New to ARRMA questions about batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niroc

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to ARRMA and have been wondering about the battery connectors. I am looking to buy a car from the 3s lineup (any recommendations would be great:) and have been wondering about the connectors on the cars. The 3s cars come with an IC5 battery plug, and I am wondering if I could use a battery (without cutting any plugs) that has an IC3 connector. And if you buy a a non Spektrum battery, can you still charge it on a Spektrum charger? Any recommendations or tips greatly appreciated, thanks!

Arrma (horizon) uses mostly Spektrum electronics in their rigs. Spektrum has smart tech in their batts and chargers. I highly recommend starting off w their batteries and chargers. Very easy to use and understand! Welcome to the arrma family!

Welcome aboard!! 😁 ✌️

Welcome to the forum!!! Just an FYI while ic5 and ec5 are compatible, ic3 and ic5 are not. All the 3s are really nice they are great for the power to weight ratio. Pick one that speaks to you and how you drive and you can't go wrong!!!

1693920457948.png

This will allow you to use a ic3 battery.

IC3/EC3 = 3mm bullet connector, IC5/EC5 = 5mm bullet connector. EC3 works with IC3 and EC5 works with IC5.

Do NOT use an adapter on a truck that comes equipped with an IC5. That plug is there for a reason, it's capable of 120amps continuous whereas the IC3 is 60 amps continuous. You run the risk of either bottlenecking your ESC and causing it to go into low voltage limp mode very quickly, or melting the connectors. Just use a battery that has the correct connector on it.

Regarding the Spektrum chargers, it depends on what charger you buy. Some of the low end units are strictly Spektrum Smart batteries only. However, most of the higher end units can charge whatever you want.

IC3/EC3 = 3mm bullet connector, IC5/EC5 = 5mm bullet connector. EC3 works with IC3 and EC5 works with IC5.

Do NOT use an adapter on a truck that comes equipped with an IC5. That plug is there for a reason, it's capable of 120amps continuous whereas the IC3 is 60 amps continuous. You run the risk of either bottlenecking your ESC and causing it to go into low voltage limp mode very quickly, or melting the connectors. Just use a battery that has the correct connector on it.

Regarding the Spektrum chargers, it depends on what charger you buy. Some of the low end units are strictly Spektrum Smart batteries only. However, most of the higher end units can charge whatever you want.
Thanks. Would the S150 smart charger be able to charge non spektrum batteries?
Thank you to all. Glad to be here. 😃

Thanks for joining!

Yes the s150 will charge batteries without Smart technology / g2 smart batteries / non Spektrum batteries 2s-4s LiPo, Lilon, LiHV, LiFe with balance lead. Also charges 2-12 cell NiMH batteries. It's pretty universal but crappy at balancing cells IMO

When getting back into the hobby I started with the s150 and upgraded to the s2200 shortly after. If you think you will be staying with it save your money and get a charger than can do 2 batteries at once and get into a 6s rc..

And get an old ammo can, remove the rubber gasket. store your batteries in there so you don't burn your house down.

This Is Fine GIF

Last edited:
Welcome! One of my rigs is a Senton BLX that I've had for 3 years. It's plenty for what I do, and you can run it on a track that's limited to 10th scale. Like what has been said, adapting a smaller connector battery to a larger connector ECM is not a good idea.

Ok, may get the recommended gens-ace-r-spam battery and a Spektrum charger. Thanks for your help everyone. Hope to get a car soon!

Don't waste your cash on the S150. Buy something that has an actual screen you can read battery info on.

You can charge other batteries on your spektrum charger, but not the other way around unless there is some sort of adapter. The Spektrum batteries will not charge on a normal charger because of their "smart" pin/wire down center.

Best RC purchase I made was my GENs iMars dual charger. I still use my spektrum for those 2 batteries, but there are better batteries IMO than Spektrum and at a cheaper or similar price point. No complaints from my spektrum charger or batteries, just would have done it differently if I could do it again when starting in the hobby.

Which car depends on what you want to do with it. I went with Typhon for its all around capabilities as my first. That quickly spiraled into 3 more Arrma purchases 🤪

If you think you will stay in this hobby for a while I would recommend staying away from the spectrum lipos and charger.
iSDT chargers are great, just make sure its capable of charging on AC power. Some are DC chargers.

CNHL makes some good batteries at a reasonable price. The 3s rigs can probably run fine on cheap lipos like Zeee but the 6s rigs will perform better with a nicer lipo.

If you think you will stay in this hobby for a while I would recommend staying away from the spectrum lipos and charger.
iSDT chargers are great, just make sure its capable of charging on AC power. Some are DC chargers.

CNHL makes some good batteries at a reasonable price. The 3s rigs can probably run fine on cheap lipos like Zeee but the 6s rigs will perform better with a nicer lipo.
I was just getting ready to say this. I could not agree more.

Hello everyone. New to ARRMA and have been wondering about the battery connectors. I am looking to buy a car from the 3s lineup (any recommendations would be great:) and have been wondering about the connectors on the cars. The 3s cars come with an IC5 battery plug, and I am wondering if I could use a battery (without cutting any plugs) that has an IC3 connector. And if you buy a a non Spektrum battery, can you still charge it on a Spektrum charger? Any recommendations or tips greatly appreciated, thanks!
ic3 and ic5 are different sizes and amperage ratings. my spektrum S1200 smart charger will charge 2s to 6s batteries that are using balance plug to charge.(non smart)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back