Kraton Ordering Kraton, what else should be in my cart!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimboF150

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey guys,

Been waging war mentally over a typhon vs a kraton in the past few months, lol.

Getting myself an end to the work season present (I'm a landscaper, November is the end, lol)

Thinking the Kraton because badass looks, and the potential for better winter snow bashing.

When I order my Kraton online let's say, can you guys tell me the best possible things add in my cart along with it?
(Keep in my mind I'm brand new to RC, I want to enjoy the stock version and get to know everything about it)

1. Batteries? Thinking a 4s and 6s
2. Charger, something that works well and is easy to use.
3. Anything else??

Is the pinion gear for example, difficult to change? That would be my first tune up, lol

I just want to use it stock, and then eventually upgrade it.

I'm in Canada, trying to find the best website to order from or hobby store.

Hey guys,

Been waging war mentally over a typhon vs a kraton in the past few months, lol.

Getting myself an end to the work season present (I'm a landscaper, November is the end, lol)

Thinking the Kraton because badass looks, and the potential for better winter snow bashing.

When I order my Kraton online let's say, can you guys tell me the best possible things add in my cart along with it?
(Keep in my mind I'm brand new to RC, I want to enjoy the stock version and get to know everything about it)

1. Batteries? Thinking a 4s and 6s
2. Charger, something that works well and is easy to use.
3. Anything else??

Is the pinion gear for example, difficult to change? That would be my first tune up, lol

I just want to use it stock, and then eventually upgrade it.

I'm in Canada, trying to find the best website to order from or hobby store.
You can add another kraton for me lol. Where about in Canada do you live?

Yes, a charger, if you don't have a strong one. I'd recommend at minimum, 200w per channel. Also 2 channels, if you can afford it.

For the pinion, just drop in the included "speed" pinion, if you plan on running 4s. If 6s, keep the smaller stock pinion.

I got a V3 Kraton last week, 4 packs through it so far. I only run it on 4S. I don't think it really needs anything out of the box. I don't abuse it but its seen a lot of jumps, nose dives, cart wheels and landed on its roof a few times. The only mod i have done is a aluminum servo mount and i will be adding a YeahRacing fan to the motor. Running in the sand, i was getting around 150-160 degrees at the motor...mind you it was HOT out, 95+ degrees.

Just get a good 2-channel charger; i like the Reedy 1216 but it really comes down to personal preference.
Get at least two 4S or four 3S packs. With a 4S 5200mAh pack i get about 20 minutes of run time.

It includes tools, but get yourself a decent set of drivers to make your life easier.

Also changing the pinion out is really easy. Stock gearing is working okay for me.

The only other upgrades i am doing are T-Bone front and rear bumpers; not necessary but a nice to have. I would also plan to replace the stock servo at some point, but i was pleasantly surprised how well its holding up. I am also not a big fan of the tires included, mainly because they don't work well on sand (Which is mostly all i run on). Pro-Line Badlands or Trenchers on my future upgrade list.

Have fun, its a great rig!

Last edited:
Changing the pinion is easy. Make sure you have blue locktite. I highly recommend buying a set of MIP drivers. They will save you from stripping the head of a screw. I had a very aggravating experience with a motor mount screw and had to drill it out and then buy a new motor mount. I've since then bought the MIP driver set and love them. T-Bone parts are great in my opinion but a lot of people have been complaining about them lately. Taking forever to manufacture and ship them and the parts don't fit or the holes are drilled in the wrong spots. Just a warning. I personally never had those issues with them but I bought my stuff back in March. The servo and servo mount is a must upgrade. The stock mount flexes too much and the stock servo probably won't last you very long. There's threads on here for all that stuff if you have the time to look it up.

Spend the money on a good charger. That's one of those things you buy for the future more so than for "right now".

If you intend on running 6S, get the yeah racing dual motor fan, or the hobby wing single 40mm fan. The HW one requires you crimping it in a vice so it fits the motor snug, but it's only $10USD, so I went that route with mine.

I only run 4S so far in my outcast, but my motor still ran up to 160-170F before the fan. Now it runs around 130F. The outcast is less open of a chassis, so there's less air flow in there. Seems to run warmer than my buddies talion and he runs 6S.

Do you guys think the Typhon would require fewer upgrades initially, like would it run better and cooler on stock?

Do I need to worry about over-heating, changing parts (servo's etc) right away?

I just want to have minimal maintenance if I drop close to a $1000 on one of these toys!

Between batteries, chargers, upgrades etc, this reads like its a lot of work! lol

Thanks for your advice everyone, these forums are great.

Kraton and Typhon both run very well stock. If you keep bearings clean, they last ok. The servo works fine but is susceptible to gears breaking. Definitely do not cheap out on chargers and batteries. I use a junsi icharger 308 duo, it works awesome lots of power for 6s and/or parallel charging.

Kraton and Typhon both run very well stock. If you keep bearings clean, they last ok. The servo works fine but is susceptible to gears breaking. Definitely do not cheap out on chargers and batteries. I use a junsi icharger 308 duo, it works awesome lots of power for 6s and/or parallel charging.
Okay thanks bro, what kind of batteries do you use?

I have some Dynamite 5000 2s, 3s and 4s. They are not the cheapest but shipping lipo to Canada is a pain. My friend has some Power Hobby batteries that I have used in my Kraton and they work very well. They are relatively cheap, don't come out of the Kraton hot even after hard use and they are light.

Do you guys think the Typhon would require fewer upgrades initially, like would it run better and cooler on stock?

Do I need to worry about over-heating, changing parts (servo's etc) right away?

I just want to have minimal maintenance if I drop close to a $1000 on one of these toys!

Between batteries, chargers, upgrades etc, this reads like its a lot of work! lol

Thanks for your advice everyone, these forums are great.
They all require pretty much the same maintenance. The only things with a typhon is that the arms and stock servo may hold up longer because there is less leverage with smaller tires/shorter arms than the talion/kraton/outcast. It may even run cooler with less weight in the drivetrain, shorter cvd's, smaller tires/wheels.

The issue with a buggy is that you can't drive it in as many places and they do not do well on snow due to the small tires/low ground clearance.

I suppose you could do what rich duperbash did and put 2.8" trenchers on it, so you double the tire width. I think that's what he did with one of his. It won't raise it much though, if any.

Roger that, just saw that, how long do you think it takes to charge a 4s?

Can that charger do multiple batteries?

Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back