New Castle 1717 1650 Dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
  5. Voltage
I ran this motor Twice. Had a 1515 2200 in it then swapped out for the 1717 1650.
Ran it once (few days ago) and it was fine. Ran it a second time for 15 min yesterday. Was fine.
I Went to use it today and from the first moment I pressed accelerate it made this horrible sound.
I thought it was Diffs but it was clearly coming from the center or motor.

First thing I did was remove the center diff and give the motor a whirl and this is what is sounds like.
I removed the Pinion and it's exactly the same.
It also got Very Hot on the bench in just 2 min.
As it's spinning, it's bogging and doesn't seem to want to turn and the ESC is Blinking after I start the motor.
However when placed on its butt (shaft facing skyward) it spins fine. But on its side, it's not.

WTF?

Last edited:
Pull your rotor out of your motor. It sounds like the carbon unwrapped from the rotor. If so, send it back. Also check your bearings.

Pull your rotor out of your motor. It sounds like the carbon unwrapped from the rotor. If so, send it back. Also check your bearings.

YUP!
And I contacted Castle, they told me after review they would replace the motor in 4-8 weeks. 4-8 weeks?!
SO I got a Full Refund from Amazon. It all goes Back Monday morning. 4-8 weeks. I can have another motor here by Tuesday!

I already have another MMX8S that arrived with a broken Fan a few weeks ago.
And a new 1515 2200.
And the sensor cables they ship with the motors aren't long enough even for a Typhon. Had to spend another $25 for longer sensor cables.

I wanted a 2nd MMX8S and a 1717 1650 for 2 different rigs.

Not sure what to order now.

Ironically. I paid $360 for the combo.

It's NOW on sale for $298! Same combo MMX8S + 1717 1650

Last edited:
Should have got that tp 4070 1700kv! :cool:

I still will! LOL I have to own a TP motor eventually!

I have everything set, bought and made for these 2 buggies. And since I got the MMX8S and 1717 (again) for $298 delivered, it's cheaper and easy.
And I will have it all Tuesday.

In 2 weeks I won't have much time for wrenching the cars till Mid August :-( so I want to get these done and running so I can actually enjoy them and bash the shite out of them when people I work with piss me off - and over the next few weeks Im going to be getting pissed off allot!
These cars keep me from harming others. HAHAHA. It's good for them, they should all chip in a buy me more cars.

:-D

This is a good deal. That motor breaking just put $60 in my pocket, which I immediately gave back to Amazon.
I hate Jeff Bozo. And his Rockets suck. hahaha.
https://a.co/d/29joWov

SO Now I know what the notorious Castle issue is first hand. I read that if it's goin to break, it does so immediately. Thats what it did too. No more than 25 min of lite run time. (Edit: Okay, not Lite! I beat the shot out of it for 15 min + the trips back & forth to the field :rolleyes: ) But thats just the Tip, Im going to beat the shot out of it allot!

Last edited:
I want to add, it doesn't matter what's wrong with the motor. It's new, send it back. what's wrong with the motor is Castle's problem not yours. You paid for a working motor it's Castles job to supply it.

I want to add, it doesn't matter what's wrong with the motor. It's new, send it back. what's wrong with the motor is Castle's problem not yours. You paid for a working motor it's Castles job to supply it.

Totally. I had just bought it and it was fulfilled by Amazon. Full refund was easy and free. With Amazon some products have 30-90 days for no-questions-asked refund/return. Its always worth looking for or paying a few $$ more for.
Castle gives you 1 year. Typically they say if there are any modifications to the products it voids warrantee (beware ESC owners).
And i get it, but for the first 30+ days, it's between me and Amazon. After that Castle will take care of it, just not as quickly as you may like.

I made a leap of faith in the "Castle" system. Its convent, seems thought out (at least their Marketing is) and Many seem to like their products. I gotta say the BT is very cool and easy. I grab the logs each time I go out, emails them to me and I clear the memory. I have all the logs in a cloud-drive and can load any of them up from my phone or pad easy and fast. On a Win PC too. The Sensor is not really needed but they do crawl along nicely now with high jumpy gears. Thats good for me when the grandkids are around, And I like recording the motor temps. it's all nice, not necessary.

I spent $800 delivered, done final for (2) MMX8s's ESC's, (2) Motors (1515 and 1717) , (2) BT's, (2) longer sensor cables + another $100 for (2) pinions and (2) sets of Dual Server Fans, switches and hardware - finished. (2) Major Upgrades. Parts left over I can sell or trickle down too.

And I could Easily have spent 50-100% more.

Leaves me some annual budget for Driveshafts. Im going to Need all new Driveshafts. Mine are not so good anymore, lots of vibration. They've taken allot of beatings! They look fine and seem great but they're not. that going to be another $500 +/- for the (2) Buggies. Its

My son's Kraton has a 1717 in it, the motor is amazing. once you get a 1717 in your truck that works you'll like it.

I gotta Share.

I returned the Combo. Order another one.

It's in and running, but this is the 2nd new MMX8S I got that arrived with a broken Fan. Missing a blade.
Castle wants me to mail them back to them "trackable shipping" and they will replace them in like 2 months.
Makes Ya All Warm and Fuzzy inside.

IMG_5689.JPG

I gotta Share.

I returned the Combo. Order another one.

It's in and running, but this is the 2nd new MMX8S I got that arrived with a broken Fan. Missing a blade.
Castle wants me to mail them back to them "trackable shipping" and they will replace them in like 2 months.
Makes Ya All Warm and Fuzzy inside.

View attachment 312626
100% not worth the trouble, those fans are so cheap that you would have broke it in 1-3 packs anyway. Even my on road rigs manage to break blades on those fans sometimes and every single basher has broken that fan lol. Those 40mm alu frame fans are a must.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back