money. It's also much wider than most dolly/ hand trucks which can be an issue in some cases.

I currently have a couple of the packout drawer boxes and several organizers, both full and half sizes. I really do like them but looking for a wheeled base system with either a drawer or may make my own using a dolly from Harbor Freight and making my own packout base for it.

That is, unless the ToughBuilt base comes out this summer like they say it will.
StackTech_Catalog_Thumbnails_V2SU23_RollingDrawerBox.jpg

Then I'll sell all the packout stuff and go full ToughBuilt. The boxes that are currently out are very nice, and they have a massive selection incoming, supposedly very soon.

A drawer base makes far more sense and usability, at least for me, than a big empty box like Packout offers.

View attachment 352672

It seems like all of the stackable tool systems the bottom is just a big tub on wheels. I agree that they all need to make a multiple drawer bottom.

I found this at Harbor Freight... granted its small, but fits all the tools and common spare parts I would normally take with me on an outing. Open the lid and fill it with every spare metric hardware I have.

View attachment 352675
Cheap $20 tool box

Plano makes a few different sizes of these, you can still find them every now and then online. https://www.planooutdoors.com/guide-series-stowaway-rack-system-1598471

This one uses standard 3500 series storage boxes. https://www.planooutdoors.com/4by-rack-system-3500-1592428

Most tackle boxes work great fwiw.

Last edited:
Plano makes a few different sizes of these, you can still find them every now and then online. https://www.planooutdoors.com/guide-series-stowaway-rack-system-1598471
I kept my eyes open for an organizer like this for a while....always more money than I wanted to pay. I've found that the actual amount of tools to do a quick repair is minimal, couple of hex drivers, sockets, pliers, impact driver, etc.... deciding which spare parts not to bring is the downside of a small tool box.

Anyway, where I was going with this is, I've solved the problem of not bringing the right spare part....just buy/bring more RC's with you....break one and grab a backup, or 2 , or 3 etc.....

Back