Senton New to me Senton 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats!

A few thoughts -

When you get the new chassis, if the servo horn drags the chassis plate, add a washer to two under the servo mount screws to raise the whole servo assimbly. I had to do this in my Granite. Also on the steering, the bellcrank rides on plastic bushings, replacing them with bearings improves the steering a huge amount. Last, while at Jenny's, grab some BLX adjustable links. Before you install them, check each ball end for binding, and tweek them as needed so they all move free. Do all this, and the steering will be solid, no aftermarket parts (other than bearings) needed.

If you get the BLX slipper, be sure to also get the BLX motor mount. If you keep the Mega mount, you will need to cut the motor bolt holes, so the 32p pinions will mesh.

For tires, Duratrax makes some 14mm hex premounts. Their SC tires are SCT size, the MT tires are the same size a the Granite tires.

Good Luck, have fun, and post progress!

Jerry

I could be wrong, but I believe most are replacing the stock shocks with the Typhon shocks on that rig.
Brake issue may be the ESC, not the radio.
I think you’re right, might need to calibrate the ESC
Congrats!

A few thoughts -

When you get the new chassis, if the servo horn drags the chassis plate, add a washer to two under the servo mount screws to raise the whole servo assimbly. I had to do this in my Granite.

For tires, Duratrax makes some 14mm hex premounts. Their SC tires are SCT size, the MT tires are the same size a the Granite tires.

Good Luck, have fun, and post progress!

Jerry
Good to know tip about shimming the servo with some washers.
Very good to know Duratrax makes pre mounts for for Arrma in 14mm hex. They are one of my faves. I run their Lock-up SCTs on my Brushless 2wd Slash. To me they beat the ever popular Pro-Line Trencher for an a all around tire.
To me Duratrax

Last edited:
Oh, and dig in the spare parts bag, I have a diff assembly with the metal spline HD input already installed on it.

Though I bought a spare spur gear and have a full set (with a couple of duplicates) pinions, I've not had to change either as the existing 48p gears seem to be holding up to 3s with the brushless without problems.

The only thing I suggest buying is the center drive shaft support. Fits right over the mega's shaft so you won't need to buy the BLX shaft ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Arrma-Center...haft+High+Speed+Support&qid=1577915693&sr=8-1

Here's the motor and esc I'm using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WHCM3Y2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I also got a Flysky radio (FS-GT3B) and it's fantastic, much more responsive than stock. Gonna transfer all the electrics to my esc amp at some point ;)
I like the direction you went with beef up what needed to be and cheap motor ESC combo. I actually got a whole Blx shaft assembly With center support for less than the center support costa on amazon.
When it comes to motor/ESCi am torn between a cheap combo like you got, or the Onxy system ( $75-85 from Horizon/ Amain) or a BLX 3 motor and esc from Jenny’s ( also about $75-80 for both ) . I found the shocks I’m going to use I just need to order them ( after I get my other parts from Jenny’s)

Oh rather than litter up another thread on here I will ask in this thread
NewSenei said he kept 48p gearing with no issues and I might do that too.
If I Do go to 32p. Can I put a 32P spur on the mega slipper assembly?
also is OEM Arrma my only option for 32P gears ? Are there aftermarket , or other brands that fit ?

also is OEM Arrma my only option for 32P gears ? Are there aftermarket , or other brands that fit ?
I believe you can use the BLX slipper/spur and pinion on the mega but you'll want to beef up the drive shaft to the HD parts if you're going higher than 3s or with a beefy motor...

I believe you can use the BLX slipper/spur and pinion on the mega but you'll want to beef up the drive shaft to the HD parts if you're going higher than 3s or with a beefy motor...
I will probably run mostly on higher C rated 2s and or 3S . I already have the HD input gear for the rear, I just need to throw it in there when I do the tear down / clean up.

Keeping the Mega slipper has a few issues.

1- 48p is fragile. Mesh is critical. As your motor power goes up, this can be an issue. The metal HR spur will help with this.
2 - the Mega slipper is a single disk slipper, and the power range it is designed for is below what most 3650 motors produce. You end up running the slipper with the spring locked, and sometimes still not able to get it tight enough due to the plastic nut.
3 - the slipper yoke is cast aluminum, and not real strong. With the slipper locked, there is a LOT of pressure on the cross pin, and the yoke will often break at that pin.

With all that said, I ran the Mega slipper with the 4074 2000kv BLX185 motor and 48p spur for a while. I think the spur died on the second battery. At that time, there was no BLX slipper, so I did the "Yeti mod" - using a 56t 32p spur from a yeti, with a few other tricks to make it work. Yes, I have a vid, if you want it, but really, a BLX slipper from a chop shop is similar cost, and works better.

Two last points - if you switch to 32p spur, you need to make the MEGA motor mount adjustable. Either oval a motor mount hole, or swap to a BLX motor mount. Point 2 - the MEGA diff input is all plastic and weak. The HD17t input has a metal shaft, and will stand up to brushless power - at least as much as the diff gears can take.

The new chassis and a few other misc parts came in. Swapped assemblies over to the the new chassis. Before installing the rear diff I leaned up the diff and all the bearings. I only needed to replace one bearing on the input shaft ( I also have metal input shaft in there now).
You can see in the photos the multiple cracks in the old chassis. One thing I can credit to the handing of this platform. Even with the chassis flex of the old broken backbone and bouncy leaking stock shocks, this thing still handled well on shakedown runs.
I’m going to install a HD metal spline input gear and clean/ inspect all the bearings before reinstall the front.
I would have liked to pop some ball bearings in to replace the plastic bushings, but I have yet to acquire those once I figure out the size and tiger them ordered . Once I do it’s not that much extra work to disassemble and throw some in.
The next order of business is new shocks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 35
Steering bushings are 5x10x4mm
Thank you! I didn’t have a micrometer or even a small ruler handy but I can tell they are a smidge smaller than the 5x11x4 traxxas Bearings.
The good news is, I THINK I have some spare 5x10x4 s in a misc bin of old vintage parts. I’m going to check those against the posts and plastic bushing when o get home from the gym this morning

Thank you! I didn’t have a micrometer or even a small ruler handy but I can tell they are a smidge smaller than the 5x11x4 traxxas Bearings.
The good news is, I THINK I have some spare 5x10x4 s in a misc bin of old vintage parts. I’m going to check those against the posts and plastic bushing when o get home from the gym this morning
Out with the old ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 43
So, I might be holding out on buying new shocks for a while. I found some spare Traxxas Rears around to replace the broken fronts.
Then I started looking at the rear and had a “well it can’t hurt” idea . I popped the little cap that covers the ORing and put the thinnest little bead of Teflon thread tape around the ring. Then snapped the cap back down and ran tape up the threads. It Seems to be working.
(Update) I checked them in the morning and I see no tell take bead of oil on them :))
So far the bearings for the steering and front shocks have been parts bin ( some of which were vintage from my dad’s collection).
The truck itself was only $25 out of pocket ( $100 asking price and I sold a Slash that I got for free for $75 ).
And all the other parts have come from Jenny’s
Not bad so far

Short update:
No real updates to the build as I have been just winter bashing, clean and repeat.
Mostly because I have been building a Spare Part Stampede resto mod ( a tribute to my dad ) . Sorry Traxxas haters. I swap the 27T pinion for 17 and I am really liking the increased run time and bottom end punch.
This thing has no business trying to pull that tall a gear on a brushed 12turn when there is snow on the ground.
Seriously though, the more I drive this truck the more I think I’m
Going to keep it SCT instead of monsterize it. Maybe that will change once spring comes and I have to negotiate deeper, longer grass.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back