My next (and final?) 1/16th scale Brushless. HBX 16889 truck. Fastest one. New ESC, motor, and radio!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume this is a function and should be possible.
You can also drive the engine at full throttle :)
Every Esc and engine can do this.
On the better ESCs you can also set this to scale.

Quick question - kinda new to this. I know you can brake by pushing forward on the throttle - but does that do any damage at all? Is it ok to slam on full brakes or does that stress the motor or ESC? Grateful for advice.
No it doesn't stress the motor or esc but it does stress your driveline ie diffs and driveshafts so be weary of that.

Got the XLF tires but not really happy with them.
The car is getting to high on this wheels that its falling over all the time.
Maybe on loose sand they are better but on the street ist a no go.
Makes the car very unstable and its on his back all the time.

With luck the remo p6973 arrived yesterday.
They are a little smaller then the original and makes the car very stable on street and sand.
More grippy which makes it easy to wheelie.
Today installed 2435 4500KV on the hobbywing Esc.
While I'm driving and testing I realize that it rides really nice now with a 2S lipo.
I think the upgraded shock absorbers also contribute to that.
It is improbably stable for such a plastic car now.
More speed through the 2435 4500KV which is a bit undone by the slightly
smaller wheels and makes wheelies like crazy.
Power position 5 on the Esc (can go up to 9).
If I go higher than 5 he starts doing somersaults from a standstill.
He does now tear the plastic cups where the dogbones of your rear wheel
are on the differential.
Metals are on their way :)
I wonder whats broken nexts in the drivetrain;)
Everything will have to be metal due to the power increase.
Anyway we're going to see it.

I still plan to move the servo to the other side for more lipo space.
And I saw in another hbx video that this servo link can be use for adjustable turn buckles
which benefits the steering so I'm going to put that on there as well.
What goes off can be used as a spare if I drive a part broken.

Last edited:

They are a little smaller then the original and makes the car very stable on street and sand.
While I'm driving and testing I realize that it rides really nice now with a 2S lipo.
are on the differential.

And I saw in another hbx video that this servo link can be use for adjustable turn buckles
How do you change the power position on the ESC?

How do you change the power position on the ESC?
Hobbywing QuicRun WP 16BL30, 30A, 1/16 & 1/18 ESC Sensorless
I have another Esc and it has these functions. Standard Esc with buildin receiver does not have that.

As soon as I made these changes, you are obliged to finish the whole thing with metal.
Because it breaks the plastic drivetrain every time you come out ;)
But it runs very, very smooth and fast!

are on the differential.

At the risk of suggesting you try even more wheels I have another recomendation for you that I think is the perfect compromise between quality, size, wieight, performance, driveline stress etc. Its the LC Racing MT wheels. I took em off my LC Racing Truggy and was delighted by how well they work. Best of all, the offset suits the little HBXs so you don't lose any steering capability. Took the HBX to the park yesterday and with those wheels could easily do double backflips.

I love this little truck Very surprised on power and handling. Already have 3s battery coming , it's probably a little monster on 3s what ESC are you guys using and do you have to add a separate receiver or using a combo and has anyone found a good little motor. Oh and tires that's why I ended up here.
Get the pro for sure

Last edited:
Stock electronics are pretty solid. Would be pretty uncontrollable on 3s. It's a fun little rig but small scale RCs don't really do it for me so mine has had very little use.
I notice that with these little rc cars, even though they can run on 3s running them on 3s is sort of like running a 3s Arrma on 6s.

I've had a few of the smaller scale RCs, WLtoys 144001 as well as others and tbh the 144001 was a lot more fun to drive then the HBX just because it was a bit bigger and handled reasonably well. The 16889 is fast enough and wheelies but getting it to track straight under power is not easy.

I've decided from here on in I'm not going to buy anything smaller then a 1/10 scale in the future.

Fudge guys asking for info not your sob story's , on small bashers🤣 , I have a full Carbon Fiber Chassis Kraton ExB, with awesome motor 😎, I never expected this to be like that .... But I like to tinker and I think the car could benefit from just a little bit more juice and some softer grippier tires that was the question I asked if anyone has some info on it be greatly appreciated.

Fudge guys asking for info not your sob story's , on small bashers🤣 , I have a full Carbon Fiber Chassis Kraton ExB, with awesome motor 😎, I never expected this to be like that .... But I like to tinker and I think the car could benefit from just a little bit more juice and some softer grippier tires that was the question I asked if anyone has some info on it be greatly appreciated.
You could try the redcat volcano 16 tires??
https://www.teamredcatshop.com/store/p1772/redcat-volcano-16-wheels-tires.html
https://www.redcatracing.com/products/rer13657?variant=32565368291418

And what size bullets are the motor wires?

Banggood?

Anyone know if the 16889 body fits the 16890 straight up?
From what I see the 16890 has a truggie body with a 3 body post system. But the mounts for the body posts look the same. Are trying to put the 16890 body onto a 16889?

Here is the 16889 posts if you need those.

https://smile.amazon.com/GDOOL-M160...38535&sprefix=16889+body+posts,aps,234&sr=8-1

Here is the rear 16890 post if you need that.

https://smile.amazon.com/GDOOL-M160...38621&sprefix=16890+body+posts,aps,243&sr=8-2

From what I see the 16890 has a truggie body with a 3 body post system. But the mounts for the body posts look the same. Are trying to put the 16890 body onto a 16889?

Here is the 16889 posts if you need those.

https://smile.amazon.com/GDOOL-M16011-Posts-Accessories-Spare/dp/B094W8V1FR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=G4260C0F5IGP&keywords=16889+body+post&qid=1659038535&sprefix=16889+body+posts,aps,234&sr=8-1

Here is the rear 16890 post if you need that.

https://smile.amazon.com/GDOOL-M16062-Bumper-Truggy-Accessories/dp/B094W78YQ5/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3O5IRG174L1F3&keywords=16890+body+post&qid=1659038621&sprefix=16890+body+posts,aps,243&sr=8-2
He man i appreciate your help. I actually bought a FC600, didnt realize the 18690 had a 3 hole body. The FC600 has a 4 hole. Would the 16889 body fit the FC600 staright up is what I should have asked from the get go...sorry.

He man i appreciate your help. I actually bought a FC600, didnt realize the 18690 had a 3 hole body. The FC600 has a 4 hole. Would the 16889 body fit the FC600 staright up is what I should have asked from the get go...sorry.
Its really hard to tell just from looking at pics online since I don't have the FC600. But it looks like they have a similar chassis. You might have to adjust the posts and/ or ream new body holes. But Im sure you could make it work if its not a direct fit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back