OH, NO, another mini crawler thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of guys at work are into these mini crawlers. TRX4M, FMS, SCX24, ect. I've been lookin' at the MAX Smasher, or just Smasher V2 now, I guess. Anybody got one of these? N.Mango, lookin' at you. Wonderin' if they're worth wastin' money on or not.
I wasn't into crawling at all, didn't think I'd like them. Then one day I decided to pick up a TRX4M Defender to see what the hype was all about. It's definitely a different experience. It's a lot more calm and slower than what you get with the larger Arrma rigs we're used to. I also like all the scale accessories, and the price point for upgrades are pretty cheap compared to the larger rigs. You can also drive them around the house or office if you don't wanna go outside. 2 weeks later I picked a TRX4M Bronco to go with the Defender. I also bought the Traxxas utility trailer. I'm still not a die-hard crawler by any means, but they are a nice change of pace. I'm happy with both of my purchases.

I wasn't into crawling at all, didn't think I'd like them. Then one day I decided to pick up a TRX4M Defender to see what the hype was all about. It's definitely a different experience. It's a lot more calm and slower than what you get with the larger Arrma rigs we're used to. I also like all the scale accessories, and the price point for upgrades are pretty cheap compared to the larger rigs. You can also drive them around the house or office if you don't wanna go outside. 2 weeks later I picked a TRX4M Bronco to go with the Defender. I also bought the Traxxas utility trailer. I'm still not a die-hard crawler by any means, but they are a nice change of pace. I'm happy with both of my purchases.
My co-workers have both of those, and they've already doubled the purchase price with upgrades. I didn't want to get that crazy with it. I've got two 10th scale crawlers that need upgrades already.

The Max Smasher is a lot of fun, but I'd class it as more of a MT than a crawler out of the box. Not that it can't crawl, but it comes setup with open diffs (can be locked w/included hardware) by default.

I've had an SCX24 for a while, they can be fun but of course you have to respect the limits of this smaller vehicle, larger rocks are pretty much boulders for these. I have fun just farting around with it occasionally, it's rather relaxing to watch it climb up and summit obstacles. I think crawling in general requires more skill/finesse than I possess, so the smaller ones seemed like a good way to get used to a completely different driving style while having some fun. And I have also heard the siren song of upgrades; tons of aftermarket goodies are out there and you can indeed go bananas, but I kept mine mostly stock save for some eBay shocks and HR +4 axle shafts. Obligatory flex shot:
IMG_3014.jpeg

(y)

Guilty - yes - TRX4M Ford Bronco. Seat cushions up to TV-table - up and down. Just for indoors. Fun for 15 minutes. Then again a week or two weeks later.

I've had an SCX24 for a while, they can be fun but of course you have to respect the limits of this smaller vehicle, larger rocks are pretty much boulders for these. I have fun just farting around with it occasionally, it's rather relaxing to watch it climb up and summit obstacles. I think crawling in general requires more skill/finesse than I possess, so the smaller ones seemed like a good way to get used to a completely different driving style while having some fun. And I have also heard the siren song of upgrades; tons of aftermarket goodies are out there and you can indeed go bananas, but I kept mine mostly stock save for some eBay shocks and HR +4 axle shafts. Obligatory flex shot:
View attachment 304378
(y)

Nice deadbolt!
Been looking at the offset stamped wheels for mine. Need a little more stance to it.
Me and wifey love challenging each other with mine.. I need to pick up her up one now lol.

Yeah, I've got the TRX4M. It's a fun and capable crawler right out of the box. But, I've went overboard on the hop-ups and mods. Easy to do. There's more since this pic. Lol.

20230114_192947.jpg

If you're looking for a budget friendly option, I can't say enough about this one. Portal axles with metal gears, radio with drag brake options and several other settings. The only complaint is the plastic transmission gears. Spend the 6 or 7 bucks for the metal ones. And some wheel weights in the front wheels. That's all we've done to ours. Very surprised. The rock van is cool looking and shares the same platform but, the bumpers and body catch on every thing.

https://www.fairrc.com/products/hobby-plus-cr18p-1-18-trail-hunter

20230320_171311.jpg

Highly recommend going through Fair RC. If you get a pop-up asking if you want "X" amount off on your first order say, YES! 5 bucks is 5 bucks. Sign up for their points program, too. Bought another for my son last Christmas. Didn't pay full price. Rolled some of those points into another for my grandson's birthday present. Swapped the wheels and tires for some softer Traxxas ones I had and added weight to the front tires. Stupified by the results.

https://www.fairrc.com/products/rochobby-1-18-fire-horse

Sorry for the long post. Just giving you my opinion and recommendations based on my experience so far. Do what you want with it

Yeah, I've got the TRX4M. It's a fun and capable crawler right out of the box. But, I've went overboard on the hop-ups and mods. Easy to do. There's more since this pic. Lol.

View attachment 304434

If you're looking for a budget friendly option, I can't say enough about this one. Portal axles with metal gears, radio with drag brake options and several other settings. The only complaint is the plastic transmission gears. Spend the 6 or 7 bucks for the metal ones. And some wheel weights in the front wheels. That's all we've done to ours. Very surprised. The rock van is cool looking and shares the same platform but, the bumpers and body catch on every thing.

https://www.fairrc.com/products/hobby-plus-cr18p-1-18-trail-hunter

View attachment 304455

Highly recommend going through Fair RC. If you get a pop-up asking if you want "X" amount off on your first order say, YES! 5 bucks is 5 bucks. Sign up for their points program, too. Bought another for my son last Christmas. Didn't pay full price. Rolled some of those points into another for my grandson's birthday present. Swapped the wheels and tires for some softer Traxxas ones I had and added weight to the front tires. Stupified by the results.

https://www.fairrc.com/products/rochobby-1-18-fire-horse

Sorry for the long post. Just giving you my opinion and recommendations based on my experience so far. Do what you want with it
Nice rigs sir. I have the TRX4M Bronco & Defender, but after I installed hub extensions on the Bronco the wheels rub when fully turning to the right. Any suggestions on fixing that? I was thinking of either going with the Injora 59mm shocks to raise it a bit, or using shock spacers to counteract the body lean on that side from the torque.

Thanks. Haven't figured out the torque issue yet. But, there are heavier springs. Debated trying those on the right side. Imagine it'll get worse when I install the low speed gears and the Holmes motor.

Do you have the larger Injora tires? My buddy does and he had the same issue. Both of us installed a set of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRX4M-Flex...p4429486.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Because of how they install it gives it a little lift. Much better and great articulation. Now mine looks stupid with the smaller tires. Lol. Just got a new set. Injora makes some aluminum ones for both the top and bottom. But most have found the top set makes the steering servo hit the frame and not worth the effort. Just stick with the bottom set.

Thanks. Haven't figured out the torque issue yet. But, there are heavier springs. Debated trying those on the right side. Imagine it'll get worse when I install the low speed gears and the Holmes motor.

Do you have the larger Injora tires? My buddy does and he had the same issue. Both of us installed a set of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRX4M-Flex...p4429486.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Because of how they install it gives it a little lift. Much better and great articulation. Now mine looks stupid with the smaller tires. Lol. Just got a new set. Injora makes some aluminum ones for both the top and bottom. But most have found the top set makes the steering servo hit the frame and not worth the effort. Just stick with the bottom set.
Thanks for the info. I'm still on stock tires. I'm gonna order the 59mm injora shocks and see what effect that has, then go from there. Those larger Injora tires do look really good though.

Most of the major players are putting out some really nice mini crawlers now. For straight out of the box capability, while still being reasonably priced, I would recommend the Axial AX24.

A lot of fun. I love my FMS FCX24's, the two speed transmissions really make them a good bang for the buck.

The Traxxas TRX4M's are nice too. The Axial SCX24 is still has the most aftermarket customizability but the others are gaining ground rapidly. If you want the ultimate mini crawler then you need to look at Furitek.

Nice thing is there are so many options no matter how involved you want to get. :)

I'm really lookin' hard at that Hobby Plus Trail Hunter. Seems to get pretty good reviews from the You Tube folks.

Whatever you decide your going to have a lot of fun. They are the perfect travel companion. :)

And now they introduced the EVO editions. Metal geared, 2 speed transmissions. New improvements, new colors and they brought the Harvester back. Kinda wished I waited.

Oh well. Love my Trail Hunter.

Back