Big Rock Motor sounds weird

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtsop

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Not super experienced with RC but I just installed a new motor mount and the motor doesn’t sound right. Was wondering if you guys had any input on fixing or if it’s just me

Thanks in advance

Since you wouldn't stop moving it in the vids let's see a nice clear pic of your mesh.

Also FWIW there's play in that setup until you get it pushed in AND the driveshaft installed.
My bad - I should’ve included some photos too.
C8C30F6F-9E18-447C-B5D0-F5FE6F4DC07B.jpeg
52A92954-D49A-4A30-A24F-032B3CA534D6.jpeg
C8C30F6F-9E18-447C-B5D0-F5FE6F4DC07B.jpeg
52A92954-D49A-4A30-A24F-032B3CA534D6.jpeg

I agree gear mesh is too loose. Get a piece of 24# copy paper and push them together. Should fix the issue.

The first thing to check is whether you have a motor bearing that is starting to seize up. With the spur disconnected, does the rotor/pinion in both cars spins just as easily? Next, you can't reliably set gear mesh on the 3s trucks with the power module cover off. You'll have to check with the cover installed. Then your gear mesh should be as close as possible while allowing you to hear slight clicks as you lightly rock the spur back and forth and at various locations around the spur.

If then mesh is set well, and your motor bearing and slipper house bearings are in good shape, then I wouldn't worry. Sometimes worn spur gears make different noises.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back