Typhon My truggy build (parts list included)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devito1993

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
A week or two ago, I got clarification on a truggy build and got all of the needed parts. I wanted to outline my experiences, so people thinking about doing it know what to expect (prices and difficulty of work).

To start, this is the first and only used RC car I have bought. It looked basically new when I got it, and when I got it home, I realized the previous owner tried a few mods, but did them poorly by stripping screws, taking gaskets out, and so on. Because I needed parts, I figured I would try to make a best of both worlds type of thing between an outcast and a typhon.

Parts list:
AR310484 - ALUMINUM WHEEL HEX 17mm: $23.98 (2 packs)
AR330505 - COMPOSITE FRONT STEERING BLOCK: $10.02 (1 pack)
AR310590 - CVD AXLE: $21.19 (1 pack)
AR330404 - REAR HUB: $11.64 (1 pack)
AR310591 - WHEEL AXLE: $19.99 (1 pack)
AR310444 - DIFF GASKET: $4.99 (1 pack)
Pro-line Racing Badlands MX28 2.8 Mtd F-11 17mm PRO-MT 4x4: $76.72 (2 packs)
Mugen Super Silicone for Diff 300,000 cst: $19.03
Blue Threadlocker Loctite: $5.97

Total: 193.53

The first thing I wanted to tackle was the center diff because the previous owner changed the spur gear for some reason (same tooth count as stock) and it looked like the diff was leaking. I am not sure how much threadlocker is typically used because this was my first one, however, previous owner used A LOT so just anticipate using heat when you do this. When I finally got the diff out and the spur gear off, there was zero fluid as expected. Stock diff fluid is 100,000 cst, but it seems everyone uses a higher cst, so I went with a 300,000. The car was basically FWD and I hated it. I may have over compensated because there wasn't any fluid, but i like where it is now. I can wheelie if I try, but it stays planted from a roll, which is also nice (have only ran it on 4s so far).

After I finished up the diff, I put the Kraton axles and hubs on. This was the most frustrating part because almost all of the grub screws that hold the hex's in place were stripped (1 by me, 2 were stripped before I started). The best advise I could give out is use quality tools and do not rush it. These grub screws are the hardest out of all of the screws to get out (on mine at least). To make your life easier, clean all of the dirt and crud out of the hex before you start. it is really easy to not be seated into the screw all of the way and it will not help if there is additional dirt in the screw will not help. Also make sure you are careful with the hubs when putting the hub nuts in. It is easy to strip/cross thread the hubs because the hub nut is metal and the hub is plastic.

The last bit of advice I can give is be confident you can do it. I learned throughout massing around with the cars is that they are made to be able to fix them by yourself.
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 7.10.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 7.11.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 7.09.01 PM.png

Nice work. What's the consensus on a truggified typhon, vs something like a talion with different tires? It looks extremely cool, but then I'd also still want a normal typhon.

Nice work. What's the consensus on a truggified typhon, vs something like a talion with different tires? It looks extremely cool, but then I'd also still want a normal typhon.

Apparently, a Truggified Typhon is the most durable iteration of the 6S line (at least, I've seen several comments with that sentiment). Its more compact size and measurements, when compared to a Talion, helps it stay in one piece under hard bashing.

Apparently, a Truggified Typhon is the most durable iteration of the 6S line (at least, I've seen several comments with that sentiment). Its more compact size and measurements, when compared to a Talion, helps it stay in one piece under hard bashing.
They definitely seem to take a crazy beating from what I've seen on video. Even stock. Either way I want both. It's cool seeing these vehicles being hot rodded.

The best mod I did to my Typhon is widen it with Outcast/Kraton arms, hubs and hexes. It’s much more stable in the grass and it can handle taller grass much better which suits my bashing spots.

I went bashing with my cousin today. He has a stock Corally python (basically a typhon) and I enjoyed mine much more. He even was saying how much better mine felt. If you run your car on a maintained track, the buggy style is better. However, for just general bashing, this style is amazing.

Attachments

• C988E879-161D-4C9B-B695-2208952ED3DF.gif
    C988E879-161D-4C9B-B695-2208952ED3DF.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 111
I went bashing with my cousin today. He has a stock Corally python (basically a typhon) and I enjoyed mine much more. He even was saying how much better mine felt. If you run your car on a maintained track, the buggy style is better. However, for just general bashing, this style is amazing.
Where can I find some of those Wheels?

A week or two ago, I got clarification on a truggy build and got all of the needed parts. I wanted to outline my experiences, so people thinking about doing it know what to expect (prices and difficulty of work).

To start, this is the first and only used RC car I have bought. It looked basically new when I got it, and when I got it home, I realized the previous owner tried a few mods, but did them poorly by stripping screws, taking gaskets out, and so on. Because I needed parts, I figured I would try to make a best of both worlds type of thing between an outcast and a typhon.

Parts list:
AR310484 - ALUMINUM WHEEL HEX 17mm: $23.98 (2 packs)
AR330505 - COMPOSITE FRONT STEERING BLOCK: $10.02 (1 pack)
AR310590 - CVD AXLE: $21.19 (1 pack)
AR330404 - REAR HUB: $11.64 (1 pack)
AR310591 - WHEEL AXLE: $19.99 (1 pack)
AR310444 - DIFF GASKET: $4.99 (1 pack)
Pro-line Racing Badlands MX28 2.8 Mtd F-11 17mm PRO-MT 4x4: $76.72 (2 packs)
Mugen Super Silicone for Diff 300,000 cst: $19.03
Blue Threadlocker Loctite: $5.97

Total: 193.53

The first thing I wanted to tackle was the center diff because the previous owner changed the spur gear for some reason (same tooth count as stock) and it looked like the diff was leaking. I am not sure how much threadlocker is typically used because this was my first one, however, previous owner used A LOT so just anticipate using heat when you do this. When I finally got the diff out and the spur gear off, there was zero fluid as expected. Stock diff fluid is 100,000 cst, but it seems everyone uses a higher cst, so I went with a 300,000. The car was basically FWD and I hated it. I may have over compensated because there wasn't any fluid, but i like where it is now. I can wheelie if I try, but it stays planted from a roll, which is also nice (have only ran it on 4s so far).

After I finished up the diff, I put the Kraton axles and hubs on. This was the most frustrating part because almost all of the grub screws that hold the hex's in place were stripped (1 by me, 2 were stripped before I started). The best advise I could give out is use quality tools and do not rush it. These grub screws are the hardest out of all of the screws to get out (on mine at least). To make your life easier, clean all of the dirt and crud out of the hex before you start. it is really easy to not be seated into the screw all of the way and it will not help if there is additional dirt in the screw will not help. Also make sure you are careful with the hubs when putting the hub nuts in. It is easy to strip/cross thread the hubs because the hub nut is metal and the hub is plastic.

The last bit of advice I can give is be confident you can do it. I learned throughout massing around with the cars is that they are made to be able to fix them by yourself.View attachment 84523View attachment 84524View attachment 84525
What bearings did u use and whats that front bumper

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back