New LIPO break-in process?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActionJackson

Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys recommend putting new LIPO batteries through a break-in process before first use to get the best life out of a battery?

If so, can someone let me know how to do it?

Thanks!

I do not. First charge should balance them as well. So you are good to go. I balance charge all batteries at 1c rate.

I think for RTR-type ESCs that are not going over 200 amps you would be fine to balance charge and let her rip.
For speedrunners that put 400-700 amp loads on the battery it is best to power cycle them at least 2x before use. We just charge em up and then discharge them. I have a SkyRC discharger that will suck the power out of a big lipo in a matter of minutes.

If you’re just bashing around with a relatively mild setup, ie stock Arrma setup (not speed pinion)

You’re good to just balance charge at the manufactures recommended rate (1C-3C) and run your rig mildly for a couple of cycles before hitting it aggressively.

I like to cycle 3 times with each new lipo before putting it into service. I usually get them in pairs and a few of the times I ran one immediately, cycled the others three times and the ones that I cycle tend to do better.

Last edited:
I break in every lipo I have, and I'm attributing the long lifespan of almost every LiPo I own to this. The first 6 cycles are always balance charged (I never don't balance charge, in fact) and I drive very casually with mild power on/off loading. After that you're good to rip.

I like to cycle 3 times with each new lipo before putting it into service. I usually get them in pairs and a few of the times I ran one immediately, cycled the others three times and the ones that I cycle tend to do better.

Does cycle mean charge then discharge?

I'm totally new at this, what is chafe. Just bought new 6s and would like to keep it a while.

I'm totally new at this, what is chafe. Just bought new 6s and would like to keep it a while.
Ugh, it’s either my really messed up typing or auto correct 😂
Charge. Charge to 4.2/cell then store to 3.8/cell is what I mean by cycle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back