Mojave New Mojave 6s. Opinions please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlepprock250

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
Hey gang, I just scored a all but mint condition Mojave 6s from Facebook Marketplace. I'm just starting to go through it ( shimming diffs, checking screws etc.). It's currently all stock, Spektrum electronics. But.. I have a Talion 6s EXB running an MMX 1717-1650kv combo. Been running it on 6s, not 8s. Anyone have any thoughts on how the Mojave 6s would behave with the MMX 8s 1717 1650kv combo? If this is a good match for the Mojave.. Pinion recommendations? This is my first Mojave, always been my favorite RC as far as appearance ( so bada$$). Still researching my diff oils, I haven't ran it on the stock electronics yet, just picked it up and going through it before I hit it. Any other tips and thoughts you guys have will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Let me also mention, I only plan on bashing around. No jumps, I'll be running the Mojave with a Radiolink rc6gs so I'll have some tuning options. I'm not really looking for more speed than stock necessarily, more focused on torque, control and most of all reliability.

Last edited:
Let me also mention that I only plan to bash around. No jumps, no speed runs. Mainly focused on reliability. My thinking is running an MMX 1717-1650kv 8s, on 6s it should handle the bashing with less heat.. No? Just not sure what pinion would be a good balance of speed and heat control. Thanks

What he said. 👆 I’m running that combo in my Mojo, and it’s great. I can run a 19t pinion in reasonably thick grass on 6s with dual motor fans. I’ve done some street runs with a 21t and it’s faster than any SCT has a right to be.
The 1650kv Castle setup should give similar results theoretically, but I’ve never run that combo in my Mojave.

We run our 2 Mojaves on the nearby beach and dirt roads mostly.
I found that the HW4985 does best with a 23 pinion. Lots of power and most of all running cool with two 40x40x10 rocket fans. Since that 1717 is similar in performance it might be fine for you too. 6S and 23 pinion will give you about 100 km/h. Which totally isn't usefull in the the terrain we run in. 4S does about 70Km/h. We like 4S better.
And the other tips you asked for.
Is it a BLX or EXB?
If BLX, upgrade the Ackerman bar. The BLX one is thin. I already bent 2. No problems with the thicker EXB one yet.
That 1717 is heavy. I took the next stiffer springs front and rear and put 70 WT in all of the shocks. The suspension is still plush.
I replaced all plastic drive train components with metal (at least do the center diff l) and upped all diff fluids x5. 50k/500k/50k f/m/r.
If BLX you definitely need to replace the plastic front and rear chassis braces with metal.
I got them from GPM. They use the notch that catches the hole in the chassis.
I also drilled out the threads in the braces to put a longer screw and lock nut. It prevents having to scrap the brace when the screw breaks.
Many people complain about wheels getting lose. I found that cranking the wheel nuts to 8NM prevents that without problems ( yes i use a torque wrench for it).

Last edited:
I found that the HW4985 does best with a 23 pinion. Lots of power and most of all running cool with two 40x40x10 rocket fans. Since that 1717 is similar in performance it might be fine for you too. 6S and 23 pinion will give you about 100 km/h. Which totally isn't usefull in the the terrain we run in. 4S does about 70Km/h. We like 4S
Interesting. No cogging with 4s and a 23T? Any specific reason for 4s with 23T instead of 6s with a smaller pinion, because normally for less amp draw (less heat and less strain on esc and lipo) it’s the other way around: volt up and gear down.

True. Tried it. Doesn't work. I am too much of a moron to have such level of throttle control. I inevitably crash it. And crashing it at 100 km/h means $$$ carnage. 4S it is. We even use 3S some times when space is limited.
No cogging. I think these motors can handle even bigger gearing. But the motor mount slider is at its limit and i think the motor will run hotter. I like it like this.
I volt up and down without pinion changes. I do it to match the speed to the space i run in.
Running 6S with two 3S batteries at 8000mah makes the car heavy. One 4S 8000 mah is much lighter, runs better and i notice no difference in runtime.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back