New Max6 smells weird out of box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its like a faint burnt smell. Is that normal? Only my second one and I don't remember a smell from the first one. Just opened it up and thought that seems unusual.
I own several and do not recall any burnt smells. I would email and ask for sure.

Two out of about 8 or 10 had a crispy smell... one is a couple years old, the other about 6 months... all has been good, no issues at all.... Mike

As suggested, take a picture of the motor new in box and send it to support before you solder anything, noting the smell of course, that way there's a paper trail in case it's DOA after you solder it on.

I wonder if residual smells from factory production might be what is causing it.

Got pictures and will wait on email reply before soldering just to be safe.

Yeah i recently purchased a 10BL120 G2. Had a smell similar to what your were describing, unlike the smell of other hobbywing stuff i've bought. Almost smelled "burnt out" out of the box. Been running it just fine though, no issues. Probably just a different type of coating they switched to using on the PCB.

I just opened 3 max5 g2 esc's within past three months.All had weird/toxic smell so I guess it's normal.

Definitely not "Chanel" smell

Ok, definitely feel better knowing I'm not the only one that noticed and it hasn't been a sign of issues with the esc.

Just emailed Hobbywing because I want to hear what they have to say AND have it on file that I said something FIRST before I solder anything and install it.
Good plan.

I heard you cannot reach them for warranty claims.
Maybe I am wrong.

I got a reply back the next business day when I contacted them last month.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back