Typhon new set of shocks for Typhon 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcalsc

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
  5. Typhon 3s
so from the start, I wasn't very happy with the stock shocks, I then purchased a set of RCWAD shocks that were way to big. then I bought what looked like a nice set from king hobby on eBay. while they were nice in looks they blew out after a few runs on pavement. they completely lost compression and spewed fluid all over my car, I was not very happy because I thought I had found the answer. So I ended up with the stockers on my car again for a little while but I kept looking for a solution, I wanted a Typhon 6s set but i couldn't find a set of four from a kit breaker. what I ended up doing was buying a set of talion exb and outcast exb front shocks. I have finally found a setup I am happy with they're big and just barely clear the drivelines, but they work and they have the feel I was looking for. Has anyone else ever tried this?

20220216_151900.jpg

20220216_151909.jpg

I see you have 6s shocks, are they Mojave fronts and Kraton fronts on the rear? That’s what I run on all four of my 3s cars.
On the front put in three, 1mm washers between the shock and the arm and it’ll give you enough clearance for the driveshaft. On the back you only need one or two washers.

Man those look huge but that’s a great looking rig, probably my next Arrma

Don’t forget to open them up and top them off. They are typically half full or so. Same with differentials.
What are your front shocks? I was thinking Mojave fronts but they don’t have boots…unless you put boots on.
Sorry man I missed that in your post. I see what you did now.
Did you shorten the outcast shocks?

haven't done anything to
Don’t forget to open them up and top them off. They are typically half full or so. Same with differentials.
What are your front shocks? I was thinking Mojave fronts but they don’t have boots…unless you put boots on.
Sorry man I missed that in your post. I see what you did now.
Did you shorten the outcast shocks?
haven't done anything to them yet. I will probably set them up a little cleaner and as you mentioned top the fluid off. Im justy happy for now that I have a setup that I feel will finally work

To clear the drive shafts better, I used the spacers from Traxxas 1937 and a 18mm button hex screw to make up for the longer length.

haven't done anything to

haven't done anything to them yet. I will probably set them up a little cleaner and as you mentioned top the fluid off. Im justy happy for now that I have a setup that I feel will finally work
That’s great. Be careful not to use spacers longer than 3 mm. I learned the hard way by breaking off and bending 12.9 steel grade bolts in A arms. 3 mm upfront and one or two back is perfect. I’m just figuring this out.

The ones for the Outkast are 115 mm which is a good 8 mm longer than stock I believe. Maybe a bit more. Some shorten travel by using a bit of fuel line around the shock rod inside the body. You’ll figure all this stuff out as you go.
Welcome to the rabbit hole 🙃

The ones for the Outkast are 115 mm which is a good 8 mm longer than stock I believe. Maybe a bit more. Some shorten travel by using a bit of fuel line around the shock rod inside the body. You’ll figure all this stuff out as you go.
The Outcast front and Talion front shocks are the same length as a Kraton/Mojave setup (115mm, 108mm). I assume he's using the Outcast front shocks (115mm) for the rear of his 3s Typhon, which has the same length as stock (115mm). It's the Talion front shocks (108mm) that are 8mm longer than stock Typhon 3s front shocks (100mm). And yes, some tubing around the shock shaft can shorten this.

I have finally found a setup I am happy with they're big and just barely clear the drivelines, but they work and they have the feel I was looking for. Has anyone else ever tried this?
That's a popular setup, Kraton/Outcast (115mm) front shocks for the rear of a 3s and Mojave/Talion (108mm) front shocks for the front. The main difference would be the Talion springs (9.7 lb/in) are much stiffer than Mojave (7.7 lb/in) springs. If you find the front end bounces too hard on bumps instead of absorbing them, you may want to consider lighter springs.

Are the v5 typhon shocks(front and rear) an easy direct bolt on for a v3 3s typhon because I took
mine off the 6s before I sold it because the dude wanted to lower it for speed runs. Anyway, I have a mint set of v5 6s typhon shocks collecting dust in my toolbox. I would put them on my v3 3s typhon if they’re a direct bolt-on? Thanks

Are the v5 typhon shocks(front and rear) an easy direct bolt on for a v3 3s typhon

The Typhon 6s shocks work well for the 3s line. You will need Axial bushings for the top of the shocks. https://www.amazon.com/Axial-AXA1356-Silicone-Shock-Bushing/dp/B0051W7R1M?&tag=arrma-20 The top hole is wider on the 6s shocks, the bushings fill in the extra space.

Also, the 6s shocks are wider and can rub the driveshafts, especially in front. Put washers on in between the bottom of shocks and the arm to push the shock away from the driveshaft. 2 or 3 washers (1mm thick) should be enough for the front. I only used one washer in the back.

The Typhon 6s springs are lighter than 3s springs. You can adjust the preload to adjust, but depending on how you run your 3s Typhon, you may want stiffer springs.

Thanks. Best way to rig the axial bushings for the front without ordering parts?my stock 3s shocks don’t leak at all and are still in fantastic shape. I was just looking for more tunability but maybe the stockers are best

Last edited:
Some people use tubing to fill the space in the shock hole and washers to fill the space on the sides of the shock top. But the Axial bushings do it all in one part, fit perfectly and last a long time. I think the added cushion probably helps durability (I've never snapped a shock tower or shock cap). They're not expensive, $4.99. If you already have tubing and washers, then I guess you can fit the shocks right away and it will be cheaper.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’m just don’t want the 6s shocks to go to waste if they can improve the performance of the buggy. The 3s platforms lightness is what makes it great imo and I don’t want to add heft for no reason. My intentions for the buggy is for 3s class race duty only. Bashing and breaking just isn’t my deal but to each his own

Last edited:
The Typhon 6s shocks work well for the 3s line. You will need Axial bushings for the top of the shocks. https://www.amazon.com/Axial-AXA1356-Silicone-Shock-Bushing/dp/B0051W7R1M?&tag=arrma-20 The top hole is wider on the 6s shocks, the bushings fill in the extra space.

Also, the 6s shocks are wider and can rub the driveshafts, especially in front. Put washers on in between the bottom of shocks and the arm to push the shock away from the driveshaft. 2 or 3 washers (1mm thick) should be enough for the front. I only used one washer in the back.

The Typhon 6s springs are lighter than 3s springs. You can adjust the preload to adjust, but depending on how you run your 3s Typhon, you may want stiffer springs.
Thanks brother. I just order the bushings from Amazon in your link. I tried the tubing and there was still too much play for my liking. I hope the bushings are an easy install and work perfectly. Thanks

Thanks brother. I just order the bushings from Amazon in your link. I tried the tubing and there was still too much play for my liking. I hope the bushings are an easy install and work perfectly. Thanks
Did these bushings work for you?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back