New diff and case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltystevo

Reaction score
Hey guys , I need some help with which one diff and case I should get. I have a stock motor in my kraton v3 and would just want a stronger case and have to rebuild my gears in diff.... what's the best BANG for the buck but stronger then stock?

@Moirae uses pretty cost effective alloy bulkheads with very good results, but I don’t know which ones. Maybe he has a link?
If it were me I’d use stock gears if they need to be replaced.

@Moirae uses pretty cost effective alloy bulkheads with very good results, but I don’t know which ones. Maybe he has a link?
If it were me I’d use stock gears if they need to be replaced.
So basically buy a new diff from Jenny's RC?
Or is buying all the gears in the diff cheaper?

I’d go complete diff, especially if you’re getting new bulkheads. Check them for fluid and/or put in the fluid weight you want, and shim them in the bulkheads. You’ll get good mileage out of them as long as you don’t land jumps on the power or brakes.

If they didn’t put a steel insert on the drive shaft side of the aluminum case, it won’t last long before becoming oblong and leaking from wearing on the output shaft.

If they didn’t put a steel insert on the drive shaft side of the aluminum case, it won’t last long before becoming oblong and leaking from wearing on the output shaft.
If memory serves Vitavon made some out of 7075 T6 and they held up.

My guess is these are lower grade 6061 though, solid point. If no sleeve they probably won't last too long.

Last edited:

Yes most if not all of the cheap Chinese 1 piece diff cups do not have the steel insert.

Yes most if not all of the cheap Chinese 1 piece diff cups do not have the steel insert.
And it hasn't mattered for me and my tp motors 😎 👍🏾

And it hasn't mattered for me and my tp motors 😎 👍🏾
The one I bought didn't last very long before the hole hogged out and it started leaking with the stock BLX185 system. I had it on my center diff. I don't trust them unless they have a steel insert for that reason.

Bear in mind that those are also 4.30 ratio diffs. OK for bashing, but you’re not going to want them in a Lim or an Infraction. And I wonder how the ring and input gears (as well as the internal diff gears) would hold up? As @RCbuzz said, who’s going to be our guinea pig? 😂

The one I bought didn't last very long before the hole hogged out and it started leaking with the stock BLX185 system. I had it on my center diff. I don't trust them unless they have a steel insert for that reason.
Center it will last the longest due to eccentric side force loads being less. When front and rear suspension articulates the dogbones create more vertical loading vs rotational. Center will endure more rpm and heat depending on fluid weight and transfer.

7075 is definitely better but doesn’t have the hardness and thermal properties of a 4140, especially hardened/coated. That’s why most modern diff carriers that have aluminum are multiple components.

Center it will last the longest due to eccentric side force loads being less. When front and rear suspension articulates the dogbones create more vertical loading vs rotational. Center will endure more rpm and heat depending on fluid weight and transfer.

7075 is definitely better but doesn’t have the hardness and thermal properties of a 4140, especially hardened/coated. That’s why most modern diff carriers that have aluminum are multiple components.
Which is why I was surprised the hole got hogged out.

If I do just replace the riffs to stock are the v5 the same fitment as v3?
Yes. Just get replacements from Jennys rc https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...fferential-front-rear-factory-built-ara8608v5 it bolts right on.

I'm glad I don't have the problems yall do and I get to save money while not seeing a single "leak" anywhere for the year I've been using them. Maybe I'm just lucky tho because I don't run into 99% of the problems the vocal people around here seem to run into. Works for me tho! I'll keep saving money and buying more rigs 😊

Back