OH, NO, another mini crawler thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a SCX24 Deadbolt. We've made it a very capable little rig. My son uses it more often these days. It's fun but I like the 1/10 scale more. Although the 24th scale is easier to find or make a course for and parts are less expensive. There's a lot more aftermarket 1/24 parts available these days too.

1/24
20230123_131721.jpg

1/10
20230205_121905.jpg

20221115_171424.jpg

Last edited:
Well, after much internal dilemma, " I don't need this, I don't need this!!", I ordered the Hobby Plus T-Hunter Builders kit. Along with the oil shocks. Several of the reviewers didn't like the newer EVO with the 2 speed. The motor was mounted higher, and the ESC/REC was mounted sideways, making it harder to access. And the higher speed wasn't really necessary for a crawler. I'm already looking at mods, like moving the batt. to the front of the chassis, making the body tilt from the back for easy access, and whatever else I can figure out. Comes with a clear body, so I'm thinkin candy apple red with a black backer for a deep red color.

I picked up the FMS FCX24 Smasher and the FMS FCX24 Power Wagon.
The Smasher worked for like 5 min then died so it went back and the Power Wagon acts weird. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's a fast little bugger.
Then got the Team Associated Element RC Enduro24 Sendero which is actually better at crawling the the FMS's. The FMS tip over and get stuck all the time. Annoying.

Got them for the grandkids (3 and 5) but they're too rough for them.

Team Associated Element is 1S Lipo and I call it the Mr Slowly Truck - it'll get there, don't be inpatient.

IMG_5298.JPG

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5301.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah those are really cool, I love 6x6s. Those were on sale for 80 bucks at Horizon a few months ago, would have been a great deal but they sold out.
Unfortunately Horizon Hobby doesn't ship outside of the US and Canada. We don't seem to get those big price drops over here either.

I picked up the FMS FCX24 Smasher and the FMS FCX24 Power Wagon.
The Smasher worked for like 5 min then died so it went back and the Power Wagon acts weird. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's a fast little bugger.
Then got the Team Associated Element RC Enduro24 Sendero which is actually better at crawling the the FMS's. The FMS tip over and get stuck all the time. Annoying.

Got them for the grandkids (3 and 5) but they're too rough for them.

Team Associated Element is 1S Lipo and I call it the Mr Slowly Truck - it'll get there, don't be inpatient.

View attachment 308408

View attachment 308409

View attachment 308411
I haven't had any mechanical problems with my FMS mini crawlers, I did add some weight to lower the cg to help the balance. I also extended the wheelbase on my powerwagons.

This was before I extended the wheelbase.
PSX_20220716_202250.jpg

The Atlas is a pretty fun truck. It's a bit noisy but handles great.

Here she is with a little weathering.
PSX_20220410_140441.jpg

And playing king of the hill.
PSX_20220212_175145.jpg

I haven't had any mechanical problems with my FMS mini crawlers, I did add some weight to lower the cg to help the balance. I also extended the wheelbase on my powerwagons.

This was before I extended the wheelbase.
View attachment 308437

The Atlas is a pretty fun truck. It's a bit noisy but handles great.

Here she is with a little weathering.
View attachment 308438

And playing king of the hill.View attachment 308439
Is it the gearbox that's noise. Would grease on the gears help?

How are the quality of the fms 24's vs the axial?

I really love my deadbolt but I have a thing for those old power wagons also lol. The only crawler I own is the axial, never been around another to judge quality

I'm actually impressed with the FMS FCX24 line-up. Just like the SCX24's a few mods go a long way in performance, and after market support is there too. Having the two speed available is also a nice perk when ya just feel like toolin' around when your not crawling.

Very comparable stock, though the SCX24 has a better battery mounting solution. After a few upgrades on either you're largely into which body you like better IMO.

Well, after much internal dilemma, " I don't need this, I don't need this!!", I ordered the Hobby Plus T-Hunter Builders kit. Along with the oil shocks. Several of the reviewers didn't like the newer EVO with the 2 speed. The motor was mounted higher, and the ESC/REC was mounted sideways, making it harder to access. And the higher speed wasn't really necessary for a crawler. I'm already looking at mods, like moving the batt. to the front of the chassis, making the body tilt from the back for easy access, and whatever else I can figure out. Comes with a clear body, so I'm thinkin candy apple red with a black backer for a deep red color.
Good choice. (I've seen the reviews) You won't be dissappointed. Love mine.

Back