Need new Pinion Gear, but which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vengeance

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I recently bought the kit to change the 14mm wheels and tires on my Big Rock 3s to 17mm. It's my understanding that I will need to change my pinion gear also. Can someone familiar with this conversion please tell me which pinion gear I will need to get? For new 17mm wheels&tires I will be getting some Badlands or something very similar in size. How will I know if I have the right pinion gear installed?
Thanks!

If you go bigger wheels you need to go to a smaller number of teeth in your pinion gear to combat heating issues.

Big Rock 3s comes with 15t pinion. IMO 15t pinion is still perfect for Badlands 2.8’s and other 2.8 size tires.

Larger pinion will go faster, but heat up electronics faster as well. Smaller pinion will keep electronics cooler but sacrifices speed. Size of pinion depends on your priorities and how you balance speed vs overheating. I’d keep the 15t pinion, run it, decide if you’d like to go smaller or bigger.

Last edited:
How will I know if I have the right pinion gear installed?
Thanks!

Heat :)

Like many others, I did go from 14mm to 17mm tires, which are the Badlands. I did see heat increase.

However, I did go to a 17T & 18T Robinson pinion, and the heat was bad...even with the good aluminum fans I have on it, see below...good fans

I went back to 15T and was happy, again.

1716439324145.png

Back