Mojave 6s 2v Battery options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPiens

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
After getting out of the Rc car stuff years ago I recently decided I missed it. I picked up an used Mojave s6 and absolutely love it. I realized the batteries have changed tremendously since I was away. I was running 2 3s batteries and had no problem. recently I was given a couple 6s batteries and thought I would try them. I bought a 2 female to 1 male y plug off from Amazon so I could run just 1 of the 6s batteries. I plugged the 2 wires from the car side in first. When I plugged the battery into the plug it made a very bright flash and turned the inside of the battery plug black. Afterwards I removed the y plug and plugged in the 2 3s batteries, the car works just fine. Am I doing something wrong? When I received the battery was in storage mode and had been sitting a long time. I gave it a full charge. It seemed fine.

After getting out of the Rc car stuff years ago I recently decided I missed it. I picked up an used Mojave s6 and absolutely love it. I realized the batteries have changed tremendously since I was away. I was running 2 3s batteries and had no problem. recently I was given a couple 6s batteries and thought I would try them. I bought a 2 female to 1 male y plug off from Amazon so I could run just 1 of the 6s batteries. I plugged the 2 wires from the car side in first. When I plugged the battery into the plug it made a very bright flash and turned the inside of the battery plug black. Afterwards I removed the y plug and plugged in the 2 3s batteries, the car works just fine. Am I doing something wrong? When I received the battery was in storage mode and had been sitting a long time. I gave it a full charge. It seemed fine.
Without seeing the adapter I'd say the First thing I would do is lose that. All you need is this loop adapter on one plug. https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/loop-connector-ic5/ARA390292.html

1678260241425.png

Now the 6s batteries are pretty high voltage and pack a lot of power. It's pretty normal for them to make a spark noise when plugging in but I also don't want to rule out that your adapter may be shorting out the battery.

Make sure you read up on lipo safety in this forum. Lipos can be dangerous if not handled properly. Even more so if you were given them and not sure how they were treated before.

“Given” used 22V Lipo packs capable of 400+ amps of output is risky unless from a reputable source.

One thing you don’t want to cheap out on is your power source, they will turn your $500+ rig to ashes quickly.

Yes, that little loop connector is all you need, and probably the only thing you should use. Welcome back to the hobby, and welcome to the forum!

Without seeing the adapter I'd say the First thing I would do is lose that. All you need is this loop adapter on one plug. https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product/loop-connector-ic5/ARA390292.html

View attachment 283853

Now the 6s batteries are pretty high voltage and pack a lot of power. It's pretty normal for them to make a spark noise when plugging in but I also don't want to rule out that your adapter may be shorting out the battery.

Make sure you read up on lipo safety in this forum. Lipos can be dangerous if not handled properly. Even more so if you were given them and not sure how they were treated before.
Thanks to everybody for all the good information. I have returned the Y plug and ordered the loop plug like you show here. When I went to my local hobbies store to see what I needed they told me the Y plug. They did not stop the EC5 so I ordered it online.. I don't think I will be going to that hobby store again.

View attachment 283853

View attachment 283853

Thanks to everyone for the good information. I have returned the Y plug and ordered the loop plug has shown. I had went to my local hobby store to inquire what I needed. I was told the Y plug but they did not stock a ec5 so I ordered it online. I don't know that I'll go to that hobby store again. That thing arced so bright I saw blue lights in my eyes for several hours afterwards. It was so intense it melted the male end of the plug. I got the batteries from an acquaintance who bought him for his helicopter. He crashed the helicopter before he ever used them. The had been sitting in storage mode for the last 9 months. I have watched YouTube videos on proper use of the batteries. I never had any problems with the S3. I guess these S6 are a different animal. I will definitely be more careful.

20230308_103418.jpg

20230308_103427.jpg

I bought a 2 female to 1 male y plug off from Amazon so I could run just 1 of the 6s batteries. I plugged the 2 wires from the car side in first. When I plugged the battery into the plug it made a very bright flash and turned the inside of the battery plug black. Afterwards I removed the y plug and plugged in the 2 3s batteries, the car works just fine.
This reminds me, I need to order a few more fire extinguishers. 😄

Thanks to everybody for all the good information. I have returned the Y plug and ordered the loop plug like you show here. When I went to my local hobbies store to see what I needed they told me the Y plug. They did not stop the EC5 so I ordered it online.. I don't think I will be going to that hobby store again.

Thanks to everyone for the good information. I have returned the Y plug and ordered the loop plug has shown. I had went to my local hobby store to inquire what I needed. I was told the Y plug but they did not stock a ec5 so I ordered it online. I don't know that I'll go to that hobby store again. That thing arced so bright I saw blue lights in my eyes for several hours afterwards. It was so intense it melted the male end of the plug. I got the batteries from an acquaintance who bought him for his helicopter. He crashed the helicopter before he ever used them. The had been sitting in storage mode for the last 9 months. I have watched YouTube videos on proper use of the batteries. I never had any problems with the S3. I guess these S6 are a different animal. I will definitely be more careful.

View attachment 284000

View attachment 284001
yeah, you dead shorted your battery with that thing. You are lucky you got it apart before it welded itself together, started melting and set your car on fire.

I want to re-iterate that this was a REALLY close call... you dodged a bullet here. Take a minute and read up on parallel vs series connections and how they work...

Last edited:
yeah, you dead shorted your battery with that thing. You are lucky you got it apart before it welded itself together, started melting and set your car on fire.

I want to re-iterate that this was a REALLY close call... you dodged a bullet here. Take a minute and read up on parallel vs series connections and how they work...
It seems I did Dodge a bullet here for which I am very thankful. When I got my 1st set of batteries and it came with a fire proof pouch I knew something was up. I have watched a lot of tutorials on how to balance charge them and store them. I can't believe the owner of the hobby shop did not know any better. The last R c's that I had were a clodbuster in a tamiya monster beetle when my kids were young. Now that my brother's and I have gotten into our sixties we've come back to it. we have a lot of learning to do but boy is it fun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back