Mojave Mojave 6S Chronicle Down Under

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you getting on with your mojave?

I'm not far from you and looking at getting one soon. Will be running it around some coastal areas aswell... Looking like a radio upgrade is a must? And mudguard/chassis cover along with a fan cooling setup for the motor?

How are you getting on with your mojave?

I'm not far from you and looking at getting one soon. Will be running it around some coastal areas aswell... Looking like a radio upgrade is a must? And mudguard/chassis cover along with a fan cooling setup for the motor?

Nearly done.... enjoying the process.... love how this thing is built. I’ve been slack with the pics and updates so I’ll pick up my game.

The radio upgrade for me was solely based on reading this forum and listening to the main players on YouTube, so I pulled the trigger on a Flysky Noble NB4. The T-Bone mud guards are getting mixed reviews and so do the Dusty Motors shrouds, so I’m going to use both. I expect motor temps will go up and that’s why a heat sink and fans are going on... also might vent the body if necessary.

For the rust.... I think I’ll just coat the truck in Silicon spray before going anywhere near the beach. I have a spare set of stock fixings and I’m cleaning the originals as I go through it.

Don’t let my minor rust/salt issue put you off - definitely grab one.

Update. Before stripping the truck down, I decided to make my own work stand because everything online was either rubbish or too expensive with shipping. This cost me $7 for the lazy susan hardware and some scrap wood from the shed.
EA98C10D-64A5-4BE2-B787-07EB3CFDEFEE.jpeg

3640A87B-9220-4BED-8D4C-D8CC6A5CA6BE.jpeg

6E6A1C96-3FB3-439D-B90D-78AD098A2D7E.jpeg

Nearly done.... enjoying the process.... love how this thing is built. I’ve been slack with the pics and updates so I’ll pick up my game.

The radio upgrade for me was solely based on reading this forum and listening to the main players on YouTube, so I pulled the trigger on a Flysky Noble NB4. The T-Bone mud guards are getting mixed reviews and so do the Dusty Motors shrouds, so I’m going to use both. I expect motor temps will go up and that’s why a heat sink and fans are going on... also might vent the body if necessary.

For the rust.... I think I’ll just coat the truck in Silicon spray before going anywhere near the beach. I have a spare set of stock fixings and I’m cleaning the originals as I go through it.

Don’t let my minor rust/salt issue put you off - definitely grab one.

No worries.

Was looking at a UDR for a while but the mojave just seems like a stronger and more reliable unit, I don't want to have to be fixing it all the time.

Any thoughts on this radio?

https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/FlySky...ExmigidxhCTZJvB1jyacGMp9bUCPmbkxoCCnwQAvD_BwE

What heat sink/fan kit are you going with?

Yeah Racing heat sink and twin fans - hopefully they’ll do the job.
E22F83D1-CAF2-4DCC-85DE-D87BD1A35033.jpeg

Leaving the stock 16T pinion for now... not real interested in high speed runs yet, I was actually thinking of putting a 15T or 14T on to make it wheelie heaps because that makes me laugh ? but I’ll try with the stock pinion first and maybe play with the punch settings and tyres.
No worries.

Was looking at a UDR for a while but the mojave just seems like a stronger and more reliable unit, I don't want to have to be fixing it all the time.

Any thoughts on this radio?

https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/FlySky...ExmigidxhCTZJvB1jyacGMp9bUCPmbkxoCCnwQAvD_BwE

What heat sink/fan kit are you going with?

I’m no expert when it comes to radios.... perhaps someone else can chime in on the Flysky GT5.

I got the Yeah Racing kit from Amped RC in Brisbane.
241D4EFC-8534-466A-909B-C88E43D1A4B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah Racing heat sink and twin fans - hopefully they’ll do the job.
View attachment 67136
Leaving the stock 16T pinion for now... not real interested in high speed runs yet, I was actually thinking of putting a 15T or 14T on to make it wheelie heaps because that makes me laugh ? but I’ll try with the stock pinion first and maybe play with the punch settings and tyres.

I’m no expert when it comes to radios.... perhaps someone else can chime in on the Flysky GT5.

I got the Yeah Racing kit from Amped RC in Brisbane.
View attachment 67140
Those plastic fans probably won’t survive long so plan on some aluminum framed fans when they need replaced. Otherwise your setup sounds solid ??

Those plastic fans probably won’t survive long so plan on some aluminum framed fans when they need replaced. Otherwise your setup sounds solid ??

Thanks jondilly1974, maybe I should not use those spacers under the fans and screw them directly into the heat sink to give them a chance to survive. I haven’t seen any aluminium framed fans... do you recommend any?

Thanks jondilly1974, maybe I should not use those spacers under the fans and screw them directly into the heat sink to give them a chance to survive. I haven’t seen any aluminium framed fans... do you recommend any?
You should use the spacers. ?? Yeah Racing makes some aluminum framed fans. I wouldn’t buy them immediately but just watch those plastic fans as they aren’t long for this world in a basher. You don’t want to think they are cooling your motor only to find out they bit the dust along with your motor. Just keep an ear out and check temps from time to time.

http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/y...nium-case-high-speed-cooling-30mm-p-3977.html

Crazy Hobbies have a discount going through ebay today so i just hit the buy now button :)

Would it be a good idea to regrease all the diff's, new diff fluid/or check and fit sealed bearings while its still all nice and new/clean?

Crazy Hobbies have a discount going through ebay today so i just hit the buy now button :)

Would it be a good idea to regrease all the diff's, new diff fluid/or check and fit sealed bearings while its still all nice and new/clean?

I would give the truck a run or two and have some fun and see how it handles and accelerates with the stock diff fluids. Then when you know which weight fluids you want to use, pull it apart and do the bearings and fluids. The stock bearings only have steel shields and after one run, some of mine felt like they had crap inside them, but they're fine for a few cleanish runs.

Yeah you need a baseline to know where stock is. Then feel free to customize until your heart’s content

Started on the front end today:
IMG_6781.jpg

...to clean up this rusty mess:
IMG_6786.jpg

This is the inboard hub bearing after one run on grass - feels like it has crud in it. I reckon upgrading to rubber sealed bearings should be right near the top of the list.
IMG_6788.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back