Vorteks OMG winter is here! I never had so much fun!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heya, so the thing between the turnbuckles thing and the servo saver + first servo arm. The thing thats in betwen is super wobbly.
Here s a pic

View attachment 262416
That is the bell crank. You might also be referring to the Servo link, which is a small plastic piece between the bell crank and servo saver. They are what they are stock. I buy multiple sets of steering assemblies (bellcrank, link and servo saver) off of Jenny’s for a couple bucks each and swap them out every few months or so when steering begins to suffer.

I began running one of the below earlier this year and really like it, so much so that I bought two more for my 4s builds. They run between 17-19 bucks on Amazon. I like the s652 servo (from the 6s line) in my 3 and 4s cars. They are just 20 bucks on Jenny’s and I haven’t had one fail in 18 months. They may be weak for the 6s line but are great for the 3s line. They work with the stock Servo saver also, which I get cheap as described above. The thing about ordering off Jenny’s is to get as many of the parts you need as possible in order to save on shipping.

GLOBACT Aluminum Alloy Steering Bellcrank and Steering Link, with Ball Bearing Upgrade Parts Set for 1/10 Arrma Senton 4X4 Granite 4X4 Typhon 4X4 Kraton 4X4 Big Rock 4X4 Replaces AR340132 (Blue) https://a.co/d/dwFEbqc

02925038-A55D-489C-A23F-3ACEAC3ABE87.png

Last edited:
That is the bell crank. You might also be referring to the Servo link, which is a small plastic piece between the bell crank and servo saver. They are what they are stock. I buy multiple sets of steering assemblies (bellcrank, link and servo saver) off of Jenny’s for a couple bucks each and swap them out every few months or so when steering begins to suffer.

I began running one of the below earlier this year and really like it, so much so that I bought two more for my 4s builds. They run between 17-19 bucks on Amazon. I like the s652 servo (from the 6s line) in my 3 and 4s cars. They are just 20 bucks on Jenny’s and I haven’t had one fail in 18 months. They may be weak for the 6s line but are great for the 3s line. They work with the stock Servo saver also, which I get cheap as described above. The thing about ordering off Jenny’s is to get as many of the parts you need as possible in order to save on shipping.

GLOBACT Aluminum Alloy Steering Bellcrank and Steering Link, with Ball Bearing Upgrade Parts Set for 1/10 Arrma Senton 4X4 Granite 4X4 Typhon 4X4 Kraton 4X4 Big Rock 4X4 Replaces AR340132 (Blue) https://a.co/d/dwFEbqc

View attachment 262429
Yep, thats the one. Its so wiggly that I can move my tyres around without actually the servo moving. 🤷‍♂️

This is the video. Im yet to shim the arms, that ll stop some wheel wobbling, but this looks super bad :/

Yup you can shim the arms. Also replacing the composite balls with metal helps. Team associated makes good ones that fit but they are a bit expensive at 8/10 bucks a package, so I prefer the complete Traxxas slash and rustler turnbuckles on Jenny’s for 15-16 bucks. They are a bit stronger than Arrmas and already have metal balls. Just keep in mind that there’s always going to be in inherent amount of slop in these plastic cars.

82528AF9-651B-44A5-8987-D2A19F494C7E.png

FAA85420-5800-468A-A265-ED15807EEBA2.png

62175DF8-D15C-4CF8-9A21-97B7C4141B0F.png

Yup you can shim the arms. Also replacing the composite balls with metal helps. Team associated makes good ones that fit but they are a bit expensive at 8/10 bucks a package, so I prefer the complete Traxxas slash and rustler turnbuckles on Jenny’s for 15-16 bucks. They are a bit stronger than Arrmas and already have metal balls. Just keep in mind that there’s always going to be in inherent amount of slop in these plastic cars.

View attachment 262454

View attachment 262456

View attachment 262457
Im fine w some, but this is extensive. I am also comparing w my sons cheap FTX Tracer arms and they just stay so cool, no wobbling

Btw, i cant see rubber sealed ball hearings, how can i take care of my bearings after snow bashing?

Im fine w some, but this is extensive. I am also comparing w my sons cheap FTX Tracer arms and they just stay so cool, no wobbling

Btw, i cant see rubber sealed ball hearings, how can i take care of my bearings after snow bashing?
I don’t regularly bash in the wet. I wanted to a little bit lately so I built a parts bin typhon to do it with. After 6 weeks it’s pretty thrashed, so I’m taking it back apart and throwing away the bearings/screws and any rusty bits.. Hopefully people more experienced with snow and wet driving will chime in.

I don’t regularly bash in the wet. I wanted to a little bit lately so I built a parts bin typhon to do it with. After 6 weeks it’s pretty thrashed, so I’m taking it back apart and throwing away the bearings/screws and any rusty bits.. Hopefully people more experienced with snow and wet driving will chime in.
Its hard cuz the car has about 12-13 pairs of bearings. If I have to change them pair by pair, I better buy a whole new Vorteks blx and just use parts I need and sell the rest, seriously. A body, 4 tyres, motor + esc, transmitter + receiver are probably making up for the cars price.

Otherwise, even just 5-6 pairs of bearings are £40-60 :/

Its hard cuz the car has about 12-13 pairs of bearings. If I have to change them pair by pair, I better buy a whole new Vorteks blx and just use parts I need and sell the rest, seriously. A body, 4 tyres, motor + esc, transmitter + receiver are probably making up for the cars price.

Not all bearings wear evenly. This hobby is excessive for sure. I have 8 or 9 cars and they can be expensive to maintain so I have my favorites I beat the crud out of. Others I’m nicer with. Many hobbies are expensive, just have to find ones that are ‘worth it’ to you. I also love rock tumbling and am learning to make jewelry. That’s also getting expensive but I enjoy it and my loved ones do as well.

Not sure of availability for you in the uk, but check Fast Eddy or Jim's bearings. They sell em in packages that include every bearing needed for the whole car. I'm sure there are other kinds (avid?) but those are the 2 I'm familiar with. The fast eddy kits are only about $25 here.
I've been running in the wet mucky mud recently (no snow here yet😕) After cleaning I'll pop the bearings out & turn them in my fingers. If there's any grittiness to them I'll 1st add a couple drops of bearing oil to smooth them out. If that doesn't work you can very carefully pop the outer race off w/ an x-acto knife, then clean with alcohol and then repack with grease

Not sure of availability for you in the uk, but check Fast Eddy or Jim's bearings. They sell em in packages that include every bearing needed for the whole car. I'm sure there are other kinds (avid?) but those are the 2 I'm familiar with. The fast eddy kits are only about $25 here.
I've been running in the wet mucky mud recently (no snow here yet😕) After cleaning I'll pop the bearings out & turn them in my fingers. If there's any grittiness to them I'll 1st add a couple drops of bearing oil to smooth them out. If that doesn't work you can very carefully pop the outer race off w/ an x-acto knife, then clean with alcohol and then repack with grease
None of those are on modelsport ;/ i might put together a jennyrc and order it to UK, I just gotta make sure they offer proper tracking

I love working on it, so its cool. I just changed shock oils and it was the best time to go and rip it. The dusty motors cover also did well, so snow didnt get into the electrics at all
That's the trick right there - I'm surprised how many photos get posted of cars packed to the brim with snow. Huge pain in the butt, plus it'll fry your motor since it insulates it like an igloo.. the dust covers are like $20 and not a drop of moisture gets into the car! Just gotta WD40 all the bearings to get the water out of there.

That's the trick right there - I'm surprised how many photos get posted of cars packed to the brim with snow. Huge pain in the butt, plus it'll fry your motor since it insulates it like an igloo.. the dust covers are like $20 and not a drop of moisture gets into the car! Just gotta WD40 all the bearings to get the water out of there.
I am new to this whole thing, is wd-40 = bearing oil, or I gotta add the bearing oil after that?

Also, whats the phenomen where I check a bearing and its good. Then I add bearing oil and I feel the bearing starts cracking 🤷‍♂️

lus it'll fry your motor since it insulates it like an igloo.. the dust covers are like $20 and not a drop of moisture gets into the car! Just gotta WD40 all the bearings to get the water out of there.
The reason why it fries the motor might have something with insulation, I think it is paddle tires or the high speed for long amounts of time to move the same amount of snow.

Whatever you do, DON'T put wd-40 on ANY of the bearings. It leaves a thin film on the bearings and packs the bearings up.

The reason why it fries the motor might have something with insulation, I think it is paddle tires or the high speed for long amounts of time to move the same amount of snow.

Whatever you do, DON'T put wd-40 on ANY of the bearings. It leaves a thin film on the bearings and packs the bearings up.
Interesting - how do you clean your bearings? Never had a problem with mine, the only place I really use it is in the hubs and those suckers last forever on all my cars. Probably the part I've replaced the least.

Interesting - how do you clean your bearings?
My bearings don't really get dirty other than a little mud/dirt on the shields, so I don't really "clean them out". For maintenance, I think the way you are supposed to do it is by putting some bearing grease (might be the same as regular grease) in the bearings.

My bearings don't really get dirty other than a little mud/dirt on the shields, so I don't really "clean them out". For maintenance, I think the way you are supposed to do it is by putting some bearing grease (might be the same as regular grease) in the bearings.
Oh yeah I don't actually take them apart and clean them. For $19 for an entire new set for the whole car, it isn't worth spending hours pulling off shielding and all of that nonsense. I just shove some grease in there and call it a day. Haven't had any problems - then again I don't run in wet conditions hardly ever so worst case scenario one seizes up and I replace it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back