New HobbyWing programmer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I own a bunch of Hobbywing programmers of various vintages and the ESCs that go with them. Do I use the one with the blue writing on it or the white writing? Hell, I'll just plug one in and see if it does anything.

Well that’s pretty aggravating. I just bought the LCD programmer is there any way to pull a data log to my PC through the LCD programmer or do I have to buy the OTA and use my iPad? This is for the Max5 HV G2

It appears that the programmers are not universal. I have a spectrum V2 that I updated with the latest software, so that I can program V2 Spectrum ESC. I had to buy a programmer from Hobby wing to use with the Hobby wing ESC. The protocols are different for each, but the boxes look the same.

I have not tried to download a data log using the (USB C Adapter for the) / PC connection. Or if it's even possible to get a data log this way.

Last edited:
No work around like that. Need the new OTA device.
What I have for my Zerun series HW ESC's. I have Android FWIW. Not IOS.

All spelled out here.
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/ezrun-max5-system-g2
Yup, if you want to take that route then the OTA programmer is a must. $63.00 ain’t cheap, but the tuning and logging options are great. A lot of guys mount these to their rigs in/on the receiver box for each vehicle but that gets really pricey really quick. I just keep it off board and plug it in to whatever rig I need to tune. If you raced, that might be a PITA because you’d be changing perimeters all the time, but for a basher you pretty much just adjust it to how you like it and never really need to mess with it again, so it’s not like you’re constantly having to open up your receiver box.

I did mount mine on my Lim initially because I was tweaking my Lim's ESC for speed runs. But have since removed it.
For serious racing, mounting it is a plus. For bashing, we pretty much set and forget after a few initial trial and error ESC setups.

I just need to see amp drawl and full throttle. This is for the limitless speed run rig.

That's a personal call there.
What works for your needs.:)

Question is.... when do you need to see the max amp output and max-100% Thr pull.
On the bench or in the Field?
Out in the field you concentrate on the driving aspect.

@Dales396lt4 , can you tell me how you will be setting your ESC's Punch value parameter??

Question is.... when do you need to see the max amp output and max-100% Thr pull.
On the bench or in the Field?
Out in the field you concentrate on the driving aspect.

@Dales396lt4 , can you tell me how you will be setting your ESC's Punch value parameter??
Only for speed running do you really that information, using the date to squeeze as much as possible from the setup. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m really interested to see what the new G2 HobbyWing systems can do now that we can finally pull logs from the ESC’s. For years now the hardcore speed runners have just said “screw it, buy a Castle XLX2“ so it will be interesting to see if any of the experienced guys will start pulling data and working on optimizing the new HW systems. Nobody I’ve seen so far seems really interested in doing it yet, though.

I run my punch on the lowest setting in the max 5 G2. I know that my 4990 and Max5 are not at all hot after a run, so can I gear up? (30/39) Maybe? was I at max trigger? On a day that I make a speed run, I make a soft pass on 6S around mid 90's check the car over and move to 1 8S pass and done! hopefully over a 100mph (108 so far.) I just would like to know the data. lol no need to push my luck.

I run my punch on the lowest setting in the max 5 G2. I know that my 4990 and Max5 are not at all hot after a run, so can I gear up? (30/39) Maybe? was I at max trigger? On a day that I make a speed run, I make a soft pass on 6S around mid 90's check the car over and move to 1 8S pass and done! hopefully over a 100mph (108 so far.) I just would like to know the data. lol no need to push my luck.
The most important thing is to keep your temp gun handy. If you’re running that cool right now I’d certainly think you could bump up the pinion a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back