My mega keeps self destroying itself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brantner15

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Hey guys I'm all new to the electric rc world as I always ran nitro I bought myself a arrma mega I've recently upgraded to a 6s spectrum motor and esc.i put hot racing metal diffs hot racing axles all aluminum a arms and hubs metal diff case 3s slipper clutch and I'm currently running a 15.57 gearing problem is so far I snapped the front hot racing axle...no big deal I ran it in 2wd well other day I had it out at the job climbing coal piles and stripped the slipper clutch out were it slides onto the rear diff stub shaft my question is what am I doing wrong here is 6s just to much power seems that no matter how much u upgrade how much money u spend poop just tears up

Hey guys I'm all new to the electric rc world as I always ran nitro I bought myself a arrma mega I've recently upgraded to a 6s spectrum motor and esc.i put hot racing metal diffs hot racing axles all aluminum a arms and hubs metal diff case 3s slipper clutch and I'm currently running a 15.57 gearing problem is so far I snapped the front hot racing axle...no big deal I ran it in 2wd well other day I had it out at the job climbing coal piles and stripped the slipper clutch out were it slides onto the rear diff stub shaft my question is what am I doing wrong here is 6s just to much power seems that no matter how much u upgrade how much money u spend poop just tears up
Yeah, 6s is too much power unless you upgrade pretty much everything. You can get a metal spur gear.

6s is a bit much for the mega and 3s platforms. They arent very reliable when they are heavy, but when built well and plastic (like rpm) is used where ever possible they stay light and bash pretty much all day. How do you control a 6s granite anyway? unless its for speed running i guess. I tried my granite on 4s with the stock motor and gearing and it was a waste of time, tires and money, it was so fast it wasnt even enjoyable to drive.

I would imagine an well setup 3s configuration is the sweet spot for this rig. The key to these RCs and I would say any plastic RC car is keeping it light!!!!

Years ago I tried running 6s on the Slash 4x4 and it was a similar story. It broke every time I went out.
If I upgraded 1 part then the next part down the line broke instead.

I got tired of all the issues with plastic RC cars and bought a Kraton 6s. It was incredible and the durability was what I had always hoped for. Yes things still break but it was 100% better. After that down the Arrma rabbit hole I went....

If you didnt change the spur from the tiny teeth thats your issue. The Mego come with a different pitch then the 3s BLX models. I upgraded a TYPHON mega to 4s, and needed to do the same thing. You will need a .8 mod spur , probably better to just buy it attached to the slipper mechanism, since the slipper on the 3s is a better newer design. Then just change the pinion to a standard .8 mod pinion like comes on any of the arms 3s range

By the time you are done with the 4x4, you could have spent the price of a 6s rig.

32 pitch pinion will also work with .8 modulus FWIW.
The pressure angles line up between them. Mesh.
The power of 6s+ needs mod 1 gears.

Last edited:
You need the all metal driveline, metal chassis, metal chassis upgrade kit sold under the "Outcast EXB" name -
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...reme-bash-stunt-truck-rtr-black/ARA8710.html?
Or Notorious 6s RTR -
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...-truck-with-spektrum-firma-rtr/ARA8611V5.html

Because lets face it, if you get it reliable on 6s, you WILL want 8s, right? MOAR POWAAA!!!

But seriously, enjoy the Granite for what it was designed to be, a light weight, powerful 3s MT. If you want more power than the truck can use, and still keep it light and nimble, swap the motor for a 3800kv 3660 and run it on 3s - it will do standing backflips and still have more top speed than you can find without belted tires.

I went down that road myself. I stopped at 4s on a 6s system (BLX185 motor and ESC). Truck could not use the power, so why had more? plus it was breaking, and was too heavy - handling was crap. Adding more weight (6s) and more power would only make both issues worse, so I swapped back to my current system (3660 size 3800kv with a castle MX) and have been loving it. Still more power than the truck can use, but it is right around stock weight, so it drives great.

I have been wanting to try this system in my Granite -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...sored-motor-cse010-0160-01/p-qqazqseqyzzxactz
Longer can would have big torque, and if you ran a 20t pinion should give similar speeds to stock BLX motor on a 15t. Bump it to a 23t pinion and you would have a top speed similar to mine (Unknown, the truck can't go that fast LOL) with more low end torque and less heat. All on a light 3s system.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back