Granite Voltage Upgrade Weak Point?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_J03y

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
So I've been having a ton of fun with my RedCat Volcano EPX, I'm currently in the middle of a full hop up and upgrade on it! After I fried my Daughter's Arrma Granite Voltage ESC, I searched and searched for a suitable receiver for the stock remote, which I couldn't find. Since we had to replace the receiver, that meant the ESC and Servo as well. So I went full brushless, 4300kv, 90A waterproof ESC and fan and a 25g servo. End of last week I had to replace the drive cups after day 1, found a nice metal set that's holding up well. Last night I confirmed the diff and idler are now stripped and shot, but I can't seem to find any upgraded parts. No one makes an upgraded, metal gear set? (Granite Voltage 4x2, not the Boost). If not, this seyup is way too much, I'd need a new diff every time I take it out.

Welcome to the forum! You're going through the same learning experience I did a few years back. In short, the Voltage is so-so in stock form and very fragile when upgraded.

No, there are no metal gear sets available to my knowledge.

Arrma 3S cars are a huge improvement over the Voltage for durability.

Iirc only Integy makes upgrades for the Voltage but I don't remember seeing any gear sets.

I was pretty disappointed with the granite voltage i bought for my son. He ran it, basically exclusively, on the lowest power setting and it still manage to break outdrives. And it's a royal pain to take apart to get to the internal. That reason alone made me sell it and upgrade to the blx. That took him alot longer to break, even when i started upping the power.

Imo Granite Voltage is best in its stock form. Brushed, slower, for beginners. The truck can barely handle itself with that stock power plant.

Also, I have a couple Redcat Volcano Pro's, crazy fun. (y)

Weak point of the granite voltage is there is no slipper clutch to absorb the drivetrain shock. The car was designed for the drive cups to give before damage to the drivetrain. Since you upgraded the drive cups that now put all the stress on the drivetrain as you found out. Best to go back to brushed and use it as a slow basher. It just can't handle brushless power the way it was designed. Ask me how I know?

You can run the higher powered motors but you need to be mindful of its weak points.
Don't gun it full throttle from a stop, don't land on throttle etc. If your easy on the drivetrain it should hold together for a while id think.
I did find a steel idler gear on ebay a while back for the voltage- check there. Integy used to sell a whole set but it was like $90 or something crazy.

I made an account so to say my sons voltage has an all metal diff and gear.
I must have bought it direct from integy I can't find the old part #s but I remember splitting the case and re doing the whole thing even in the diff and adding hot racing out drive cups as they looked beefier than integy and Integy drive shafts. His truck is a brick now as the ovonic 5200 mah 30c 2 s battery got turned motor so hot it melted the chassis where the screws mount the motor to it.
With all the parts his 100$ truck quickly became 400 and by then I should have just bought a BLX. We got a used one and are playing with that now. There's no comparison.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back