Granite Pinion clip fails

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiznatodd bidness

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I recently changed pinions around and forgot to loctite the set screw on the motor shaft. I ran a good 10-15 mins before I heard grinding. Turns out the pinion came loose and the tiny snap ring on the end came off and pulverized itself on the gearing. I replaced the ring and loctited this time, however, the snap ring/retaining clip again came off and ground around after about 5 mins. This time the pinion is still locked down.

Anybody else have issues with that?

I recently changed pinions around and forgot to loctite the set screw on the motor shaft. I ran a good 10-15 mins before I heard grinding. Turns out the pinion came loose and the tiny snap ring on the end came off and pulverized itself on the gearing. I replaced the ring and loctited this time, however, the snap ring/retaining clip again came off and ground around after about 5 mins. This time the pinion is still locked down.

Anybody else have issues with that?
That is odd, I have never had one come off.

It’s not an uncommon issue. Most suggest getting rid of the Safe-D pinions and the snap ring and just going to better pinions with bigger grub screws like Tekno or Saga. Those need thread lock as well, but the bigger grub screws are awesome.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back