Pivot ball blues..AKA blue balls?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnowAir

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
So, my brother picked up an O8S roller at $400 a few months back. After building it out with a Max6/1100 combo and Savox servo, seems like he can't get through a battery pack without one side falling apart or the steering locking up from the other side tightening up? What gives with the 8s pivot ball retainers? Do we really have to buy aftermarket parts just to use it? I see the 8s setup uses one piece pivot ball caps instead of the 2 piece that the 6s rigs use. What's up with that?

You can say it, I know you wanna!😉🤣
I'm concerned since I do intend on getting an 8s Arrma myself. God willing, LOL. Who knows if that ship full of O8S roller's will ever show. I do have it on order, can't resist for the price. But yeah, even with what little use my brothers has had, I'm seeing some shortcomings already. The steering setup is pretty strange..alot of plastic there for such a big heavy rig.

Never had them tighten but mine do get loose sometimes. Never had it end a run before though.

I had my 6s balls tighten/bind up extremely much just from running in fine Clay dirt. To the point the Steering all but locked up. Happens to my Closed wheel Bodied Mojave most often. Clay dirt seems to pack up into the Mojo PB's and jams them up good.(n) They literaly make a loud squeak when they do bind up. Steering becomes practically Nill...
PB's need alot of attention in general. I prefer C-Hub chassis for the most part on basher platforms. If I have a choice. One reason why I feel Tekno MT410 rocks.
I find a dry Wax lube onto the 4 Balls, can prevent this sometimes. Powdered Graphite onto the balls, is what many Track pros use. But PB's still need frequent attention. Always need adjusting. Many ignore cleaning and adjusting them, thinking first, the Servo saver or Servo is at fault. Most times not the case.

>> I seen some guys place Tape over the PB nut Hex hole and this prevents dirt from packing within the Hub onto the PB's joint. It works.
I tried that with my Mojo.
I sometimes polish my Pivot balls in a drill with Jewelers Rouge Metal polish, to get them real smooth. Clean out the Hubs well...etc.
Few do this, I get that.
But it does work, when taking things to the next level.
FWIW, Arrma Pivot balls are far from any great quality or precision to begin with, unlike other Better brand Kits. They are not precision ground circularly well at all. Look at them cosely and you can see this.

Last edited:
Yep, we were looking at those.. HR sells them too. Not sure I'd bother with the tool myself.
All you need is a little Teflon tape or HVAC metal backed tape. I used HVAC tape and they have never moved again.

I would avoid using super glue (I have see it done)..

Post in thread 'What Did You Jerry Rig Today?' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-jerry-rig-today.46229/post-808682
That's first on the list to try, teflon tape, then maybe some silicone sealant if needed. The upgrade retainers are last on the list. He's a bit sour over the O8S thus far. Loves the way it runs/drives, not too crazy about it just falling apart however..can't say I blame him there. He has also had pins just fall out of the rear dogbones.
Never had them tighten but mine do get loose sometimes. Never had it end a run before though.
Yeah, it's weird, some seem to hold, others don't. I still wonder why Arrma went with a one piece retainer though. I'm guessing the v2 rtr is still using one piece retainers? I saw Duperbash went M2C straight away with his.

Last edited:
They’re a well known issue.. Arrma tried putting o-rings on them but they still do it! ☹️
Teflon works for some but the M2C retainers are the permanent fix imo.

All you need is a little Teflon tape or HVAC metal backed tape. I used HVAC tape and they have never moved again
So you just taped over the outside and it held? Wow, surprised. We were thinkinking of wrapping the threads of the cap and installing.
For the record, both my bro and I actually wanted the K8 over the O8 but missed the boat..
Now, I'm pretty convinced that I have missed the boat on the O8S..😔
I have the electronics ready to go, so even though I feel the v2 are perfect for my use, I'm already partially invested to the roller. I actually have the v2 electronics.
Then there's the XRT which I know I'd like but, what to do with the Firma stuff? Guess I could sell.. I think the 5687 would be overkill for a TRX 8s? To me, what makes TRX 8s attractive is the light weight, low power consumption/needs.

The other issue I was having is the pivot balls were bending with the huge air I like to get. After replacing them with the HR ones I haven’t bent another. Both my trucks are OG V1’s tho so idk if that makes any difference.

The other issue I was having is the pivot balls were bending with the huge air I like to get. After replacing them with the HR ones I haven’t bent another. Both my trucks are OG V1’s tho so idk if that makes any difference.
Yeah, seeing them on video definitely doesn't do them justice..once you pick one up, wow!! Hard to believe they stay together on the landings!!
According to JRC, the pivot balls are the same acrossed the 8s line.

Yep, we were looking at those.. HR sells them too. Not sure I'd bother with the tool myself.

That's first on the list to try, teflon tape, then maybe some silicone sealant if needed. The upgrade retainers are last on the list. He's a bit sour over the O8S thus far. Loves the way it runs/drives, not too crazy about it just falling apart however..can't say I blame him there. He has also had pins just fall out of the rear dogbones.

Yeah, it's weird, some seem to hold, others don't. I still wonder why Arrma went with a one piece retainer though. I'm guessing the v2 rtr is still using one piece retainers? I saw Duperbash went M2C straight away with his.
Rich D is always going to go with any and all the M2C stuff., lets face it. It's free for him... Promoting the company and all. Wouldn't you do the same?:giggle:
6s has 2 piece retainers. Has sway bars and Droop screws etc, 8s not. What gives???? No droop screws etc. Sway bars?? These are simple cheap parts.... yet excluded on a 8s $1k platform.
So disappointing that 8s is to me.
To this day. Will probably be that way when it becomes the V7.0:giggle:

Last edited:
So you just taped over the outside and it held? Wow, surprised. We were thinkinking of wrapping the threads of the cap and installing.
For the record, both my bro and I actually wanted the K8 over the O8 but missed the boat..
Now, I'm pretty convinced that I have missed the boat on the O8S..😔
I have the electronics ready to go, so even though I feel the v2 are perfect for my use, I'm already partially invested to the roller. I actually have the v2 electronics.
Then there's the XRT which I know I'd like but, what to do with the Firma stuff? Guess I could sell.. I think the 5687 would be overkill for a TRX 8s? To me, what makes TRX 8s attractive is the light weight, low power consumption/needs.
Yep check this out:

Post in thread 'What Did You Jerry Rig Today?' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-jerry-rig-today.46229/post-808682

Has to be strong tape like the metal HVAC type. Seems to be holding well, not sure the brand I used. 🤔

Maybe I just don't bash as hard as you guys though?

Rich D is always going to go with any and all the M2C stuff., lets face it. It's free for him... Promoting the company and all. Wouldn't you do the same?:giggle:
6s has 2 piece retainers. Has sway bars and Droop screws etc, 8s not. What gives???? No droop screws etc. Sway bars?? These are simple cheap parts.... yet excluded on a 8s $1k platform.
So disappointing that 8s is to me.
To this day. Will probably be that way when it becomes the V7.0:giggle:
Yeah, I'm starting to get the picture on the 8s line.. not gonna knock it, they have that WOW factor. Certainly not winning the "bang for the buck" award, unless I can build it for under $700, which is where I'll be if the $400 roller ever ships.. hard to beat I'd say.🤷‍♂️
Yep check this out:

Has to be strong tape like the metal HVAC type. Seems to be holding well, not sure the brand I used. 🤔

Yeah, I did look, thanks for the tip. I have some of the foil backed window installation tape. Should work?

Last edited:
Give me one for free and I would still have to think about it... and I would probably sell it off to the next guy who likes 30+ pounds of BIG stuff.
I blame Arrma and not this 8s 1/5 platform itself. Potential WAS always there.
Arrma should have done a way better job. Arrma should have just stayed in their lane.
Away from 1/5 scale and trying to oust the X-Maxx.

Last edited:
Meanwhile I've never even felt the need to do anything about mine as it's been pretty much a non issue and just something I have to tighten after every couple of runs. I do like the m2c bits that came with my 2nd kraton 8s though. That thing is hard AF to tighten/loosen.

My brother and I run on a track almost exclusively. We don't hit ramps (often) or do any real high speed stuff. However, I'll say track running on a rough, high grip surface is as hard on the drivetrain and suspension as anything I'm convinced. We are also using trees as turn "markers". Let me tell ya, brushing a tree at speed with an 8s will make ur butt pucker!!😯😬😓
Meanwhile I've never even felt the need to do anything about mine as it's been pretty much a non issue and just something I have to tighten after every couple of runs. I do like the m2c bits that came with my 2nd kraton 8s though. That thing is hard AF to tighten/loosen.
Yeah, it's weird cuz I've never had an issue with pivot ball suspension. Even my old Thunder Tiger MT4 is still solid at 13 years old. Pivot ball suspension is my brother's kryptonite.. every pivot ball rig gives him trouble.. well, except the Typhon 6s. He has 2 E Revo's, which are pivot ball front AND rear.. then the K6, Talion exb, both of which are now HR equipped for hubs, TC Kronos has even given him problems.. meanwhile I have the Mojo, K6, Kronos, MT4, even a Tmaxx that I've never had problems with pivot balls..crazy.🤷‍♂️
Give me one for free and I would still have to think about it... and I would probably sell it off to the next guy who likes 30+ pounds of BIG stuff.
I blame Arrma and not this 8s 1/5 platform itself. Potential WAS always there.
Arrma should have done a way better job. Arrma should have just stayed in their lane.
Away from 1/5 scale and trying to oust the X-Maxx.
Shh.. ur giving me second thoughts!! We haven't even discussed repair and maintenance costs yet!!🤣🤣

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back