Typhon Please Help - 3S series question - Buy Typhon to convert to wide Big Rock, or buy a Big Rock and widen it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lipp85

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Please help with my 3s series question! Sorry a bit long, but explaining my thoughts and questions.

Buying 2 vehicle setups for my kids Birthdays. Son is getting 3s Typhon. Daughter wants 3S Big Rock, but I know need to widen stance and want to add wider tires based on research due to flipping and also to make look awesome. Wanting to do widened Big Rock over Granite so not wheelie machine.

Original thought was go down to 12mm hubs for more 2.8 tire options but then know 17mm stronger. (Hot Racing hub adapters not cheapest option) Leaning towards 2.8 Proline Trencher/Badlands for beefy stance and performance. Was thinking RPM Typhon arms and Typhon turnbuckles for helping widen stance instead of long hub extenders for durability. Also would add Proline wheels with 1/2" offset (yes going for WIDE). She likes wide look of my Kraton 6s but wants a truck body.

Main question now: Knowledgeable person at hobby store today said buy daughter a Typhon and strip it down and buy Big Rock body mounts and a body. This way starting with already widened and 17mm hubs. Is it really that simple? (Perk with this way is all the take offs become sons spare parts). Also feel could come out cheaper this path than starting with Big Rock and widening. Are there any other major differences between 3s Typhon and 3s Big Rock in other parts of cars that Big Rock has larger/more durable pieces?
Thank you!

Please help with my 3s series question! Sorry a bit long, but explaining my thoughts and questions.

Buying 2 vehicle setups for my kids Birthdays. Son is getting 3s Typhon. Daughter wants 3S Big Rock, but I know need to widen stance and want to add wider tires based on research due to flipping and also to make look awesome. Wanting to do widened Big Rock over Granite so not wheelie machine.

Original thought was go down to 12mm hubs for more 2.8 tire options but then know 17mm stronger. (Hot Racing hub adapters not cheapest option) Leaning towards 2.8 Proline Trencher/Badlands for beefy stance and performance. Was thinking RPM Typhon arms and Typhon turnbuckles for helping widen stance instead of long hub extenders for durability. Also would add Proline wheels with 1/2" offset (yes going for WIDE). She likes wide look of my Kraton 6s but wants a truck body.

Main question now: Knowledgeable person at hobby store today said buy daughter a Typhon and strip it down and buy Big Rock body mounts and a body. This way starting with already widened and 17mm hubs. Is it really that simple? (Perk with this way is all the take offs become sons spare parts). Also feel could come out cheaper this path than starting with Big Rock and widening. Are there any other major differences between 3s Typhon and 3s Big Rock in other parts of cars that Big Rock has larger/more durable pieces?
Thank you!

I haven't experienced durability concerns widening my Big Rock with just extensions. The truck is light. I think the stance and stability can be reached with much less cost vs changing arms, shafts, etc. I also feel that generating spare parts "just in case" may not be necessary. I haven't broken any arms on my 3s trucks and my philosophy is to replace or upgrade only when it's been broken. The radio specifically is an exception to this rule and should be considered in total cost of the vehicle. I'll even mention bearings considered but I don't often replace right out of the box. It all depends on the terrain and how we drive. I may go six months without needing new bearings but I have more than one truck that I run so none get 100% of my driving time and abuse. Shocks will eventually leak and may be another concern to keep in mind when considering costs over six months driving time.
I love my Big Rock Crew Cab and I always recommend to others as long as they're willing to upgrade the radio, widen the stance and fit 2.8 tires. Most use Badlands and I've also run Trenchers. Badlands I prefer for performance and Trenchers for aesthetics.
Either choices you make, I strongly feel you're in great shape sticking with Arrma. Cross-utilization of parts especially a bonus. Arrma is fast and tough and they're proud to make the claims they make.
Welcome to the forum!

1595727370388.png
1595727274591.png

1595727315201.png

Thank you!
I did this converted my typhon 3s to a bigrock 4s bougth the body side guards tower brace body mounts remived the wingmount and bolted badlands mx28 17mm hex
I haven't experienced durability concerns widening my Big Rock with just extensions. The truck is light. I think the stance and stability can be reached with much less cost vs changing arms, shafts, etc. I also feel that generating spare parts "just in case" may not be necessary. I haven't broken any arms on my 3s trucks and my philosophy is to replace or upgrade only when it's been broken. The radio specifically is an exception to this rule and should be considered in total cost of the vehicle. I'll even mention bearings considered but I don't often replace right out of the box. It all depends on the terrain and how we drive. I may go six months without needing new bearings but I have more than one truck that I run so none get 100% of my driving time and abuse. Shocks will eventually leak and may be another concern to keep in mind when considering costs over six months driving time.
I love my Big Rock Crew Cab and I always recommend to others as long as they're willing to upgrade the radio, widen the stance and fit 2.8 tires. Most use Badlands and I've also run Trenchers. Badlands I prefer for performance and Trenchers for aesthetics.
Either choices you make, I strongly feel you're in great shape sticking with Arrma. Cross-utilization of parts especially a bonus. Arrma is fast and tough and they're proud to make the claims they make.
Welcome to the forum!

View attachment 91273View attachment 91271
View attachment 91272
How does the rear granite bumper is doings? Im running the stock typhon wingmount but i cutted it to allow me to bolt the wheelie bar looks a bit silly

Thank you!
Question is do you want to run 14 or 17mm hexes? 1. Big Rock and use Typhon A-Arms and turn buckles use the Big Rock wheels 2. Big Rock with 17mm hex adapters. 3. Typhon with Big Rock body, posts and bumpers and a few other parts ????

How does the rear granite bumper is doings?

I like the Granite bumpers a lot for looks because I'm not big on chrome. Front and rear I switched out for very cheap. They don't really protect much but so far I haven't needed TBone or anything.

Welcome to the forum!

View attachment 91273View attachment 91271
View attachment 91272
So what is your favorite and most durable choice for hub extensions. Guessing by your post your recomondation is to start with Big Rock.
I did this converted my typhon 3s to a bigrock 4s bougth the body side guards tower brace body mounts remived the wingmount and bolted badlands mx28 17mm hex

How does the rear granite bumper is doings? Im running the stock typhon wingmount but i cutted it to allow me to bolt the wheelie bar looks a bit silly
Surchaufeur - How did it work out converting the Typhon 3s over. is it really just those few parts as the difference in the swap? I know the main frame is the same. Thanks.

So what is your favorite and most durable choice for hub extensions. Guessing by your post your recomondation is to start with Big Rock.

Surchaufeur - How did it work out converting the Typhon 3s over. is it really just those few parts as the difference in the swap? I know the main frame is the same. Thanks.

I use the Hot Racing ones and did it a weird way when the BRCC first came out. Went from 14mm to 12mm duratrax adapter hubs. Then from 12mm to 17mm adapters / extension. I think they're a 6mm wider but can't remember. Shortly afterward Hot Racing made 14mm-17mm hubs with 10mm extensions.

If M2C had a product that would convert 14mm to 17mm with extension I'd absolutely buy from them no matter the cost (not sure and haven't checked) but Hot Racing is the one I think most here on the forum buy for the BLX 3s trucks.

Not sure which is the more economical option. Just price out the parts.
Typhon to Big Rock - body mounts, tower braces, side guards, Big Rock body
Big Rock with Typhon arms - Typhon arms, hexes, axles, turnbuckles

I think it's a good decision to go with Typhon arms over Hot Racing 10mm extensions. The Hot Racing extenders can be problematic. They are held on by loc-tite. If the loc-tite comes loose, the wheels fly off. The loc-tite also snaps the axles. I've switched to Typhon arms/axles/hexes. The Typhon axles are thicker than Granite/Big Rock axles and do not rely on loc-tite to stay on. The hexes will also allow you to use 17mm wheels.

Last edited:
Not sure which is the more economical option. Just price out the parts.
Typhon to Big Rock - body mounts, tower braces, side guards, Big Rock body
Big Rock with Typhon arms - Typhon arms, hexes, axles, turnbuckles

I think it's a good decision to go with Typhon arms over Hot Racing 10mm extensions. The Hot Racing extenders can be problematic. They are held on by loc-tite. If the loc-tite comes loose, the wheels fly off. The loc-tite also snaps the axles. I've switched to Typhon arms/axles/hexes. The Typhon axles are thicker than Granite/Big Rock axles and do not rely on loc-tite to stay on. The hexes will also allow you to use 17mm wheels.
Hexes extenders are not a great thing to do to an rc just like irl cars you fk the suspension setting

Yup
-side guards
-body posts
-bigrock body
-granite bumper front rear with the bumper springs
-badlands mx28
i added the 4s tower brace too i think thats it

Thank You everyone so much for feedback. I have priced it out and comes out basically same cost or cheaper to convert Typhon and perk is I get to keep spares for my sons car. Also due to this forum, I have seen there should be some updates coming to the 3S line and looks like Typhon first one up, so win, win, win. Appreciate all the advice! Going to be a beast when done in a few months once can get the new versions.

@Lipp85 I agree with converting the Typhon. I just converted a Senton to a Big Rock and I bought the HR 17mm extenders but haven't installed them yet. I did a Kraton Tower Brace from JennyRC also so I bought Kraton body mounts (need two sets because Big Rock uses two of the Kraton Fronts and Zero of the rears lol)

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_201624.jpg
    IMG_20200728_201624.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20200728_202116.jpg
    IMG_20200728_202116.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200728_202145.jpg
    IMG_20200728_202145.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 54
  • mmexport1594885812688_2.jpg
    mmexport1594885812688_2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 50
  • mmexport1595565057999_2.jpg
    mmexport1595565057999_2.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 51
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back