Vorteks Need help going faster on 3S!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Vorteks
There is a lot I already know about these trucks, and there is still plenty I don't know. I have the speed pinion in my truck and love it, but in the future, I may want to go faster. Is it possible to stay on 3S and upgrade the motor and pinion to achieve higher speeds? I'm not sure of the limitations of the motors that come stock and don't want to fry it or anything else by constantly increasing my pinion size. I'm also assuming that I would need upgraded diffs to handle the torque output for these higher speeds, yes?

Higher speed does not equate to increased torque. Increasing the size of the pinion gear for more speed actually reduces the torque. A higher tooth pinion on the stock motor will increase motor temperatures, and may also increase the ESC temps, neither of which are good if they get too high. You can go to a 4s or higher capable motor on your 3s system, but if you want to run at 4s you will need a new ESC. If you go the 4s route, you will most likely increase the torque and put strain on the diffs and other driveline components.

Higher speed does not equate to increased torque. Increasing the size of the pinion gear for more speed actually reduces the torque. A higher tooth pinion on the stock motor will increase motor temperatures, and may also increase the ESC temps, neither of which are good if they get too high. You can go to a 4s or higher capable motor on your 3s system, but if you want to run at 4s you will need a new ESC. If you go the 4s route, you will most likely increase the torque and put strain on the diffs and other driveline components.
Good to know. Thank you!
Is your plan to speed run and a little bit of street bashing here and there?
I do more street oriented stuff with my Vorteks. I also run on dirt. I bashed it the other night and broke a chassis brace screw that I just installed. I'm just trying to get as much power/speed as I can on a 3S setup. When I get into speed running, I'm going to buy an Infraction. My Vorteks is my parking lot/dirt basher and speed runner. Got my Big Rock for big air and rough terrain.

Make it 4s and you will get what you want and get the metal diffs and metal spur currently a little hard to find I think but they are worth it. Currently running 20t pinion 2250 kv motor, blx185 esc, the truck is a nut. 4s is awesome in these low weight trucks

Make it 4s and you will get what you want and get the metal diffs and metal spur currently a little hard to find I think but they are worth it. Currently running 20t pinion 2250 kv motor, blx185 esc, the truck is a nut. 4s is awesome in these low weight trucks
Only reason I wanted to stay on 3S is because I already have a decent collection of 3s batteries. And when I move on to 6s, all I have to do is buy dupes of what I currently have. Not sure I want to push this truck to 4s.

Only reason I wanted to stay on 3S is because I already have a decent collection of 3s batteries. And when I move on to 6s, all I have to do is buy dupes of what I currently have. Not sure I want to push this truck to 4s.
Not a good idea to use old batteries with new ones when going with two 3s to make 6s. It's good practice to always buy two 3s at the same time, same specs, same brand (y)

Also going with a bigger pinion for anything other than straight runs even bashing on pavement will drastically increase temps. Throw on the 26t pinion for speed runs and then back down to 18t for street bashing, grass, or general all around bashing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back