Grom My Typhon Grom and Granite Grom Builds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upgrayedd85

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
IMG_6476.png
IMG_6475.png

Grom #1
  • Castle Mamba Micro X2 ESC
  • KingVal 2440 4000KV Brushless Motor
  • NSDRC RS100 Servo @ 7.4V
  • NSDRC losi mini Servo Horn
  • Arrma Servo mount
  • Arrma Oil Filled Differentials
  • Hot Racing Universal CVD Axles (front and rear)
  • Flysky FS-r7p Receiver
Grom #2
  • Castle 0808-4100KV Brushless Motor
  • 18t Pinion from Robinson Racing
  • Arrma Motor Mount set
  • Hot Racing Servo Mount
  • Radiolink R7FG Receiver

Last edited:
Hey, nice Groms!
I just picked up a Grom for myself and I'm thoroughly impressed with the stock speed out of this thing, but with all things motorized, I want to make it faster!

I'm planning on picking up a Mamba Micro X2 and 0808-4100KV motor myself, per Castle's recommendation, but for now, I wanted to run the KingVal 2440 4000KV motor from Amazon with the included ESC. My question is, will the KingVal motor mount directly to the factory motor mount since it can retain the stock 16t 2.3mm pinion? Figured I'd ask someone with firsthand experience!

Hey, nice Groms!
I just picked up a Grom for myself and I'm thoroughly impressed with the stock speed out of this thing, but with all things motorized, I want to make it faster!

I'm planning on picking up a Mamba Micro X2 and 0808-4100KV motor myself, per Castle's recommendation, but for now, I wanted to run the KingVal 2440 4000KV motor from Amazon with the included ESC. My question is, will the KingVal motor mount directly to the factory motor mount since it can retain the stock 16t 2.3mm pinion? Figured I'd ask someone with firsthand experience!
I bought the kingval specifically because it has the same shaft diameter as the stock motor. The kingval works with the stock pinion and motor mount perfectly. However, it will not work with the stock ESC. The ESC included in the granite grom is for brushed motors, you will not be able to install a brushless motor with the stock ESC.
I would recommend the hobbywing 10BL60 ESC as an alternative to the castle.

some other shoe options for the grom

The bigger wheels are from the team associated 14MT. They are larger and foam filled. They work great for bashing.
The road wheels I got from the LH and I can't find anything about them.

IMG_6489.png

IMG_6491.png

IMG_6492.png

IMG_6493.png

Nice builds, nice shoes , nice pics :p
I like the way you stick your receivers, will try it !
what do you use? standard double face or foamy one?
++
Thank you! After much trial and error, this is the best place to mount the receiver in my opinion, because it doesn't block the top deck screws.
scotch extreme mounting tape
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Mount-Double-Extreme-Mounting-Adhesive/dp/B00FUEN2GK
I use this to mount everything because it's strong enough to keep stuff in place through bashing, but when it comes time to move things, it comes off clean without leaving any sticky residue.

View attachment 352666View attachment 352667
Grom #1
  • KingVal 2440 4000KV Brushless Motor
  • NSDRC RS100 Servo @ 7.4V
  • NSDRC losi mini Servo Horn
  • Arrma Servo mount
  • Arrma Oil Filled Differentials
  • Hot Racing Universal CVD Axles (front and rear)
  • Flysky FS-r7p Receiver
Grom #2
  • Castle 0808-4100KV Brushless Motor
  • 18t Pinion from Robinson Racing
  • Arrma Motor Mount set
  • Hot Racing Servo Mount
  • Radiolink R7FG Receiver
How are the granite groms compared to typhon, I thought about getting one yesterday and went to the store and we're sold out.

How are the granite groms compared to typhon, I thought about getting one yesterday and went to the store and we're sold out.
The granite is more likely to do wheelies, backflips, etc... the typhon is much more of a race car, it can corner much harder without flipping. It's much more controlled at speed and hits jumps nice and clean. I am having more fun with the typhon grom in general, my friend bought one too and we have been setting up cone races all over the place. The granite is hard to keep off it's roof, it loves to flip!

The granite is more likely to do wheelies, backflips, etc... the typhon is much more of a race car, it can corner much harder without flipping. It's much more controlled at speed and hits jumps nice and clean. I am having more fun with the typhon grom in general, my friend bought one too and we have been setting up cone races all over the place. The granite is hard to keep off it's roof, it loves to flip!
Thanks,probably get a granite to play around with.

Back