Granite Newbie with a Voltage Throttle Control Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CURCNewbie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
Hello everyone,

I just bought two Voltage models for my son and I and I noticed something while we were running them today. My son is young and not ready for using it at full speed (part of why I bought these first). I have both transmitters set to the 50% power level, both cars use the exact same battery (Spektrum 7.4v, 50c, 5000mah, 2s) charged on the exact same charges (I have two running together at the same time, at the same charge level of 3 amps), and they are being ran in the same conditions at the same time. Mine is noticeably faster on the same setting. I noticed it when doing donuts, jumps, and straight line bursts. I can do a controlled donut on mine at 50% easy, breaks loose really well, but the other car won't at all. I have to turn it up to 75% to match mine. When I adjust mine to 75%, it's a bit faster but not as noticeable. When both are on 100%, they act identically as best as I can tell (both will flip themselves mid-donut under full throttle).

Am I nuts or is something going on with the transmitter or car? Nothing else is wrong, and it's not that this is horrible, but I'm only able to run mine for about 20 minutes when my son's will last over 30 doing the same thing I am. I just want the battery to last longer. Doesn't seem to be battery specific, just my car/transmitter. Any help would be appreciated.

Driving style has a big influence on runtime. But being slow and conservative is boring 😁

If you really want more, no-compromise runtime, just buy some more 2s LiPos on Amazon. If you get the right one, you can get 5000mAh for $15 (Do some research to get good ones)

Driving style has a big influence on runtime. But being slow and conservative is boring 😁

If you really want more, no-compromise runtime, just buy some more 2s LiPos on Amazon. If you get the right one, you can get 5000mAh for $15 (Do some research to get good ones)
They already have 2s LiPos.

Hello everyone,

I just bought two Voltage models for my son and I and I noticed something while we were running them today. My son is young and not ready for using it at full speed (part of why I bought these first). I have both transmitters set to the 50% power level, both cars use the exact same battery (Spektrum 7.4v, 50c, 5000mah, 2s) charged on the exact same charges (I have two running together at the same time, at the same charge level of 3 amps), and they are being ran in the same conditions at the same time. Mine is noticeably faster on the same setting. I noticed it when doing donuts, jumps, and straight line bursts. I can do a controlled donut on mine at 50% easy, breaks loose really well, but the other car won't at all. I have to turn it up to 75% to match mine. When I adjust mine to 75%, it's a bit faster but not as noticeable. When both are on 100%, they act identically as best as I can tell (both will flip themselves mid-donut under full throttle).

Am I nuts or is something going on with the transmitter or car? Nothing else is wrong, and it's not that this is horrible, but I'm only able to run mine for about 20 minutes when my son's will last over 30 doing the same thing I am. I just want the battery to last longer. Doesn't seem to be battery specific, just my car/transmitter. Any help would be appreciated.
The electronics in the Voltages are budget focused. It could be an inconsistency in the transmitter, the ESC or the motor. I would also inspect the gears and mesh on the slower one. The mesh should be perfect because of the design of how the motor mounts, but maybe the spur is a little stripped or defective causing poor engagement. Also check rolling resistance between the two...maybe the slow one has a bad bearing.

The electronics in the Voltages are budget focused. It could be an inconsistency in the transmitter, the ESC or the motor. I would also inspect the gears and mesh on the slower one. The mesh should be perfect because of the design of how the motor mounts, but maybe the spur is a little stripped or defective causing poor engagement. Also check rolling resistance between the two...maybe the slow one has a bad bearing.
Would the mechanics be an issue if the problem is sort of fixed by setting both 75% power on transmitter? The speed of the one that can actually be set to 50% is perfect for my son. I'd just like the option of extending the battery a tad.

Already planning on more batteries, I'm more addicted to it than I thought I'd be. Just wasn't sure if I had a serious issue materializing right out of the box. I love the spend whatever percentage the controller says it is, I just end up dead before my son.
As an aside, I'm planning on running (who am I kidding, I'm going to be playing) both, on a timer, to take different operators out of the equation. My son did seem to struggle it up a bunch of hills, spinning all the way, but I was under heavier throttle more often. It just seemed abnormally different in play time. I had killed mine, then grab his when he was through with a quarter power reading on the transmitter and proceeded to pound it for another 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Would the mechanics be an issue if the problem is sort of fixed by setting both 75% power on transmitter? The speed of the one that can actually be set to 50% is perfect for my son. I'd just like the option of extending the battery a tad.

Already planning on more batteries, I'm more addicted to it than I thought I'd be. Just wasn't sure if I had a serious issue materializing right out of the box. I love the spend whatever percentage the controller says it is, I just end up dead before my son.
It's hard to say for sure. Theoretically it's possible for there to be a issue like one of the ones I mentioned, but applying more power overcomes it, especially if it's bearings. However it's equally if not more likely that there's just a discrepancy between the two that isn't identical...nothing "wrong" just an inconsistency.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back