My spektrum 1250kv is sounding rough

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattyCakes

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
I've got a kraton 6s exb and in running a 1250kv motor and 160amp combo. My motor is sounding rough and I'm thinking it could be a berring. Suggestions? Thinking about pulling it appart and looking but haven't found any real tutorials on how to do so. I don't want to see any real damage but I need to bash and send it ASAP.

If it still rotates smooth, 99% of the time the BB's are worn. Absolutley must disassemble the motor, every so often. Use electrical contact spray to clean all, including BB's when cleaning. Make a note of the small shims on the armature shaft, when reinstalling them. So important. But clean and and lube the BB's before they explode and brick the armature. Or then you need a $new$ motor. Go with your gut, noisey worn BB's is a sign. Buy a new set, maybe even Ceramics. What I do when replacing any of my motor BB's. A BLX motor can last for numerous years as long as you keep up on the BB's. If you let them explode, plan on buying a motor often. A motor will be like new again with fresh BB's. But clean and lube them regularly. Every 15 runs or so, Your mileage may vary.
Always buy Motor Specific Abec 5 or above rated High RPM BB's. Use a drop of Synthetic High temp Oil on them, even when new out the package. I use SuperLube and Liberty oils. Liberty (AMZ) is slightly thinner, less drag on the BB and Race. Depends on the motor I am running. Liberty oil actually tested better than many RC boutique oils out there at 5 times the price.
Jims, TRBRC and Avid make good motor specific BB's. Unlike the rest of the drivetrain, I feel Ceramic BB's are well worth it with BLX Motors. Handle High temps well.
Technically, these RC Ceramic motor BB's are considered Hybrid Ceramics. Because only the Balls are made of ceramic. 100% ceramic raced BB's are costly and not feasible or practical for RC use. Only Used in Commercial extreme applications. Some of these cost as much as $250. each. :rolleyes: Go to Boca Bearings and see for yourself.

>>$20.00 give or take is usually the going price for (2) Ceramic RC Motor BB's. Not tragic at all, considering the price of a new replacement motor. Larger motors, the larger BB's cost more obviously.

Last edited:
If it still rotates smooth, 99% of the time the BB's are worn. Absolutley must disassemble the motor, every so often. Use electrical contact spray to clean all, including BB's when cleaning. Make a note of the small shims on the armature shaft, when reinstalling them. So important. But clean and and lube the BB's before they explode and brick the armature. Or then you need a $new$ motor. Go with your gut, noisey worn BB's. Buy a new set, maybe even Ceramics. What I do when replacing any of my motor BB's. A BLX motor can last for numerous years as long as you keep up on the BB's. If you let them explode, plan on buying a motor often. A motor will be like new again with fresh BB's. But clean and lube them regularly. Every 15 runs or so, Your mileage may vary.
Always buy Motor Specific Abec 5 or above rated High RPM BB's. Use a drop of Synthetic High temp Oil on them, even when new out the package. I use SuperLube and Liberty oils. Liberty (AMZ) is slightly thinner, less drag on the BB and Race. Depends on the motor I am running. Liberty oil actually tested better than many RC boutique oils out there at 5 times the price.
Jims, TRBRC and Avid make good motor specific BB's. Unlike the rest of the drivetrain, I feel Ceramic BB's are well worth it with BLX Motors. Handle High temps well.
Technically, these RC Ceramic motor BB's are considered Hybrid Ceramics. Because only the Balls are made of ceramic. 100% ceramic raced BB's are costly and not feasible or practical for RC use. Only Used in Commercial extreme applications. Some of these cost as much as $250. each. :rolleyes: Go to Boca Bearings and see for yourself.

>>$20.00 give or take is usually the going price for (2) Ceramic RC Motor BB's. Not tragic at all, considering the price of a new replacement motor. Larger motors, the larger BB's cost more obviously.
Hey man thanks a lot I really appreciate it. That is a lot of good information. Yeah I tried going on Horizons website to see if I can't find disassemble process or schematic or parts list but they want you to send it in there and, a I'm a tinker and a hobbyist and I like doing my own poop and B they want you to pay if anything is wrong with it that's you know for whatever reason.., and I already put enough money into my hobby to not just learn to do it myself. So thank you for that great advice

YW.
You can do this. Just a slight learning curve. Motors are really simple, Just keep all very clean on a clean table, on a clean towel to not lose small screws and shims. Maybe take pix as you go for reference if you get stuck. And just don't lose the small armature shims! Make note of which go where as you open it up. Keep the armature away from any metal objects . The magnets are so strong. If it picks up even the smallest metal debris, this can ruin the whole motor if you install it with metal debris stuck to it.
Doing it a few times and it becomes so easy. Have the motor oil on hand. Don't flood the BB with it, just a drop or 2 at most is all you need. Absolutely use a drop even on the brand new BB's too.
Removing BB's has its own learning curve. When you get there reach out for help. You need to do it carefully at first. Then it becomes easier.
There is the "bread trick" and the "Freezer" trick to help with removing the old and installation of new BB's. Baby steps at first.
BLX Motors absolutely willl last for many years this way , like new as long as you never overheat it. Heat is what kills most motors. Magnets get weaker, as a result, and the armature disintegrates with high temps also. Control this and you are good. Motors can be very expensive in this Hobby. BB's are cheap enough to keep them going for long. :cool: Many YT videos in regards motor maintenance.
Ceramic Motor BB's all the way IMHO.(y)
Again all my stocker BB's get replaced with Ceramics now. I wouldn't have it any other way. I have not exploded one in the years, Have many old BLX motors here

Last edited:
I've got a kraton 6s exb and in running a 1250kv motor and 160amp combo. My motor is sounding rough and I'm thinking it could be a berring. Suggestions? Thinking about pulling it appart and looking but haven't found any real tutorials on how to do so. I don't want to see any real damage but I need to bash and send it ASAP
Running this on 6s??

I've got a kraton 6s exb and in running a 1250kv motor and 160amp combo. My motor is sounding rough and I'm thinking it could be a berring. Suggestions? Thinking about pulling it appart and looking but haven't found any real tutorials on how to do so. I don't want to see any real damage but I need to bash and send it ASAP.

You got some excellent advice here. 2020 @SrC coached me and showed me the same process. I feel like a champ now doing it. I check all my motors, new and used. You can do it....just watch out for the crushed washer that will fall out. The washers fall out if you do not remove them first once the cap is off. Or you open the cap and turn the motor around not aware, they fall out, and you are not aware of which order they go in....go slow!

The bread trick is the ONLY way I can get the bearing out in the plate. It works so perfectly

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back