Infraction New esc warranty replacement part issue during set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeTrout

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
I need some of you guys, and gals help with my current situation with my 6s Infraction. I just received a warranty replacement 150amp brushless ESC as my previous 3 month old ESC burned up. Truck is mostly stock other than 20T pinion for speed runs, diff fluid, and metal center diff casing. Using 2, 3S, 5200, 80C lipos with ec5 plugs. The new ESC has IC5 plugs which Im told are compatible. So hooked up everything and mounted it just like original ESC was mounted. I did the bind and calibrate on it. Right when I finished and was testing throttle, brake, and reverse I smelled something burning, then noticed smoke coming from the truck. I immediately powered off the truck and transmitter and unplugged the batteries. I started feeling around to see if anything was hot or looked burned and I could not find anything. Has anybody experienced this or know what I might need to check that would cause this to happen? I have attached some pictures 2 trillion show how everything is hooked up and where my stick positions are for the transmitter. If anyone has any input I'd love to hear it thanks in advance.

20220716_235446.jpg

20220716_235618.jpg

20220716_235551.jpg

20220716_235517.jpg

20220716_235417.jpg

The wiring all looks good from the pix.
There was NO reason to do a Bind. Just needed to calibrate the radio to the NEW ESC's Throttle endpoints.
If there was someting burning, Place your Nose to the Receiver, ESC and Servo. The component that was smoking will still smell.
If using the stock Spektrum Servo still, they have been known to fry the BEC circuit of the ESC and even the Receiver.
The burned component will smell. Be deliberate about smelling each component. Even if you have to remove one of them at a time.
What I would do. Process of elimination. Hopefully the ESC is not bricked. Try disconnecting the Servo altogether to see if the ESC works fine with no more burning or smoke.
Hopefully the new ESC was not defective out the gate. Kind of doubt it though. Just playing devils advocate here.
Also make sure your Motor is fine, clean and well maintained. It's BB's lubed and all. Disassemble it to do this.

Last edited:
Why do you have your steering and brake rates up so high?
I noticed that also.
If your servo endpoints were way too extreme this could explain a failed servo. And potential other failure.
R U running the stocker Spekrum servo?

Why do you have your steering and brake rates up so high?
Specktrum suggests having brake rate at max, and i usually have AVS around the 2 o'clock area when running.
I noticed that also.
If your servo endpoints were way too extreme this could explain a failed servo. And potential other failure.
R U running the stocker Spekrum servo?
Stock specktrum servo on brakes, and steering. They have been working fine. I calibrated at those settings but i do turn avs down and keep brake at max when running it.
The wiring all looks good from the pix.
There was NO reason to do a Bind. Just needed to calibrate the radio to the NEW ESC's Throttle endpoints.
If there was someting burning, Place your Nose to the Receiver, ESC and Servo. The component that was smoking will still smell.
If using the stock Spektrum Servo still, they have been known to fry the BEC circuit of the ESC and even the Receiver.
The burned component will smell. Be deliberate about smelling each component. Even if you have to remove one of them at a time.
What I would do. Process of elimination. Hopefully the ESC is not bricked. Try disconnecting the Servo altogether to see if the ESC works fine with no more burning or smoke.
Hopefully the new ESC was not defective out the gate. Kind of doubt it though. Just playing devils advocate here.
Also make sure your Motor is fine, clean and well maintained. It's BB's lubed and all. Disassemble it to do this.
SrC, I took your advice and started smelling the individual parts. The engine cooling fans seem to have that burned plastic smell to them. At no point did they stop operating though. Im going to disconnect them and power up and see what happens. Thanks

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back