Limitless New PB today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I believe to be true about foams is they have a lot more traction, especially laterally, so you really have to turn your steering expo down even further. Also sanding the outer edges so they don’t grab when turning helps too.

I believe this is true; I have run foams all my life and I will tell you this - the grip is incredible, provided you choose the correct firmness.
In fact, there may be many who have heard the claim that it is dangerous to drive the streets with bald tires when the fact is that unless the tire is down to the canvas, they actually have a much better grip. We invented the 'treaded tire' for a couple of reasons.
The most obvious is the treads allow the tire to have some contact on the road, instead of driving on water.

Why do you think about professional race cars? The cars heave no treads, they're slicks.

Great job BobS.

Last edited:
I believe this is true; I have run foams all my life and I will tell you this - the grip is incredible, provided you choose the correct firmness.
In fact, there may be many who have heard the claim that it is dangerous to drive the streets with bald tires when the fact is that unless the tire is down to the canvas, they actually have a much better grip. We invented the 'treaded tire' for a couple of reasons. The most obvious is the treads allow the tire to have some contact on the road, instead of driving on water.
Why do you think about professional race cars? The cars heave no treads, they're slicks.

Great job BobS.
Most of the time it’s to channel away water or grip snow/ice

Most of the time it’s to channel away water or grip snow/ice
I may have not made that clear. But, with that said, I thought I made it clear, so sorry. Yes, we have treads only because of wet conditions. I just came across an article in which a guy was run over by a drunken driver. Among the reasons as to how he crashed, yes it was due to his blowing a 1.0 in the police device. But they also cited him for having bald tires which is where I started to laugh. It was very dry out and his tires were not even down to the tread surface.
If the guy he hit dies? Involuntary manslaughter charges await him. The citation for bald tires will be the least of his problems. But in this particular incident, the bald tires were not the reason he crashed, If you booze, you lose.

Again, I don't know of any on-road car race that allows the race to continue in the rain. Hope I cleared that up. I certainly didn't have intentions of '12 stepping' anyone. - Dave

I may have not made that clear. But, with that said, I thought I made it clear, so sorry. Yes, we have treads only because of wet conditions. I just came across an article in which a guy was run over by a drunken driver. Among the reasons as to how he crashed, yes it was due to his blowing a 1.0 in the police device. But they also cited him for having bald tires which is where I started to laugh. It was very dry out and his tires were not even down to the tread surface.
If the guy he hit dies? Involuntary manslaughter charges await him. The citation for bald tires will be the least of his problems. But in this particular incident, the bald tires were not the reason he crashed, If you booze, you lose.

Again, I don't know of any on-road car race that allows the race to continue in the rain. Hope I cleared that up. I certainly didn't have intentions of '12 stepping' anyone. - Dave
Blad tires do not always = grip on dry pavement.
One thing to consider is that some tire companies alter the compounds/layers different for the tread versus the inner rubber.

"Tires are not made from a single kind of rubber, but use different compounds in different parts of the tire. The “sticky” traction surface compound is far different from the underlying body of the tire. If you’ve worn the tread past 2/32”, the tire carcass offers almost no traction, made of a less “sticky” rubber. Even on dry surfaces, you’ll find it difficult to accelerate, brake, and corner without slipping."

Then if they get beyond this to the point of the steel belting starting to show it becomes even more slick!

Blad tires do not always = grip on dry pavement.
One thing to consider is that some tire companies alter the compounds/layers different for the tread versus the inner rubber.

"Tires are not made from a single kind of rubber, but use different compounds in different parts of the tire. The “sticky” traction surface compound is far different from the underlying body of the tire. If you’ve worn the tread past 2/32”, the tire carcass offers almost no traction, made of a less “sticky” rubber. Even on dry surfaces, you’ll find it difficult to accelerate, brake, and corner without slipping."

Then if they get beyond this to the point of the steel belting starting to show it becomes even more slick!

I would not presume to debate you but tell me why the fastest race cars run slicks? Thanks for your input.

I would not presume to debate you but tell me why the fastest race cars run slicks? Thanks for your input.
Road tires and race car tires are entirely different.
Race slicks have the soft rubber without the trad pattern cut/formed into them. Road tires as we discussed have the tread patterns for water displacement and in some cases they are engineered for snow and off-road traction needs too.

The point I was making is that when you run the soft rubber tread down on a road tire..... to the point of it being slick that is no longer soft rubber. It is actually a harder compound and provides less grip even on a dry road.

I did drifting with a 95' 240sx many moons ago and have ran so many tires from different brands down slick that I cant count them all. Once that tread is gone the traction is long gone.

Living in a wet country where the weather changes by the minute bald tires (due to comploud as @LibertyMKiii explained) are suicide.

My statement would be tires have threads so the wear is measureable
Ah, which leads me to my second hunch about treads. They would obviously wear much faster and subsequently would need to be replaced much more often. But I'll stick to treads were designed for wet weather.

Ah, which leads me to my second hunch about treads. They would obviously wear much faster and subsequently would need to be replaced much more often. But I'll stick to treads were designed for wet weather.
I had some DOT legal 100 treadwear race tires. I got 8k miles on them for general road use going to work and back before they had to be replaced.

Best to stick with tires designed for the intended use ;)

Of course, you must always err on the side of caution, but most of the facts are right.
Thanks again for your most insightful comment.
I know that you have incredible hindsight, insight, and foresight. That's why I check n with you when I have a problem.
Thank you once again. I can't wait to find something that you didn't know, so I could pass it on. -Dave

Of course, you must always err on the side of caution, but most of the facts are right.
Thanks again for your most insightful comment.
I know that you have incredible hindsight, insight, and foresight. That's why I check n with you when I have a problem.
Thank you once again. I can't wait to find something that you didn't know, so I could pass it on. -Dave
I hope I do not come across as a know-it-all. That is certainly not my intent.

I do like to share info/knowledge and help others save money by not making the same mistakes I have via lessons learned.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back