Senton New Hobbywing motor stops after a few seconds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidws

Reaction score
Hello!

Please be gentle, I'm new here and new to RC cars too :) but I'd love some help before the long easter weekend.

Last week the motor on my brand new Senton BLX died as the bearing collapsed after 5 days and 7 batteries' worth of race time.
I sent this back to Wheelspin and they sent it to the distributor for a replacement, so God knows when I'll get a replacement back.

Wanting to get back to racing asap I went and ordered a Hobbywing EZRUN 3652SL 3300kV G2, to also have as spare if this were to happen again.
I just received this > installed a spare 19T-32 pitch pinion (factory is 20T) > mounted it.
I of course made sure it was all well aligned, tightly screwed and spinning freely and first test with wheels off ground seemed fine.

I then put the Senton on the ground to give it a quick spin, and here is where I have problems... the motor runs fine and quick for a few seconds/meters, but then if I stop it struggles to move again.. I can see the shaft trying to rotate but it's as if the motor has not enough juice? The esc does not beep, as it did when the factory motor died (and the pinion was just stuck).

The motor is barely warm to the touch, so I have no idea what I am doing wrong here.. is it a motor/esc compatibility issue? Is the motor too weak or badly geared? Do I simply need to recalibrate and change some settings on the esc (this is currently set to factory settings as out of the box)?

Please help :( and thank you!

Last edited:
How is the condition of your slipper gear? Meaning any boogered up teeth? Loose? If that checks out then I would recalibrate the ESC. Good luck!

Welcome davidws,

A motor/esc compatibility isn't very likely. Your esc having problems because the previous motor got stuck could be the case.
I assume it runs fine when there is no gearing attached? If that's the case it's certainly not the motor.

Just a thought Did you perhaps reverse ch2 on your remote to correct the running direction. Reverse is also braking. If you swapped them around it could explain what you describe. The esc would think you are driving backwards, once you brake it will throttle up and if you throttle up again the brake will engage and thus not move.

I’m an idiot.. one of the bullet connectors got undone and wasn’t making connection! It was all tucked down so I only noticed the second time I pulled the motor out 😆

took it for a spin and went through two battery packs.. then the damn servo crapped out, but at least I have a spare from my crawler.. anyways the hobbywing motor feels less punchy and slower than stock but does it’s job. The stock heat sink is the right diameter but I should cut a little gap for the cables, else it’s too long and won’t let the motor engage the gear. I might do that so it fits both motors

I now stripped the spur gear... 2 weeks in and that went too, on top of the failed motor and servo.. I take responsibility for this one though as I’m sure I screwed something up between new motor, pinion and mounting it.. but damn since owning this thing I already spent more time waiting for parts than with a functioning model :(

Get the metal spur , you will also need an extra slipper Pad , but well worth it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back