Big Rock Motor Pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No don’t change motor timing unless you wanna burn up a motor.
Can you explain?
I have a firma 130 on the way, didn't even know it has options like that
Fellas... @jondilly1974 you may not run the 3S anymore... @Outcastblxnut @crimsonfancy

With all the runs done above posted with the Big Rock, etc.....did any of you have an ESC where you could change the timing....for the Granite/Big rock 17T or 18T etc....did any of you change the motor timing down to counter the heat?

I'm not 100% what deg of timing would be right but I read so much that stock motors have higher timing numbers so more heat...

I run the Firma 130A on the Big Rock it has a motor time default at 15deg with lower options of 11.25 and 7.50. I have a 17T pinion that I want to install. Been running Rocket aluminum fans on motor & ESC so during the summer I've had NO thermal cuts-offs...
What rocket fan do you run on the firma 130? 30 or 40mm?

@jondilly1974 is correct. (y)
I would even drop the timing all the way down at first. Default is too high IMHO. I do that with any ESC that has electrical Timing advance. Then I will work my way up in ESC Timing, with a temp gun in hand checking motor Temps. Any gear changes also require the same procedure. Starting with lowest timing. Been there. Burned up many motors long years past. Now just an RC rule of mine. :cool:

^^^^ Thanks for the replies men...

Can you explain?
I have a firma 130 on the way, didn't even know it has options like that

What rocket fan do you run on the firma 130? 30 or 40mm?

It is a 30mm fan the 40 would be nice but too big...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8VVYVP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

These little fans do a good job or moving air...I have seen them under other names and not just Rocket... I think WTF fans do good also never tired but would be my next choice...
No don’t change motor timing unless you wanna burn up a motor.

Thx for the reply as always....you have more years in this than I do....have not read as of yet outside of clogging that going down in timing is a bad thing when it comes to heat & motor life (power that seems to take time & testing to find the sweet spot). So far I have seen most of my Arrma motors at the top of the timing at 22.5 with just one higher option left go.

Again....I am a novice but thinking about Arrma and marketing and power bashers this works for them for power rigs and speed and selling parts but in the end, does it work out as the best setting for the user and right balance.... Would most care...no. Since I am IT Engineer for 30+ yrs these things make my mind wander...how things work or should work. LOL

I don't know brother all I know is major corp infrastructures....as you know I respect your wisdom also little lost on how it would burn it up if done correctly 🤣

Last edited:
^^^^ Thanks for the replies men...

It is a 30mm fan the 40 would be nice but too big...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8VVYVP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

These little fans do a good job or moving air...I have seen them under other names and not just Rocket... I think WTF fans do good also never tired but would be my next choice...

Thx for the reply as always....you have more years in this than I do....have not read as of yet outside of clogging that going down in timing is a bad thing when it comes to heat & motor life (power that seems to take time & testing to find the sweet spot). So far I have seen most of my Arrma motors at the top of the timing at 22.5 with just one higher option left go.

Again....I am a novice but thinking about Arrma and marketing and power bashers this works for them for power rigs and speed and selling parts but in the end, does it work out as the best setting for the user and right balance.... Would most care...no. Since I am IT Engineer for 30+ yrs these things make my mind wander...how things work or should work. LOL

I don't know brother all I know is major corp infrastructures....as you know I respect your wisdom also little lost on how it would burn it up if done correctly 🤣
I would think there are very few cases where advanced timing does any good for an RC other than lead to quick death of a motor. Some motors can take more advanced timing better than others, but the performance difference is very minimal and you do still risk overheating them. In the speed run game, when you’re hunting for that one last mph out of your car doing 190mph, just to get the world record, maybe it’s something to consider. Otherwise, there are hundreds of ways to improve performance that don’t risk burning up parts.

So, what does this timing do?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back