Motor replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stock Senton 3s BLX with the standard 20t pinion should top at around 55 mph. @Rich Duperbash is running Granite wheels so that would bump the stock setup to 66 mph. Going with a 3050kv motor and Granite wheels would put it at 63 mph. To get that setup down to 55 mph you would need a 17t (53 mph) or 18t (56 mph) pinion.

For the stock Granite/BRCC, the max speed is around 49 mph. Going 3050kv will lower it to 47 mph. Go with a 16t pinion to gain back the 2 mph.
You can calculate the speeds, but testing with GPS and a temp gun is how I usually roll. Just so many other variables. My Senton takes off like a plane if I attempt full speed. Running bodyless is a different story.

You can calculate the speeds, but testing with GPS and a temp gun is how I usually roll. Just so many other variables. My Senton takes off like a plane if I attempt full speed. Running bodyless is a different story.

Oh, no doubt. I was just trying to give a comparison between the different motor, pinion and tire options. The one time I tried to get my Senton 3s to top speed, the front lifted up and the whole rig became airborne. It flipped 3 times and hit a tree. The Dynamite GPS I had taped to the roof (bad move) went flying. It took me 2 days to find it and the battery was dead. I never got to see what my take off speed was!?

Oh, no doubt. I was just trying to give a comparison between the different motor, pinion and tire options. The one time I tried to get my Senton 3s to top speed, the front lifted up and the whole rig became airborne. It flipped 3 times and hit a tree. The Dynamite GPS I had taped to the roof (bad move) went flying. It took me 2 days to find it and the battery was dead. I never got to see what my take off speed was!?
That sucks ☹️ Brother. I've done the same thing before. Blow overs can happen so suddenly you're left just watching the cartwheels????

I have always been good with math. I can calculate the square root of any number in my head, no matter how large or small. I can calculate pi to 230 decimal places. I can..........

Yeah,^^^^that! :ROFLMAO:

But the regular Max10 is 60 amp esc. I think it’s going to have the same issues as the BLX100.
Well, the max10 (non sct) is actually worse than the blx100. Significantly worse. I think it just couldn't handle to draw, and it lost acceleration and top end. I didn't even bother a 3rd pass in fear of burning it up. Oh well, I tried.

Well, the max10 (non sct) is actually worse than the blx100. Significantly worse. I think it just couldn't handle to draw, and it lost acceleration and top end. I didn't even bother a 3rd pass in fear of burning it up. Oh well, I tried.
So now I'm questioning my diagnosis. I put the 3652 back in and noticed the truck was still running ridiculously slow, and it seemed to have more get up and go in reverse. Now shortly before i threw the 3660 in, I burned up the steering servo while recklessly driving into a large puddle that backed up at the bottom of my driveway. Not a big deal though, I already had a new one at the ready. The next time I took the truck out was after the motor swap, and when I turned it on and hit the throttle, it took off in reverse when pulling the trigger. Again, not a big deal, I just took a quick look and saw the TX was set to reverse and assumed I bumped it. Long story short, the max10 ran backwards when I put it in and I had resolved it on the TX, but apparently it reset itself and/or went goofy. Water related? I can only guess. So, now I have to try it again, but the roads are snow covered and crappy. I'll post something back here once I get the chance to try it again, good or bad. I don't know if anyone even cares, but I at least want to leave good info here.

Edit/update - I got the esc all figured out, it was backwards via settings on the esc and corrected with the TX. It was doing some really odd stuff (2x ish faster in reverse) and still doesn't seem quite right, but with the corrections I made tonight it was definitely better than the test the other day. With the 3660 on the max10, it still clogged pretty bad, so I think first thoughts were right. She just doesn't have enough. I'll definitely be sticking with the stock blx100 setup.

Last edited:
Anybody run the 3670 3050kv in their granite? If so how does the drivetrain hold up? Anybody do it with the stock blx100?

I’ve ran the BLX120/2400kv combo on 4S and as long as your slipper isn’t too tight, run a steel spur, and don’t land under power you should be fine.

Anybody run the 3670 3050kv in their granite? If so how does the drivetrain hold up? Anybody do it with the stock blx100?
I've had one in mine for 6 months now on a max10 sct. I did blow out 1 front diff coming off a snow bank and landing under power. Other than that, no real issues. Make sure and keep your slipper shy of locked at the tightest. I run about 3/4 turn out and haven't had any u joint issues that others have. It seems like the 18t pinion is a sweet spot, getting a little hot after a few speed runs back to back. I'm happy with it overall.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back