Caps getting hot on new Max6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I bought a new Max6 recently to replace another Max6 that was hitting thermal shutdown because the capacitors were overheating. I had run a ton of 6s packs through that one and thought it might be time to replace.

No thermal shutdown issues on the new one, but the cap temps are still way higher than anything else.

Running a Hobbystar 4082 1780kv now, 20/46 gearing and belted Jetko Supersonic tires that are 5.1 inches tall, so not geared up high. Also Im not bashing all that hard because of the caps running hot. Bearings are all new and everything feels normal when I try to find binding.

Outside temps were in the 40s at the end of a 6s pack. Motor and esc temps were 90-100, the caps were around 140.

What else should I be checking?

Have a picture of your setup? Wouldn’t consider that hot, but if your battery leads are long or you’re getting a lot of voltage spikes they’ll be smoothing that out.

Quality caps are rated to at least 105C/220F

The caps on ESC's do take a beating and have a lot of ripple to smooth out. I think 140F is okay but it makes me wonder what it will be like when summer comes around.

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for an external cap pack. I think Spektrum does this just to be on the safe side.

You can also make your own cap pack. Let me check on that.

I think 140F is okay but it makes me wonder what it will be like when summer comes around.
Yeah its not the 140, more worried it wont handle warmer weather. I didnt even run it hard today.
1000005094.jpg

I wonder if that motor has something to do with it. Specs say 150amps max, at 6s you are topping out the voltage on that motor as well.

Max current on the spektrum 2050kv is 62amps.

@sumguy75 you ever figure out what was going on? Was it the motor or esc?

Been on the shelf since that day, lol. I'm planning to take the Max6 out of the Talion and put it in the Notorious to see how it does. Hoping that forecast for sunny weather next week works out. :cool:

Back